Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little perspective. I took a look at last years final ranking it took just over 240 points to be top 20 and 225 to be top 25 we are currently at about 189 because Alexander adds 7.18 points to our total. A final recruiting ranking of top 25 or even top 20 is very much within reach.

A little perspective. I took a look at last years final ranking it took just over 240 points to be top 20 and 225 to be top 25 we are currently at about 189 because Alexander adds 7.18 points to our total. A final recruiting ranking of top 25 or even top 20 is very much within reach.
I think inside of Top 30 is within reach.

We won't have a class of 25 players this go round, so that'll cut into our point total a lot. Average ranking is more important IMO.

We won't have a class of 25 players this go round, so that'll cut into our point total a lot. Average ranking is more important IMO.

Team rankings are definitely a bit misleading with the way the numbers are calculated because they do rely so heavily on the number of recruits in the class. Average is a much better indicator of the overall quality of the players based on how the recruiting sites view them. You can pretty safely assume that all classes have some guys that are over ranked and some that are under ranked so it probably balances out.

We won't have a class of 25 players this go round
That is yet to be determined. More guys than planned could leave.

We didn't get to have spring ball, which is where some players down on the depth chart realize that they're never going to get a realistic opportunity to start or be significant contributors, and so they transfer out or retire.

A large amount of cold water to throw on the recruitniks who live and die over rankings of high school kids when the NFL pros who actually spend hours and hours watching film and the players who are now adults in college do not get it right almost all of the time.

from Trieu too.. seems like a lock

Seems like it.

Can you believe Illinois didn’t offer him until 2 weeks ago? He has 15 P5 offers. We had him here on an unofficial visit a year ago. Their fans have every right to be enraged.

A large amount of cold water to throw on the recruitniks who live and die over rankings of high school kids when the NFL pros who actually spend hours and hours watching film and the players who are now adults in college do not get it right almost all of the time.
That's tangential in a sense, though.

Recruiting, in of itself, is a competition.

The "perceived power" of a football program, in the eyes of high level recruits, is something in of itself to be ranked and appreciated.

Unquestionably, the perception of Minnesota Gophers football to high level recruits, is on the rise.

Seems like it.

Can you believe Illinois didn’t offer him until 2 weeks ago? He has 15 P5 offers. We had him here on an unofficial visit a year ago. Their fans have every right to be enraged.
Another very nice offer list including Nebraska, Mizzou, Louisville, West VA, Colorado, Syracuse, Purdue, NW, Indiana and Illinois. Some Ivy League, too, which always bodes well for academics.

Mount Carmel is a powerhouse. It would be great to get some inroads there.

He has great size for a S, perhaps a project at LB?

Would be a great addition to this class.

Home of Steven Richardson! I wonder if it's the same HS coach as back then and we still have a strong relationship due to Richardson's success?

That is yet to be determined. More guys than planned could leave.

We didn't get to have spring ball, which is where some players down on the depth chart realize that they're never going to get a realistic opportunity to start or be significant contributors, and so they transfer out or retire.
Presuming Bateman is gone after this year. We would need 14 transfers to get to 25 recruits. So while you are right to say that we can't definitively say that 14 players won't leave I would reckon that it is highly unlikely. Stanford had 14 players this year and David Shaw was asked about this "exodus" and he said that it was because many 5th year Seniors are not able to get into some graduate level programs and that is why so many players were leaving the program. I mention Stanford because 14 scholarship players leaving is normally due to a coach getting fired or in the case of Maryland, hiring someone who will probably be fired.

With all that said my opinion is that Fleck overrecruits certain positions knowing that it will incentivize players to transfer and thus allowing him to continue to get more talent in each year under the assumption that winning will allow us to recruit at a higher level.

Presuming Bateman is gone after this year. We would need 14 transfers to get to 25 recruits. So while you are right to say that we can't definitively say that 14 players won't leave I would reckon that it is highly unlikely. Stanford had 14 players this year and David Shaw was asked about this "exodus" and he said that it was because many 5th year Seniors are not able to get into some graduate level programs and that is why so many players were leaving the program. I mention Stanford because 14 scholarship players leaving is normally due to a coach getting fired or in the case of Maryland, hiring someone who will probably be fired.

With all that said my opinion is that Fleck overrecruits certain positions knowing that it will incentivize players to transfer and thus allowing him to continue to get more talent in each year under the assumption that winning will allow us to recruit at a higher level.
Yes, but I think guys in the 2017 and 2018 classes would be coming up on their third and second (resp.) spring balls (or one more, if they early enrolled). Those are critically important spring ball practices for figuring out if you're going to have a future with a program.

I'm sure we could come up with 14 scholarship guys (from the start or Maroon shirts) who aren't contributing much, that could easily could have been asked to "think about their future" after this Spring, if things wouldn't have been halted by cv19.

You also have to consider other leave-early candidates if we have another good year: Morgan, Ibrahim, St Juste, Big Dan and Dunlap. That 14 starts to look A LOT more realistic with a handful of those.

You also have to consider other leave-early candidates if we have another good year: Morgan, Ibrahim, St Juste, Big Dan and Dunlap. That 14 starts to look A LOT more realistic with a handful of those.
I would agree with you that there are some players other than Bateman who could leave, but I do not think that Ibrahim, Dunlap or Faalele are in that group. In my opinion Ibrahim does not have the measurables to make the jump; and I think that either of the lineman mentioned could be benched next year in order to for Schmitz to play center.

Regardless if all of those players leave, that still leaves us with 9 players to transfer which is still more than the average team.

Yes, but I think guys in the 2017 and 2018 classes would be coming up on their third and second (resp.) spring balls (or one more, if they early enrolled). Those are critically important spring ball practices for figuring out if you're going to have a future with a program.

I'm sure we could come up with 14 scholarship guys (from the start or Maroon shirts) who aren't contributing much, that could easily could have been asked to "think about their future" after this Spring, if things wouldn't have been halted by cv19.

Correct me if I am wrong --- but don't we need some of those people to still be asked "to think about their future" in order to make the numbers work for the incoming class? Or have enough people transferred such that we are at or under the 85?

I would agree with you that there are some players other than Bateman who could leave, but I do not think that Ibrahim, Dunlap or Faalele are in that group. In my opinion Ibrahim does not have the measurables to make the jump; and I think that either of the lineman mentioned could be benched next year in order to for Schmitz to play center.

Regardless if all of those players leave, that still leaves us with 9 players to transfer which is still more than the average team.
You're also assuming they sign 25. I could easily see them signing something like 20 instead of the initially mentioned 16. It seems like every year we've had at least a couple players medically retire that would also cut into that number.

I'm not sure why people get so obsessed with the numbers. I remember last year people were tracking constantly, wondering how on earth we were going to hit the number. Between retirement, transfers, walk-ons not getting scholarships, etc. the staff knows what is likely to happen in the near future and plans for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom