Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

You clearly aren't familiar with the typical offers that our QBs had during the Kill/Claeys era. I don't think Nelson, Leidner, Streveler, McKinzy,or Croft had another P5 offer to play QB. Seth Green is the lone exception.

I'm really not sure a couple low level P5 offers is that different. Maybe slight upgrade for QB offers?

I hope he is the next Joe Montana.... but I'm not sure that guy is one to write home about yet.

The top programs in the country cast a wide net early, and focus in as the year progresses and the athletes participate in camps and their senior season. With the budget that Fleck & Co. seem to be working with, there isn't any reason why we can't do the same. I looked down the list of the programs that rated in the top 25 for 2017 recruiting and almost all of them have more 2018 offers outstanding than the Gophers. Michigan has offered nearly double the number of recruits than we have (170 as of today). <b>But you don't see people downplaying that, rather they're lauded for it. </b>

Can you please point me to your reference of where people are lauding Michigan for making a bunch of offers? I'd hate to think you just made that up or just assumed it to be the case. I'm sure you have read a lot of praise for Michigan giving lots of offers and I'd like to read it too. What a load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different Staff - different philosophy. Kill and then Claeys put a lot of emphasis on getting kids to attend their camp so they could evaluate them in person - and also see if they had position flexibility. They also had a very specific idea about the type of players they went after in order to fit their system.

Fleck and his staff will no doubt do a lot of things differently. Remember, this is Fleck's first go-round recruiting to a major-conference program. I'm sure that he and his staff will have things to learn, and hopefully can adjust accordingly.

Look - I hope Fleck is the greatest recruiter of all time, and he brings in a string of top-20 recruiting classes. That would help the Gophers win games. When Fleck does that, I will acknowledge it. I'm just not going to proclaim him the winner before the game is played. That does not make me a hater. It makes me a realist - maybe a cynic - but I'm willing to give credit where credit is due - just not without proof.

I'm really not sure a couple low level P5 offers is that different. Maybe slight upgrade for QB offers?

I hope he is the next Joe Montana.... but I'm not sure that guy is one to write home about yet.

Slight? Several of those QBs didn't even have other FBS offers let alone just one other P5 offers. Armstrong at least has four P5 offers after his Junior year.

On a side note, UNC is one of the P5 offers. He is similarly ranked on Rivals to another UNC QB out of Ohio - Mitch Trubisky who will be a top 5 pick in this year's draft. Trubisky is a few inches taller though.

Slight? Several of those QBs didn't even have other FBS offers let alone just one other P5 offers. Armstrong at least has four P5 offers after his Junior year.

On a side note, UNC is one of the P5 offers. He is similarly ranked on Rivals to another UNC QB out of Ohio - Mitch Trubisky who will be a top 5 pick in this year's draft. Trubisky is a few inches taller though.

Forgive me if I don't find that convincing if we're gonna play the "my point is valid if we ignore this player and focus on that one" game...

Different Staff - different philosophy. Kill and then Claeys put a lot of emphasis on getting kids to attend their camp so they could evaluate them in person - and also see if they had position flexibility. They also had a very specific idea about the type of players they went after in order to fit their system.

Fleck and his staff will no doubt do a lot of things differently. Remember, this is Fleck's first go-round recruiting to a major-conference program. I'm sure that he and his staff will have things to learn, and hopefully can adjust accordingly.

Look - I hope Fleck is the greatest recruiter of all time, and he brings in a string of top-20 recruiting classes. That would help the Gophers win games. When Fleck does that, I will acknowledge it. I'm just not going to proclaim him the winner before the game is played. That does not make me a hater. It makes me a realist - maybe a cynic - but I'm willing to give credit where credit is due - just not without proof.

I think one difference is the experience of the assistant coaches. With Jerry, all the assistants learned Big Ten type recruiting together. Fleck has the Ohio State experienced Ed Warinner, Arkansas/Rutgers experienced Robb Smith, Mississippi St/Iowa St experienced Mo Linquist, Rutgers experienced Matt Simon. These guys are not coming in wide eyed. We have an NFL MVP. We have NFL assistant coaches. These guys have worldliness to compete recruiting with most anybody. Nobody in college football, I'm guessing, offers too much more daily encouragement to these guys to make us elite that PJ does. Recruiting will improve. Add the facilities, there is no doubt. Yes, only time will give us proof but to think it won't happen is silly.

The product you are selling gives you the most obvious advantage at Minnesota over directional schools. The BIG TEN! The facilities. The Fortune 500 companies. Come for four, stay for forty. The MOA. The Wild, T-Wolves, Twins, Vikings, MLS. Etc Etc The Twin Cities offers a LOT to sell versus Kalamazoo. The Dream, the 7 National titles, the sleeping giant, the Big Ten West, the education, sooo much to sell!

Why would you get excited that we offer lots and/or highly rated guys? I find the fact you do to be highly amusing.

Come on. This is a recruiting board for Christ's sake...of course people are going to discuss who we give offers to. I find it more amusing that people have such lofty expectations for this team, and then we target highly rated players who may be able to deliver that goal, and then we say, oh but you can't get excited about these players.

Come on. This is a recruiting board for Christ's sake...of course people are going to discuss who we give offers to. I find it more amusing that people have such lofty expectations for this team, and then we target highly rated players who may be able to deliver that goal, and then we say, oh but you can't get excited about these players.

The overwhelming majority of these players will sign with other schools. Why are we supposed to be excited about guys who will sign with other schools? Get excited when they show a reasonable chance of committing here (unofficial visits, official visits, actually committing). No one's saying that prospects can't be discussed - of course they can, that's the point of the thread. Forgive us if we're not excited that a highly rated player got a phone call, tweet, or piece of mail from the U of M. Again, BFD.

Can you please point me to your reference of where people are lauding Michigan for making a bunch of offers? I'd hate to think you just made that up or just assumed it to be the case. I'm sure you have read a lot of praise for Michigan giving lots of offers and I'd like to read it too. What a load.

That wasn't the point of that paragraph. There are plenty of articles talking about how great of a recruiter Jim Harbaugh is and his process for getting recruits.

That wasn't the point of that paragraph. There are plenty of articles talking about how great of a recruiter Jim Harbaugh is and his process for getting recruits.

It wasn't? Your paragraph was about how many top programs have more offers as us, you then stated Michigan has twice as many and are praised for it. I asked you who praises them for it.

I don't really understand why any of you care how another poster reacts to recruiting news. Its really not that big of deal.

Okay we get it. You guys don't like us offering kids in the top 250 because you're not sure they'll visit. I'll go glass half full and say if you don't offer those kids and start a relationship, you'll never get them on campus. So what we're doing is the only reasonable thing to do. And while you want to pour vinegar in everyone's water about not getting excited, that's for each of us to decide. I could care less whether you want to hold back your enthusiasm. I choose to be intrigued by the much higher number of top level recruits at least sending one tweet this year with the name of our school in it. I'm intrigued to see who the staff can get on campus.

The overwhelming majority of these players will sign with other schools. Why are we supposed to be excited about guys who will sign with other schools? Get excited when they show a reasonable chance of committing here (unofficial visits, official visits, actually committing). No one's saying that prospects can't be discussed - of course they can, that's the point of the thread. Forgive us if we're not excited that a highly rated player got a phone call, tweet, or piece of mail from the U of M. Again, BFD.

I get that. I'm not saying every single one of these guys who we are giving offers to is signing here. I've done very little posting on this board other than link to a tweet saying someone received an offer. That's relevant to this board isn't it?

Okay we get it. You guys don't like us offering kids in the top 250 because you're not sure they'll visit. I'll go glass half full and say if you don't offer those kids and start a relationship, you'll never get them on campus. So what we're doing is the only reasonable thing to do. And while you want to pour vinegar in everyone's water about not getting excited, that's for each of us to decide. I could care less whether you want to hold back your enthusiasm. I choose to be intrigued by the much higher number of top level recruits at least sending one tweet this year with the name of our school in it. I'm intrigued to see who the staff can get on campus.

Yeah, no one said any of that.

we're all having fun, right? right?!

Personally the bickering from people who won't change their minds because it's an opinion that really can't be proven on either side is boring. Can we just discuss the recruits?

we're all having fun, right? right?!

Personally the bickering from people who won't change their minds because it's an opinion that really can't be proven on either side is boring. Can we just discuss the recruits?

Amen.

Offering top flight recruits, whether they come or not, enhances the perception of the program to recruits. When recruits see Minnesota offering along side helmet schools, it will over time improve the way recruits see the Minnesota "brand".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offering top flight recruits, whether they come or not, enhances the perception of the program to recruits. When recruits see Minnesota offering along side helmet schools, it will over time improve the way recruits see the Minnesota "brand".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Meh. I think it's pretty meaningless (in and of itself).

It could also work the other way. . . "these guys are offering everyone".

I don't really think it has much impact, but I could be wrong. This year's recruiting will be interesting.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

McGrone is McGone.

I figure someone had to do it.

Top Bottom