Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen src="http://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/anvload.html?key=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" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

http://kstp.com/sports/london-ryerse-bursch-gophers-recruits-met-with-new-coach-fleck/4374913/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Recruiting update

According to Rivals.com, the Gophers football team has the 44th rated recruiting class in the country, putting them just ahead of Iowa, which is at 52, and just behind Wisconsin, which is at 38.

Coach P.J. Fleck was able to flip eight recruitments from Western Michigan to Minnesota following his hiring.

However the new head coach at Western Michigan, Tim Lester, who was the quarterbacks coach at Purdue, was able to keep a good portion of the 25 recruits Fleck had commitments from, with only those eight flipping schools.

One thing Minnesota is going to need is a quarterback, especially if Seth Green is not allowed to play and his one-year suspension is upheld. The Gophers currently have three quarterbacks committed in Tanner Morgan, Neil McLaurin, and Reyondous Estes.

Morgan, who came with Fleck after committing to Western Michigan, is the most highly touted of the three, as he had scholarship offers from Louisville, Cincinnati and Wake Forest.

http://www.startribune.com/pro-bowl-bid-overdue-for-vikings-linval-joseph/411279155/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• The Gophers football team is going to need pass catchers since it lost its leading wide receiver in Drew Wolitarsky, and two incoming freshman may help in three-star recruits Jacob Paulson, a tight end, and Chris Bell, who flipped his recruitment from Western Michigan. Paulson was set to visit LSU before committing to Fleck and the Gophers. Meanwhile Bell is a standout in both football and basketball at Bishop McNamara in Illinois.

http://www.startribune.com/pro-bowl-bid-overdue-for-vikings-linval-joseph/411279155/

Go Gophers!!

If it wasn't clear before, it is now. Trey Creamer retweeted this reply to a Hawkeye fan....

247 showing Bryson Jackson will take an OV to Baylor this weekend. I'm worried about that.

247 showing Bryson Jackson will take an OV to Baylor this weekend. I'm worried about that.

I'm not really worried. Not a major position of need. Plus he's got some bulking to do, which is fine, Trenton Guthrie is also undersized, I assume they both would redshirt. But we have Barber, Coughlin, Martin, Huff, Waters, and Cashman all until at least 2018.

There are kids all over college football like Thayer Munford and Bryson Jackson who are just waiting for their dream offers whether they are already committed or not.

So be it. Next kid up. Recruiting never ceases even after NSD. There are kids that are going to be dropped from teams that over committed.

I like that PJ Fleck is a tireless recruiter.

Why are we offering so many RBs? Every push this last 1.5 weeks should be for DBs or a stud at almost any other position if they are interested in coming here, particularly WR or DT. RB should be about the last position we're recruiting at this point given the current state of the roster.

Why are we offering so many RBs? Every push this last 1.5 weeks should be for DBs or a stud at almost any other position if they are interested in coming here, particularly WR or DT. RB should be about the last position we're recruiting at this point given the current state of the roster.

Can never have too many RB's.

I'd take an elite rb over a desperation move at DB. Even if we are desperate for dbs. I think Ibrahim and Holston might be able to play other positions. Not sure we are after that many more rbs.

You never know if Fleck is offering them to play running back here. RB and QB are usually the most athletic players on a HS team. Fleck might be recruiting a RB to play DB, just like Estes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We have Handy-Holly here on an official visit this weekend with the majority of Fleck's WMU flips and the secret elite prospects.

Can never have too many RB's.

Sure you can. We already have two of the best in the conference (who will both be juniors this fall), along with depth in JFC, London, and Ibrahim if needed. You can only play one at a time (very rarely two) and we have five to choose from currently. You always play at least two CBs, often 3 or 4, and we literally have three scholarship CBs on the roster (Thomas, Shenault, Craighton) who aren't under threat of expulsion/suspension and aren't recovering from debilitating injuries. I don't feel I'm exaggerating when I say that we need to come out of this recruiting class with 4 or 5 CBs. If Layne flips as expected, and Douglas is playing WR as rumored, we currently have one solid CB commit in the class with around 5 total spots left to fill.

I'd take an elite rb over a desperation move at DB. Even if we are desperate for dbs. I think Ibrahim and Holston might be able to play other positions. Not sure we are after that many more rbs.

Why would it have to be a desperation move? I believe in Fleck as a recruiter, and he should be able to get Big Ten-caliber players to come here, even at this stage of the game. If we are actually looking at this guys to play CB, great, but I doubt it given their builds.

Sure you can. We already have two of the best in the conference (who will both be juniors this fall), along with depth in JFC, London, and Ibrahim if needed. You can only play one at a time (very rarely two) and we have five to choose from currently. You always play at least two CBs, often 3 or 4, and we literally have three scholarship CBs on the roster (Thomas, Shenault, Craighton) who aren't under threat of expulsion/suspension and aren't recovering from debilitating injuries. I don't feel I'm exaggerating when I say that we need to come out of this recruiting class with 4 or 5 CBs. If Layne flips as expected, and Douglas is playing WR as rumored, we currently have one solid CB commit in the class with around 5 total spots left to fill.

Maybe Fleck knows something we don't. Maybe Smith is actually considering leaving early (mistake imo) etc.. Maybe some will end-up being DB's. I'm going to trust him on this one.

Why would it have to be a desperation move? I believe in Fleck as a recruiter, and he should be able to get Big Ten

I wouldn't be surprised if Ibrahim and Douglas both start off at CB. Ibrahim has the build of a cb and played it in h.s.

I've been pounding this drum for a while dpo - been assured that we either have plenty (in part because "Register may become one") or been told that getting 1 or two more might be "acceptable". Glad to have some assistance in this front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would it have to be a desperation move? I believe in Fleck as a recruiter, and he should be able to get Big Ten-caliber players to come here, even at this stage of the game. If we are actually looking at this guys to play CB, great, but I doubt it given their builds.

Because most every defensive back is firm to a school. He's got two on a visit this weekend and no one knows how the trials will go next week.

If fleck is the least bit competent and I'm sure he also is concerned about the DB depth and has a plan in place to address it. It should become more clear in the next few weeks.

For what it's worth we are just as thin at S- 3 scholarship players with one having had a very tough season resulting in being benched the last half until the suspensions occurred and minimal experience in another. Register may try it here but that's a true move out of desperation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The unknowns with the secondary are whether Winfield Jr and Shenault will be back next year and the severity of Durr's injury. If Shenault is re-instated and if Durr has fully recovered by fall camp, I think we will be okay at CB. Kiondre Thomas is supposed to be on par with Durr, so a rotation of Durr, Shenault, Thomas, Creamer, and 1 more should be solid. Probably not as good as we've had the past few years, but okay with the potential to be outstanding when they are upperclassmen. I'm also willing to be that either Douglas or Estes wind up at CB eventually.

Top Bottom