Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Noah Gindorff from Crosby-Ironton was also invited to Minnesota's Junior Day. He is a 6'6 225 pound QB & Defensive Lineman who could also play tight end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks GopherND! Will get him added to the list. Great size indeed for TE!

While I appreciate the work and extensive list of 2017 players, I find when it comes to evaluating Minnesota recruiting the staff, and many of the close the boarder crowd want to know the top 10 or 15 players in the state who Minnesota must or should be recruiting. I think I remember a number of 3% of athletes will play Division 1 or Two. 1% will play Division 1.

The star system is a part of the business model for pay sights, magazines, and ESPN. Too often it has been shown a three star commit to Helmet U becomes a 4 star. And the same is true, a decomitt from Helmet to Directional U goes from 5 Stars to 3.

There are normally 12 to 15 kids each year in Minnesota.

Too often it has been shown a three star commit to Helmet U becomes a 4 star. And the same is true, a decomitt from Helmet to Directional U goes from 5 Stars to 3.

This hasn't been shown, because it's not true. It's a fabricated fiction.

Look no further than Seth Green, 4 star recruit to Oregon. Decomits when Scott Frost left, commits and signs with Minnesota as a 3 Star.

Look no further than Seth Green, 4 star recruit to Oregon. Decomits when Scott Frost left, commits and signs with Minnesota as a 3 Star.

I'm sure that had nothing to do with losing his starting job to a junior QB.

I'm sure that had nothing to do with losing his starting job to a junior QB.

Yep, plus the sites had already starte to downgrade him even before the flip. He was downgraded from a 4 star on 247 to a 3 star with a grade of 88 and then to a grade of 86 before he flipped to the gophers and was dropped out of the Rivals 250 and Scout 300 before he committed here too.

While I appreciate the work and extensive list of 2017 players, I find when it comes to evaluating Minnesota recruiting the staff, and many of the close the boarder crowd want to know the top 10 or 15 players in the state who Minnesota must or should be recruiting. I think I remember a number of 3% of athletes will play Division 1 or Two. 1% will play Division 1.

The star system is a part of the business model for pay sights, magazines, and ESPN. Too often it has been shown a three star commit to Helmet U becomes a 4 star. And the same is true, a decomitt from Helmet to Directional U goes from 5 Stars to 3.

There are normally 12 to 15 kids each year in Minnesota.

As I mentioned in another thread, I track recruiting of Minnesota preps from all D1 schools versus just what Minnesota recruits, hence the longer list. Last year we had 50 players pick up D1 offers (BCS/FBS/FCS) and probably another 50 pick up D2 offers, hence a good percentage on list will pick up offers. There were a few years when Minnesota would make offers only to 4-6 of the top players and perhaps land 3-4 of those offered. Last year was an anomaly year with 9 players committing to Minnesota and either 14 or 15 offers extended. As players start picking up offers, I rerank them by position and overall in the state, which is at the top of the page and easier for those that just want to check out top players.

I think we'll see more pick up steam during summer camps. Guys like Hmielewski and Ty Johnson didn't get much notice until the summer before their senior year.

I think we'll see more pick up steam during summer camps. Guys like Hmielewski and Ty Johnson didn't get much notice until the summer before their senior year.

I don't follow HS football nearly as closely as I did a couple of years ago, but last year's class was special. You're right, a few more guys will pick up steam, but last year was crazy for the state of MN.

Yeah, or like Carter Coughlin, his rankings went into the garbage after he signed here.

Attached is an updated link to the Class of 2017 top player list that I maintain on Gopherhole.com. I also have 2018 on this list until I create a new page as well as some 2019 players.

2017 is not as talented group as 2016 right now, but definitely some talent in the state. The next 4-5 months will be interesting to watch.

If anyone knows of 2017 player that is picking up D1 interest or has D1 potential, please feel free to post on this string or message me under Bronko Nagurski on Facebook.

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/1426280-class-of-2017-minnesota-hs-football-recruits

Thanks Vames!

You always do an awesome job tracking the recruits.

Tyler Johnson had offers from Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin last winter.

I was aware of his offers at that time. But he was very under the radar until later in 2015. I believe the only other school that was recruiting him hard was Eastern Michigan. It wasn't until later in the summer that Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, and most of the Big Ten school started to show interest. IMO he had pretty much made up his mind where he was going and shut down recruiting by that time. Also his recruiting ranking spiked in the summer. That is what I based it on.

Tyler Johnson had offers from Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin last winter.

We had 10 juniors with D1 offers by junior day last year. I don't have exact dates on when players were offered. Hmielewski was a camp offer. Chikahio-Bowman was a late offer. Kasl and Spielman were late offers.

is it time to panic? No commitments

I was aware of his offers at that time. But he was very under the radar until later in 2015. I believe the only other school that was recruiting him hard was Eastern Michigan. It wasn't until later in the summer that Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, and most of the Big Ten school started to show interest. IMO he had pretty much made up his mind where he was going and shut down recruiting by that time. Also his recruiting ranking spiked in the summer. That is what I based it on.

Not true

Johnson was rated a 5.7 on Rivals before the summer and had a grade of 86 on 247 before the summer as well. His 247 grade then dropped to 80 sometime in the summer. Also, he was ranked as high as the #47 safety on Scout at or before the beginning of the summer but it gradually fell about 5-8 spots during the summer.

We had 10 juniors with D1 offers by junior day last year. I don't have exact dates on when players were offered. Hmielewski was a camp offer. Chikahio-Bowman was a late offer. Kasl and Spielman were late offers.

Spielman was offered before the summer.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Paea is from Michigan and already has offers from Michigan, Michigan St., Notre Dame, Oregon, Nebraska, and BYU. Whatever time they've spent on recruiting him (no matter how little) has been a complete waste.

Paea is from Michigan and already has offers from Michigan, Michigan St., Notre Dame, Oregon, Nebraska, and BYU. Whatever time they've spent on recruiting him (no matter how little) has been a complete waste.

We'll soon see how recruiting goes with Claeys and Jay Johnson and Bart Miller.

What will help Claeys' recruiting the most is an eight game win season or better in 2016. Otherwise, we'll continue to lose recruits like Amir Watts who the Gophers sorely missed.

That's of little interest to me. All I care about is how to pronounce his last name.

Paella?

So we should never go after recruits with big time offers? What if they research the University and fall in love? Why not offer the kid? You complain about us offering a kid like this but you probably also complain when we get kids with only MAC offers

Yawn.

So we should never go after recruits with big time offers? What if they research the University and fall in love? Why not offer the kid? You complain about us offering a kid like this but you probably also complain when we get kids with only MAC offers

Neither situation is optimal. Our strength lies in competing against fellow mid-to-bottom tier Power 5 schools, schools that we can and do beat out for recruits all the time. We never have and never will waltz into Michigan and get a commit from a recruit with offers from Michigan, MSU, and Notre Dame. It's just not gonna happen. Not to mention that he's apparently Mormon and has an offer from BYU. I've spent more time typing this post than he will cumulatively giving serious consideration to Minnesota.

Even if this kid is pie in the sky, the coaches have talked about getting into homes that they could not access before as a positive. I suspect they know their strengths and play to them. I would hope at the same time they try to get into homes of kids some would say we have no chance at. The coaches do not seem to use a shotgun approach and I suspect someone developed a relationship with this kid or someone in the kid's sphere that made an offer worth the effort.

Top Bottom