Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

FIFUJerry Kill knew how to sell the Twin Cities, and the Gopher Football Program. We are blessed with truly a beautiful metropolitan area.

TC's first recruiting class was better than any of Kill's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far this class is a stinker

I get what people are saying when they say that according to the rankings, this one looks like a stinker. However, it might be wise to let the recruits actually see the field before we crown them or rip on them.

I get what people are saying when they say that according to the rankings, this one looks like a stinker. However, it might be wise to let the recruits actually see the field before we crown them or rip on them.

I'm going by the relatively safe Power 5 offers. Last year's class was better in that regard. And finally, there is no rating system that ranks teams by " coaching them up" . Period, end of story.

Is National Signing Day here and gone? Man, I thought we might still snag a few key players! I so look forward to the annual meltdown of a few posters, the star vs coaching thing, and the "we'll never make it unless..." mantra.

Win the next game and we will see what needs adjusting.

I'm going by the relatively safe Power 5 offers. Last year's class was better in that regard. And finally, there is no rating system that ranks teams by " coaching them up" . Period, end of story.

I don't even know what you mean by the last sentence.

I wasn't asking you to wait for some new metric used by recruiting rankings, I was asking you to go by the metric of "actually good football players". Like, these "recruits" will eventually be "players".

I wasn't asking you to wait for some new metric used by recruiting rankings, I was asking you to go by the metric of "actually good football players". Like, these "recruits" will eventually be "players".

Bob, you will never reason with those in love with the recruiting rankings. They'll still argue that Brew was a good recruiter - ignoring the fact many of his recruits didn't make it to campus, others fizzled, and very few of the remaining ones fit with his scheme or the other players. But, those rankings were dynamite.

This class might produce good players, but if you go by the system it tell you a lot of coaches don't
value their ability to play at the next level.. So with the Gophers it is " trust the coaches" Now, does that get us to the next level? Remains to be seen. We've kids that are letting us beat the bottom feeders of the B1G, and once in a while knocks of a Nebraska or Iowa. If you're happy with that then you're happy with a " coach'em up class" I believe Ryan Burns said at some point to get to the next level you have to start getting more kids that can step on the field right away and play at a " high level" We did play freshmen this year, but The only one I thought played above the competition was Winfield. JMO....

Agree BUT

TC's first recruiting class was better than any of Kill's.

I agree last year's class was the best. Actually, by rankings regarding the rating of players not necessarily versus other schools...every year it has gotten better since Kill arrived. What you seem to be dismissing is that last year the majority of the class was recruited by Kill which in part is how Tracy got the job....continuity.

Tracy did close well from the end of the season to signing day last year. Hopefully that happens again and this class looks great in February and next fall and beyond, as well.

The biggest factor is we had a great crop of Minnesota players we kept at home last year. We are keeping this year's Minnesota guys again. That's great!!! They just are not as heralded or as plentiful as last years group.

The JUCO Offensive linemen, that saved our season, were not on the radar at the time Jerry retired.

The JUCO Offensive linemen, that saved our season, were not on the radar at the time Jerry retired.

Very true!! Good point!! Like I said, Tracy closed strong and I'm hoping for the same this December and January. Go Gophers!

Jordan Ta'amu, the JUCO QB committed to Ole Miss today. He's going to be sitting behind Shea Patterson, a 5 star QB who will be a Sophomore next year. Ole Miss fired their OC.....and he still picks them over the Gophers where he had a very good chance to start instantly. Add this to the very underwhelming recruiting class.

Jordan Ta'amu, the JUCO QB committed to Ole Miss today. He's going to be sitting behind Shea Patterson, a 5 star QB who will be a Sophomore next year. Ole Miss fired their OC.....and he still picks them over the Gophers where he had a very good chance to start instantly. Add this to the very underwhelming recruiting class.

Your acting like Ta'amu was some prize. Yawn.

Your acting like Ta'amu was some prize. Yawn.

Johnson wanted him when he saw him workout which is good enough for me. We have basically zero experience right now at the QB position for next year. Yeah, totally a "yawn" situation. YOU'RE*** acting like this is some PWO guy that chose another school. The staff eventually offered so they felt he was a good choice for the spot but they can't seal the deal even though Ole Miss is set at QB next year with no coordinator right now. That's the point

Johnson wanted him when he saw him workout which is good enough for me. We have basically zero experience right now at the QB position for next year. Yeah, totally a "yawn" situation. YOU'RE*** acting like this is some PWO guy that chose another school. The staff eventually offered so they felt he was a good choice for the spot but they can't seal the deal even though Ole Miss is set at QB next year with no coordinator right now. That's the point

No, not a PWO - just a backup who chose to be a backup. Yawn.

Opinions critical of this coaching staff's ability to recruit are not allowed here. Only positivity please.

Honestly, the Gophers only offered after Ole Miss offered. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know. I didn't think Taamu was anything special.

Opinions critical of this coaching staff's ability to recruit are not allowed here. Only positivity please.

Honestly, the Gophers only offered after Ole Miss offered. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know. I didn't think Taamu was anything special.

Dudes -
Ta'amu said that he wanted to come here this weekend and The Gophers never got back to him. Seems in this case we did cool on him. So we are now complaining about not getting some backup QB we didn't want?

Dudes -
Ta'amu said that he wanted to come here this weekend and The Gophers never got back to him. Seems in this case we did cool on him. So we are now complaining about not getting some backup QB we didn't want?

I'm not complaining, I actually agree with you about Taamu. I was being sarcastic with my first comment, I thought that was obvious.

I'm not complaining, I actually agree with you about Taamu. I was being sarcastic with my first comment, I thought that was obvious.

I know you weren't complaining. Didn't mean to lump you in on that, just include in the conversation.

Looks like we got Jakyle Holmes, good pickup. Very athletic and fast!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah sounds like the Gophers changed thei mind. Doogie says Neil McLaurin is currently visiting. Don't know anything about him.

This class might produce good players, but if you go by the system it tell you a lot of coaches don't
value their ability to play at the next level.. So with the Gophers it is " trust the coaches" Now, does that get us to the next level? Remains to be seen. We've kids that are letting us beat the bottom feeders of the B1G, and once in a while knocks of a Nebraska or Iowa. If you're happy with that then you're happy with a " coach'em up class" I believe Ryan Burns said at some point to get to the next level you have to start getting more kids that can step on the field right away and play at a " high level" We did play freshmen this year, but The only one I thought played above the competition was Winfield. JMO....

Win more games, we'll get better kids. The new facilities will also help. We had the "great recruiter" coach several years ago. We all know how that turned out.

2 commits out of the weekend. Not bad. It would be nice if Jake Paulson committed too. I really like his Hudl video.

It appears they lined up another JC WR for a visit too. Isaac Zico will be visiting on 1/14. That's 3 JC WR's that they've got scheduled to visit now.

Top Bottom