Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

This gets brought up every year, and it's not true. Commitments are not meaningless. What percentage of players committed to the Gophers as of 1/1/2015 ended up signing their LOI? 90-95%? It was the same story the year before, and the year before, and so on. Verbal commitments absolutely do mean something.

DP - I see your point. I am just trying to suggest that people on this board don't get so worked up over every single verbal commitment, because even though there may be a relatively high correlation between verbal commitments and LOI's being signed, it's not a guarantee. And, I would be willing to predict that the % of "verbals" who ultimately sign a LOI will go down in future years - precisely because coaches no longer honor any kind of gentlemen's agreement.

I just get tired of the routine on here, where player "X" announces a verbal to the U, and we immediately get a 10-page thread predicting what a great player "X" will be. Then, we find out that "X" is taking other OV's, and may be considering other schools, and we get a 10-page thread full of angst and gnashing of teeth.

I stand by what I said - a verbal is not a LOI. a verbal is a promise, and we all know promises are made to be broken. an LOI is a contract, and much harder to get out of without consequences.

It sounds like Amir Watts will be taking it all the way to signing day.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XSdwVt_Eri4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was this the kid who kept burning Sean Foster, supposedly causing Claeys to pull Fosters offer?

Not saying these guys predicting don't know nothing...but a couple dudes last week had Coney Durry to NC or something...even though he has signed is aid offer and is starting at the U in a couple weeks.

Maybe the Daniels twins will realize on their visit that there is a reason MD has had two corners decommit recently which is why they are so desperate now. As for Snelson, he will thrive in our offense just like Maye did...but if he wants to the 5th WR that MD is taking this year and be part of their rebuilding project...can't stop him. But with how many kids washed out in our rebuilding process that were equally rated as Snelson...he may want to go where there is stability around him. Even with our coach change, our staff is mostly together and our offensive philosophy won't be changing.

Not saying these guys predicting don't know nothing...but a couple dudes last week had Coney Durry to NC or something...even though he has signed is aid offer and is starting at the U in a couple weeks.

Maybe the Daniels twins will realize on their visit that there is a reason MD has had two corners decommit recently which is why they are so desperate now. As for Snelson, he will thrive in our offense just like Maye did...but if he wants to the 5th WR that MD is taking this year and be part of their rebuilding project...can't stop him. But with how many kids washed out in our rebuilding process that were equally rated as Snelson...he may want to go where there is stability around him. Even with our coach change, our staff is mostly together and our offensive philosophy won't be changing.

In the case of all four players, I'd say "Do as momma says"

Where was this reported?

Nope - Not Coney Durr unfortunately.

Per U of M release: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121615aaa.html

University of Minnesota head football coach Tracy Claeys announced today the signing of Merrick Jackson, Vincent Calhoun, Garrison Wright and Elijah Battle to a national letter of intent and also announced that Seth Green, Thomas Barber and Tai'yon Devers have signed a tender of financial aid to attend Minnesota.

All seven individuals will enroll at Minnesota in January and will be able to participate in spring practice. Minnesota will announce its complete signing day class on National Signing Day on Feb. 3, 2016.

Barber, Devers and Green will have four years of eligibility at Minnesota, while Jackson, Calhoun, Wright and Battle will each have two.

"There is no question that we got better today with the addition of these seven young men," said Minnesota head coach Tracy Claeys. "They are all tremendous athletes who can run and have length. I am looking forward to their arrival on campus in January and having them compete in spring practice."

Jackson is a 6-2, 330-pound defensive tackle from East St. Louis, Ill. He played two years at Iowa Western and was a NJCAA First Team All-American after recording 70 tackles and 7.5 sacks as a sophomore. Jackson also had 19 tackles-for-loss, forced one fumble and broke up one pass.

Calhoun, who is 6-4 and 330 pounds, is an offensive lineman who attended Southwest Mississippi Community College. The Roswell, Ga., native played two seasons with the Bears and was named an NJCAA Second Team All-American. In addition, he was also named to the NJCAA's All-Region team and selected MACJC First Team All-South. Calhoun was also named the South's Most Valuable Lineman.

Wright is an offensive lineman from Marysville, Kan., and is 6-5 and 313 pounds. He helped lead Butler Community College to a 9-2 record this year and protected for an offense that rushed for 2,087 yards and 36 touchdowns and one that passed for 2,160 yards and 16 scores.

Battle is a 6-0, 180-pound defensive back from Newark, N.J. who played at Dodge City Community College. He recorded 50 tackles (38 solo) in 12 games this season and had 11 pass breakups. Battle also notched two tackles-for-loss, one interception, recovered one fumble and returned two kickoffs for 41 yards.

Green is a 6-4, 218-pound quarterback from Woodbury, Minn. He played high school football at East Ridge before transferring to Allen High School in Texas for his senior season. Green helped lead Allen to a 14-1 record as a senior and passed for 1,481 yards and 19 touchdowns. He also rushed 99 times for 865 yards and 10 scores.

Barber is a legacy name at Minnesota. His older brothers - Marion and Dom - and his father, Marion, all played football for the Gophers. The youngest Barber is a linebacker from Plymouth, Minn., and played high school football at Robbinsdale Armstrong. Barber, who is 6-1 and 235 pounds, totaled 109 tackles as a senior, which included two sacks and two pass breakups. He also rushed 50 times for 309 yards and nine touchdowns.

Devers is a 6-4, 225-pound defensive end from Pompano Beach, Fla., and has played football for only two years. He played his senior season at Blanche Ely High School and then played one year at Georgia Prep Sports Academy.

Well Wisconsin is still at 80%. Just saying

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

80% for what? The link provided has a list of a bunch of players and their target predictions.

You need to take a step back and re-evaluate your trolling skills. Just saying.

80% for what? The link provided has a list of a bunch of players and their target predictions.

You need to take a step back and re-evaluate your trolling skills. Just saying.

He's drunk. He meant to type 0.08%. The entire state of wisconsin has an average BAC of 0.08% at any given time.

Interesting Snelson article

http://saturdaytradition.com/minnesota-football/snelson-holding-true/

n Monday, Snelson watched Gopher wideout K.J. Maye set the program record for receptions (73) in a senior season. Never mind the fact that no matter what, Snelson can’t touch that mark for another four years.

Still, he wants it.

“I’m coming in right behind him. I’m gonna try to break all of his records,” Snelson said of Maye. “The record he just broke, I’m gonna break it.”

And Maye believes that. In fact, he has some lofty projections of his own for the future Gopher.

“He said that I’m not the next him, but that I’m gonna be better than him,” Snelson said.

Tyler Johnson is impressing at the Semper Fidelis practices.

Top Five Offense
1. Tyler Johnson: As difficult a day as the East offense had, Johnson was a star. Likely to play safety at Minnesota, the Gophers ought to take a look at playing the 6-foot-2, 185-pounder on offense, as he showed a great ability to get open and really good hands. He looked smooth out there.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Semper-Fidelis-Bowl-West-Day-Two-Top-Performers-42417130

Really good to hear he's smooth at WR, considering he's never really played varsity ball at that position. Might not be as raw as he was made out to be.

Instate players we are missing already:

JD Spielman and Patrick Kasl.

JD will be one to burn us with his speed and versatility.

Patrick is the cerebral type of athletic lineman in who will fit Bart Miller's & Jay Johnson's offensive scheme perfectly.

JD and Patrick - Happy New Year! It is not too late to leave the dark side and come join the good guys.

Instate players we are missing already:

JD Spielman and Patrick Kasl.

JD will be one to burn us with his speed and versatility.

Patrick is the cerebral type of athletic lineman in who will fit Bart Miller's & Jay Johnson's offensive scheme perfectly.

JD and Patrick - Happy New Year! It is not too late to leave the dark side and come join the good guys.

Any chance we make a late push for JD Spielman with our new OC?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CXh3BoIUkAQIzF2.jpg

I am actually very excited about that kid from Marshall. Hopefully we can get Andries next year as well.

Juco RB. Not surprising.

Tyler Johnson looks really impressive at WR. In my head, I already had him plugged in at safety. I still think that is probably where he ends up, he's physical and the way he glides around the secondary, he is going to be a big time contributor. However, he looks really natural at WR (he played QB in HS, so it's hard to tell until now how he'd look at WR).

Everyone should be excited about this kid, he's going to be a good one.

Top Bottom