Official 2015 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

You do realize this meant absolutely NOTHING considering the source, right?

I realize it's fashionable to trash Brew, but one thing the guy knows is talent. Maybe he didn't know what to do with it, but he could recognize it.

I realize it's fashionable to trash Brew, but one thing the guy knows is talent. Maybe he didn't know what to do with it, but he could recognize it.

I don't know if I fully agree. What proof do we have that he could recognize talent - star ratings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's your proof:

I don't know if I fully agree. What proof do we have that he could recognize talent - star ratings?

Do you really think one of the top 5 overall programs in college football (FL St.) would bring him in as Recrutiing Coordinator, of all things, if he "couln't recognize talent?"

Didn't Brewster's last recruiting class just graduate this year? And didn't he bring in guys like Hageman, Vereen, Epping, and Botticelli, or am I mistaken about that? Those guys were pretty instrumental to recent the success of the program, and not really considered highly rated recruits (outside of Hageman at a high 3-star). So there's some proof for you outside of star ratings (which you seem to think are always wrong, or should always be 100% right all the time and they're not, or something, not sure what's going on there...).

Brewster helped recruit some unreal classes at Texas under Mac Brown before he was even a glimmer in Maturi's eye. Vince Young ring a bell? One of the greatest CFB QBs of all time. As the story goes, Mac Brown wasn't going to go after him (why is another story), but Brew made it his personal priority to get him. Vince Young was all Brew's doing. That means he was basically single handedly responsible for that amazing run Texas had with Young, and, as Brewster likes to say, a Natty (which he has a few of now, I believe, possibly 3? maybe 2? 1? Don't recall if he was still at Texas by the time they won it, he may have left for the NFL by then. Either way, pretty darn impressive for someone who doesn't belong in college football).

Tom Lemming, who is pretty well respected .......but maybe not by you. I'm guessing he said the Gophers weren't very good during a 3 win season, or something, so you boycotted all of his material..... by having it pasted here instead. Usually how it goes around here......... anyway, Lemming said in 2008 that Tim Brewster was one of the top 10 recruiters he HAS EVER SEEN. No offense, but he's seen a lot more than you. He's been in the business for 40 years. Rivals rated him the 3rd best recruiter in the country in the early 2000s while he was at Texas. Again, I might take Rivals word over yours (Oh thats right, they rank players incorrectly because the Gophers don't get any 5-star guys, or something...again, I have no idea....). He hasn't missed a beat at FSU. In 2014, ESPN has him ranked as the 6th best recruiter in the Country.

You're right. That guy couldn't recognize talent if it fell out of sky and landed on his head. That's a weak resume....

Some say he isn't too shabby at coaching TEs. O'Leary was a monster for FSU under Brewster. He also coached TE's in the NFL. I've heard/read him get a considerable amount of credit for helping mold Antionio Gates from an UFDA with nearly zero football experience, to first-team All-Pro TE, in one season. You know who gave him the credit (beside himself, probably)? Antonio Gates, himself. It's still out there....give it a google.

....that resume outside of Gopher land just never ends does it? But man, he just doens't know what he's doing. Get him out of football ASAP. How can all of these extremely good evaluators and coaches not see what you are seeing from behind your computer screen? They are such suckers. It must be really easy to overlook that kind of thing when your to-do list is: Plan Jan 1 bowl game logistics, figure out where to put College Game Day, order another trophy case for the hall of champions, figure out how to spend all of that new booster cash, and polish my national championship ring.

We get it. Brewster sucked here. He was awful as a head coach. He couldn't handle that role. He set the program back, and you're bitter about it. But, is it almost time to stop with the Brewster sensationalism? Some of the statements are just so, so, so proposterous, and clearly haven't been researched in any way, shape, or form.

I don't want to get in to a huge debate about this again, but I find it funny that Brewster's two really good classes are used as an example of why rankings/stars don't matter while most of those kids weren't even upperclassmen when Brewster was fired. Lots of the kids who were upperclassmen when Brewster was fired were from lowly rated classes from the Mason years. In fact the Mason years are why I can't just "trust the coaches" and ignore rankings/stars entirely. We had a pretty horrible B1G record during the Mason era and all but one, possibly two, of his classes were rated low in the Big Ten. When the Gophers had their 5-3 seasons we heard a lot about guys like Eslinger as reasons why stars don't matter, but when the team failed to ever get over that 5-3 bar and fell back down the standings most said we just didn't have enough talent. We have a lot of experience at Minnesota with lowly rated classes and very little with well regarded ones. For the most part, the Gophers have been a non-factor in the league race.

The Gophers win at Nebraska this past year is the best evidence that things are different under this staff than they were under Mason, even if the recruiting rankings might be similar. I can't remember the last game before that game against the Huskers where the Gophers were in a game that had such big stakes for both teams and the Gophers came out and won. They won that game with arguably their most important offensive players on the bench injured and while giving up a huge momentum swinging blocked fg for a TD. That blocked fg for a TD would had spelled the end for many Gopher teams, but not the most recent squad.

If the Gophers can find a way to get to 6-2 or better recruiting the way they are currently recruiting, that's great. In the end, the results on the field are all that truly matter. If, however, in 2-3 years this past season is still our high water mark then talking about the star rating of David Cobb will ring about as hollow as it did with Greg Eslinger.

Do you really think one of the top 5 overall programs in college football (FL St.) would bring him in as Recrutiing Coordinator, of all things, if he "couln't recognize talent?"

Didn't Brewster's last recruiting class just graduate this year? And didn't he bring in guys like Hageman, Vereen, Epping, and Botticelli, or am I mistaken about that? Those guys were pretty instrumental to recent the success of the program, and not really considered highly rated recruits (outside of Hageman at a high 3-star). So there's some proof for you outside of star ratings (which you seem to think are always wrong, or should always be 100% right all the time and they're not, or something, not sure what's going on there...).

Brewster helped recruit some unreal classes at Texas under Mac Brown before he was even a glimmer in Maturi's eye. Vince Young ring a bell? One of the greatest CFB QBs of all time. As the story goes, Mac Brown wasn't going to go after him (why is another story), but Brew made it his personal priority to get him. Vince Young was all Brew's doing. That means he was basically single handedly responsible for that amazing run Texas had with Young, and, as Brewster likes to say, a Natty (which he has a few of now, I believe, possibly 3? maybe 2? 1? Don't recall if he was still at Texas by the time they won it, he may have left for the NFL by then. Either way, pretty darn impressive for someone who doesn't belong in college football).

Tom Lemming, who is pretty well respected .......but maybe not by you. I'm guessing he said the Gophers weren't very good during a 3 win season, or something, so you boycotted all of his material..... by having it pasted here instead. Usually how it goes around here......... anyway, Lemming said in 2008 that Tim Brewster was one of the top 10 recruiters he HAS EVER SEEN. No offense, but he's seen a lot more than you. He's been in the business for 40 years. Rivals rated him the 3rd best recruiter in the country in the early 2000s while he was at Texas. Again, I might take Rivals word over yours (Oh thats right, they rank players incorrectly because the Gophers don't get any 5-star guys, or something...again, I have no idea....). He hasn't missed a beat at FSU. In 2014, ESPN has him ranked as the 6th best recruiter in the Country.

You're right. That guy couldn't recognize talent if it fell out of sky and landed on his head. That's a weak resume....

Some say he isn't too shabby at coaching TEs. O'Leary was a monster for FSU under Brewster. He also coached TE's in the NFL. I've heard/read him get a considerable amount of credit for helping mold Antionio Gates from an UFDA with nearly zero football experience, to first-team All-Pro TE, in one season. You know who gave him the credit (beside himself, probably)? Antonio Gates, himself. It's still out there....give it a google.

....that resume outside of Gopher land just never ends does it? But man, he just doens't know what he's doing. Get him out of football ASAP. How can all of these extremely good evaluators and coaches not see what you are seeing from behind your computer screen? They are such suckers. It must be really easy to overlook that kind of thing when your to-do list is: Plan Jan 1 bowl game logistics, figure out where to put College Game Day, order another trophy case for the hall of champions, figure out how to spend all of that new booster cash, and polish my national championship ring.

We get it. Brewster sucked here. He was awful as a head coach. He couldn't handle that role. He set the program back, and you're bitter about it. But, is it almost time to stop with the Brewster sensationalism? Some of the statements are just so, so, so proposterous, and clearly haven't been researched in any way, shape, or form.

Damn...I didn't know Brewster posted here! I think this should now end the Brewster debate. He tried, and didn't work out like many coaches in the NCAA.

Not to defend Brewster, but while in Orlando I ran into a recruit for 2016. Isaac Nauta, committed to FSU, and Brew recruited him. He loves Brew. Rivals has him as a 4*, #2 TE overall. 52nd National recruit and the #8 player from the state of Florida. The guy can recruit when put in the right circumstance. It just did not work out here.

Not to defend Brewster, but while in Orlando I ran into a recruit for 2016. Isaac Nauta, committed to FSU, and Brew recruited him. He loves Brew. Rivals has him as a 4*, #2 TE overall. 52nd National recruit and the #8 player from the state of Florida. The guy can recruit when put in the right circumstance. It just did not work out here.

Brewster can recruit when he's not in charge. Brewster was unable to get top recruits at the end of his time here because it was apparent the program was on the verge of becoming a dumpster fire. Recruits didnt want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. The program was so terribly mismanaged.

I wouldnt even say Brewster can't coach but I would damn sure say Brewster can't manage a team.

We didn't need you to post your resume here, Tim. Thanks though.

Not sure if this has been posted in a while, but Brewster was the master motivator!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwcaNCc9Qo

Not sure if this has been posted in a while, but Brewster was the master motivator!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwcaNCc9Qo

OOOOOOOOOOH baby! My chili's scalding hot now! I'm ready to get some, give some, bring some, leave some, take some, yada yada yada. Excuse me, I need to step out and find somebody clad in black and gold and red and white to hit real hard. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Recruiting sites are like a hammer. It's a useful tool, but if you have no carpentry skills, you can't build a house.

Wow. I only said I didn't know if I fully agreed he was great at recognizing talent. You extrapolated an awful lot of other opinions I must have from that. Not surprising from you tho Bulldog.

What I will say is I am sick of folks talking about how good Brewster's highly rated recruiting class was when years later it seems obvious to me that he didn't know how to recruit a TEAM. Maybe he can recruit guys he is told to with the best of them, but debating that was never my point.

Bulldog is becoming worse than wren. Why do you feel the need to write a novel every time you post? Nobody is going to stay engaged trying to read all of that.

Let's keep it going and bring Wacker, Salem, and Holtz into this thread of an already finished recruiting class!!

Bulldog is becoming worse than wren. Why do you feel the need to write a novel every time you post? Nobody is going to stay engaged trying to read all of that.

I think you are on to something. Maybe Bulldog is wren!

I've defended Brew on this board countless times, but I think the jury is still out on his ability to evaluate talent. You don't need a real nuanced approach talent evaluation to bring in good classes to Texas and Florida State. Most of their classes are filled with no brainers, the players are obviously extremely talanted. For instance, if Jeff Jones is a success at the U, I wouldn't say "Jerry Kill showed a great eye for talent in recruiting Jeff Jones." It's not a knock on Kill if Jones does well, but everyone knew Jeff Jones was talented. The classes at Florida St and Texas for full of guys like Jeff Jones. So despite recruiting great classes at FSU and Texas, I wouldn't say that showed a great eye for talent.

Talent evaluation really comes from the ability to see some of the less heralded recruits. Finding an Eric Murray, David Cobb, or Ben Lauer is impressive in terms of spotting talent.

I've defended Brew on this board countless times, but I think the jury is still out on his ability to evaluate talent. You don't need a real nuanced approach talent evaluation to bring in good classes to Texas and Florida State. Most of their classes are filled with no brainers, the players are obviously extremely talanted. For instance, if Jeff Jones is a success at the U, I wouldn't say "Jerry Kill showed a great eye for talent in recruiting Jeff Jones." It's not a knock on Kill if Jones does well, but everyone knew Jeff Jones was talented. The classes at Florida St and Texas for full of guys like Jeff Jones. So despite recruiting great classes at FSU and Texas, I wouldn't say that showed a great eye for talent.

Talent evaluation really comes from the ability to see some of the less heralded recruits. Finding an Eric Murray, David Cobb, or Ben Lauer is impressive in terms of spotting talent.

I like this perspective. Great post.

i always say its not the rating you have coming in

its what you do once you are at the university and how you work to increase your skills and apply them to the football game

then if you do well at working hard and preparing yourself you will leave ranked better than you came

Kill and compmnay has shown that they can give you the vehicle to get places if you put your mind to it

Brewster can recruit when he's not in charge. Brewster was unable to get top recruits at the end of his time here because it was apparent the program was on the verge of becoming a dumpster fire. Recruits didnt want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. The program was so terribly mismanaged.

I wouldnt even say Brewster can't coach but I would damn sure say Brewster can't manage a team.

Agreed. Brew knows talent, he knows recruiting, I didn't even think he was bad coach, but he had no experience managing a football program.

Did he? He inherited the worst team I've ever seen in my 44 years as a Gopher fan. Literally the worst team. The reason we lost to teams like NDSU is because they had better players. People like to taunt Brew about guys like Kyle Theret and Fatty Thomas, but remember that those guys were better....as true freshmen.... than the players he inherited. Let that sink in.

Mason had recruited 7 Jucos on defense, 5 of whom were expected to start immediately because he hadn't recruited in several years and we had no depth. Mason had never done that before. That's how bad off we were. When Mason was axed we lost all but one of those players (Logan Uu). That's akin to losing 5 starters and 2 reserves from an already porous D. Then our best player and team Captain, along with two other probable starters were arrested in a rape scandal and dismissed. So now, think of Mason's crappy defense, minus 8 starters and 2 reserves. Then 2nd string DE Robert McField was hunted down by the task force for the armed robberies he'd committed back in Missouri (Mason staff hadn't run a background check on him. Laaazy.), so we lost yet another depth player. Then remember Brew has something silly like 2 weeks to recruit a class of replacements. By year two he had Nate Triplett playing well at LB, switched Marcus Sherels to CB, brought in BPT, Tramaine Brock, Simoni Lawrence, Ced McKinley, Brandon Kirksey and Gary Tinsley. That's a hell of a talent upgrade from what he inherited.

Brings me to the question of was the team really "set back" because of Brew? The academics were a set back for sure, but the on-field performance was about the same as the end of the Mason years and Kill didn't inherit any rape or armed robbery scandals. I'd say he left the team in better shape t5han he found it, maybe a draw? One thing I know for sure is that there's literally nothing positive a person can say about Brew without being shouted down on Gopher Hole. Even Hitler had a girlfriend guys!

Even Hitler had a girlfriend guys!

Charlie Manson had a bunch of girlfriends...not sure that plays into the discussion of Brewsters incompetent management of the Gopher's or Masons decline in recruiting. I am glad both are gone and have faith that if Kill can't get us over the hump, what he will be leaving will be something worth having.

Please, make it stop.

History is never settled until all of the facts are in. Some very interesting points of view were presented and suddenly its wedgies all around. The off season! Epic.

Someone says something good about Brew and the anti Brew crowd's chili gets HOT.

Someone says something bad about Brew and the Brew fan's chili gets HOT.

Its the off season.. how can your chili get so hot? We all need football to start again. Thank god spring practice is only a couple weeks away.

March 3rd. Life begins anew. THIS is the year we have an impact O with an improved D. West Champs!

Top Bottom