Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

That's a playmaker! Very fun video! We need guys like him!

Should have a good shot with this kid. We're his first offer and he probably knows Lynn. He is undersized, but really flies around.

When he hits people they feel it. If he is undersized he has to be strong to deliver those blows and violently bring people to the ground like he does. His instincts are great. He sheds blockers like they are invisible. The question I guess is the competition.

Fun to watch that one! Thanks btg!

When he hits people they feel it. If he is undersized he has to be strong to deliver those blows and violently bring people to the ground like he does. His instincts are great. He sheds blockers like they are invisible. The question I guess is the competition.

Fun to watch that one! Thanks btg!

Reminds me of Eden Prairie's Blake Sorenson (decent career with Becky) in athletic ability and size; Moskal appears to be a bit more physical.

STrib blog: Washburn running back's commitment should help Gophers recruiting efforts

“It’s good for Minnesota to kind of put a fence around their own state,” said Tom Lemming, recruiting analyst for CBS Sports Network. “Initially, you’ve got to land your top guys, and then you go out of state after that. I think it really bodes well for the class of 2014. They can use him sort of a centerpiece to attract [De La Salle QB] Reid Travis and some of the other guys.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/191399371.html

Go Gophers!!

Speaking of Reid Travis, is Kill going to offer him or let Tubby cover the scholarship? Boston College is the only one listed as having offered him in football and basketball.

btowngopher said:
Speaking of Reid Travis, is Kill going to offer him or let Tubby cover the scholarship? Boston College is the only one listed as having offered him in football and basketball.

It's been discussed here that that can't happen. You can't walk on to the football team on a basketball scholarship. It prevents football players from coming from the men's rowing team, etc.

It's been discussed here that that can't happen. You can't walk on to the football team on a basketball scholarship. It prevents football players from coming from the men's rowing team, etc.

I know Rutgers just offered him as well for football. I am pretty sure he will be playing basketball in college but I think it makes sense to try. He's a big athlete and one of the good mn quarterbacks in this class.

HopherGole said:
I know Rutgers just offered him as well for football. I am pretty sure he will be playing basketball in college but I think it makes sense to try. He's a big athlete and one of the good mn quarterbacks in this class.

I don't mean that you can't do it, but if you do, you are on football scholarship, not basketball.

btowngopher said:
What is the reason for this? Revenue based or something?

Like I said, so you can't give a guy a table tennis scholarship to sneak him on to the football team.

Not to mention that it's almost impossible to be a multisport athlete in college especially at the D1 level. Even more difficult to do well at both

Like I said, so you can't give a guy a table tennis scholarship to sneak him on to the football team.

But how do they determine which sport has to offer the scholarship? Say a kid wants to play hockey and baseball for example?

But how do they determine which sport has to offer the scholarship? Say a kid wants to play hockey and baseball for example?

You have to take the scholarship from the highest revenue sport. So in your example, he'd be on hockey scholarship and walk-on to the baseball team. In Reid's case, he'd be on a football scholarship and walk-on to basketball.

If this rule weren't in place, then schools like Alabama would be signing football players to the basketball, baseball, etc. teams and they'd have way more than 85 players.

You have to take the scholarship from the highest revenue sport. So in your example, he'd be on hockey scholarship and walk-on to the baseball team. In Reid's case, he'd be on a football scholarship and walk-on to basketball.

If this rule weren't in place, then schools like Alabama would be signing football players to the basketball, baseball, etc. teams and they'd have way more than 85 players.

That's the rub with Travis.

Travis has an NBA type future in basketball and he is a heck of a football player (way harder to gauge than basketball). So he'll miss a lot of basketball in order to play both sports. I'd have no problem with him trying and I think he could be a very good football player. However, if he was my friend/relative, I'd try to talk to him about sticking with basketball. It's a tough call.

That's the rub with Travis.

Travis has an NBA type future in basketball and he is a heck of a football player (way harder to gauge than basketball). So he'll miss a lot of basketball in order to play both sports. I'd have no problem with him trying and I think he could be a very good football player. However, if he was my friend/relative, I'd try to talk to him about sticking with basketball. It's a tough call.

I don't recall all the details, but Julius Peppers comes to mind as someone who did both.

One question: if he accepts a basketball scholarship (meaning he can't play football) could he, after 1 year, switch it to a football scholarship?

He may have a better future with basketball, but then again, more football players are drafted every year than basketball players, so from a numbers point....

Another thing to consider is that by doing both he's kind of hedging his bets. I look at someone like Mbakwe and I don't see any NBA future with him, but think he would make a great TE in the NFL. Reid could play both until he figures out which is his best option.

Tony Gonzales played football and basketball at Cal. I think he was on a football scholarship. He played at a pretty high level in both, it can be done.

It worked out pretty well for Charlie Ward as well, win the Heisman and then a successful career in the NBA. It is not easy but can be done.

I suppose those examples ARE pretty relevant here. It will depend on what Travis' mindset is and wif he DOES want to play both, what schools will allow for that.

@evan_flood: #Hawkeyes #Huskers #Gophers #Cyclones #NIU have invited Homestead (WI) 2014 DT Brandon Hines to junior days.

Go Gophers!!

The only way Reid could think to do both would be if he didn't play QB.

It would have to be a less time demanding position like TE/WR, because his offseason would be basketball. Hell some of his work he'd do in season would be basketball related.

I suppose those examples ARE pretty relevant here. It will depend on what Travis' mindset is and wif he DOES want to play both, what schools will allow for that.

There is one pretty big difference, all of these guys were much more heavily recruited as football players (or just as heavily recruited to play football).

It can happen, but Peppers, Gonzo and Ward all didn't join the basketball team until January. Despite Ward being an NBA basketball player, he was just as (if not more) recruited to play football.

If football is your main sport and you want to play something else, that's doable. If it's the other way around, like it is for Reid, it's much more difficult.

It would have to be a less time demanding position like TE/WR, because his offseason would be basketball. Hell some of his work he'd do in season would be basketball related.

He's a monster, Reid Travis might end up at DE. (He's already 6'8" 240).

Bob's point is pertinent. Peppers, Ward, and Gonzalez were all (at least to my recollection) "football first" guys. Travis is probably a basketball first guy.

The other thing to remember is that the youngest of Peppers, Ward, and Gonzalez trio (Peppers) left college a dozen years ago and the environment around college sports have changed dramatically. I'm curious if Kill would even allow a guy to play two sports. Maybe he already has said he would and I'm behind the curve.

Charlie Ward and Ronald Curry played QB and PG.

Bob's point is pertinent. Peppers, Ward, and Gonzalez were all (at least to my recollection) "football first" guys. Travis is probably a basketball first guy.

The other thing to remember is that the youngest of Peppers, Ward, and Gonzalez trio (Peppers) left college a dozen years ago and the environment around college sports have changed dramatically. I'm curious if Kill would even allow a guy to play two sports. Maybe he already has said he would and I'm behind the curve.

There are still cases where kids play both. Nate Robinson and Jimmy Graham are a couple more recent ones. Pryor at OSU was going to play basketball but Tressell wouldn't allow it.

I read an interview in the Strib with Reid Travis and Amelia Rayno and he said this summer/fall he will decide WHICH sport he will play in college.

Per NCAA Guidlines:

Where To Count Student-Athletes Who Participate
in More Than One Intercollegiate Sport

DIRECTIONS:
Start at 1, football, and keep going until you reach a sport in which the student-athlete participates. Count the student-athlete in that sport.

Note the alternatives for men’s water polo. If a student-athlete participates in men’s water polo and men’s swimming, he is counted in men’s swimming. If he participates in men’s water polo and any sport except football, men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey and men’s swimming, he can be counted in either of his sports. If he participates in men’s swimming and any other sport except for football, men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey and men’s water polo, then he can be counted in either of his sports.

1) Football
2) Basketball
3) Men's Hockey
4) Women's Volleyball

5a) Men's Swimming
5b) Men's Water Polo
and/or All other sports not in 1-5 --> Count in any one sport

* In football, a counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football
and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) must be counted
in the sport of football (see Bylaw 15.5.9.1).

so if an athlete participates in any 2 (or more) sports not listed in 1-4 above (as long as the 2 aren't both swimming and polo), they can count toward either sport.

Per NCAA Guidlines:

Where To Count Student-Athletes Who Participate
in More Than One Intercollegiate Sport

DIRECTIONS:
Start at 1, football, and keep going until you reach a sport in which the student-athlete participates. Count the student-athlete in that sport.

Note the alternatives for men’s water polo. If a student-athlete participates in men’s water polo and men’s swimming, he is counted in men’s swimming. If he participates in men’s water polo and any sport except football, men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey and men’s swimming, he can be counted in either of his sports. If he participates in men’s swimming and any other sport except for football, men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey and men’s water polo, then he can be counted in either of his sports.

1) Football
2) Basketball
3) Men's Hockey
4) Women's Volleyball

5a) Men's Swimming
5b) Men's Water Polo
and/or All other sports not in 1-5 --> Count in any one sport

* In football, a counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football
and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) must be counted
in the sport of football (see Bylaw 15.5.9.1).

so if an athlete participates in any 2 (or more) sports not listed in 1-4 above (as long as the 2 aren't both swimming and polo), they can count toward either sport.

I think it also comes down to whether or not the person plays and if so, how much they play. If a BB were to walk on to the FB team, they wouldn't have to be on a FB scholarship unless they played. I am guessing there is a limit on how much they play prior to losing a BB schollie and getting/needing a FB one.

Top Bottom