Offensive or defensinve

MNbricks

Reaction score
Just got thinking.... Which is more painful or enjoyable to watch?

Mason's offensive minded team without defense

or

Brewster's no offense and decent defensive team.

Mason's teams were more painful because they weren't just defensively inept (that does play a huge factor for me), but they also couldn't pass their way out of a empty parking lot.

Brewster's lack of offense is more frustrating because, especially last year, there was just no rhyme or reason for playcalling. Who knows how good we could have been if plays had been used to compliment/set up other plays instead of just throwing *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# against the wall to see what might work.

Mason's teams were definitely more fun to watch. However as we saw last year a good D keeps you in every game. Think about it, if we just rose to the level of not completely sucking on offense we'd have had a pretty good year last year. The good news is that we vastly underachieved last year on O, and we've got a superior coordinator now. The bad news, we have no idea what we'll get on D.

Mason's teams were more painful because they weren't just defensively inept (that does play a huge factor for me), but they also couldn't pass their way out of a empty parking lot.

Brewster's lack of offense is more frustrating because, especially last year, there was just no rhyme or reason for playcalling. Who knows how good we could have been if plays had been used to compliment/set up other plays instead of just throwing *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# against the wall to see what might work.

Never let the facts get in the way of your position, right?

Mason's teams had lots of passing yards most years.

Mason's teams put up about the same number of passing yards as Brewster's teams in some years, and almost double the total offense some years.

The rushing yard comparison is very sad.

2003 total yards 6430 passing yards 2671 rushing yards 3949
2009 total yards 3984 passing yards 2691 rushing yards 1293

So much for that .

Quarters 1-3 Masons teams
4th Quarter Brewsters teams (especially in a close game)

I will take the average Mason team over Brewster's best so far. I loved watching the blocking by Mason's O-lines and the RBs making plays in the second level.

Never let the facts get in the way of your position, right?

Correct.

Tulsa: 277 yards
Troy: 176 yards
@ Ohio: 146 yards
Louisiana Lafayette: 174 yards
@ PSU: 71 yards
@ Northwestern: 331 yards (42-17 Win)
Michigan: 71 yards
Michigan State: 377 yards (44-38 Loss)
@ Illinois: 237 yards
Indiana: 92 yards
Wisconsin: 159 yards
@ Iowa: 388 yards (40-22 Loss)
Oregon: 172 yards

Other numbers to note: Northwestern gave up 3,292 passing yards in 2003, good for 92nd in the country. Michigan State gave up 3,317 passing yard, good for 97th. Iowa speaks for itself. And you did an excellent job picking the best year of Gopher football in, oh...40 years with arguably the best backfield in Big Ten history. With the 3rd best rushing offense in the country, you should be able to throw a little. And 72nd in the country barely qualifies as "a little." I understand there's a new concept in football that's called "play action" where, when you have a successful running game, you should be able to fool the other team's secondary into thinking it's a run and then throw the ball past them. Surprisingly to me (and Mason, I'm sure) you don't need to run a fade or a post into a safety for this play to be successful.

In my opinion, the most painful part of about watching Mason's defenses was the that fact that they were so bad year after year. There was no reason to believe it was ever going to change, because the staff did not seem to place enough focus on improving that side of the ball. It was also fairly painful to watch those Mason offenses get absolutely shut-down in the 2nd half againt a decent team. (Note, I did not imply that watching a Brewster team is enjoyable, but at least I have hope with Brewster that they are trying to fix what is wrong.)

Being a Gopher fan seems to be tough business regardless of who is at the helm...

Offense may put buts in the seats but DEFENSE wins Championships. I'll take the Brew Crew every day over the Mason squads because the Mason teams seemed to not know how to spell DEFENSE.

Gray is the answer to getting the balance necessary to be outstanding on Offense under Brew I think but it looks like Weber will likely be granted his last hurrah. And I trust that the D Coordinators will field a respectable Defense again to hold the line even though they will be young and inexperienced the first half of the '10 season.

For me,

I thought Mason's teams were a bit tougher to watch. It was probably because of the longevity of their defensive ineptitude. It just started to feel like, we would never ever be average in defense. If BRew's offense stays this bad for a prolounged period, it would probably be Brews.

Another thing that made Mason tough to watch was are huge special teams blunders (not FG kicking) and our almost Viking-esque ability to blow games we had in the bag (NWestern Hail Mary, Michigan, Wisconsin (blocked punt), Purdue (when DOrsch hit that 50 yarder)).

The thing about the Mason offenses, although they were great, they never seemed to be able to get the game icing drive or first down that put them over the top. People ripped Mason's defenses over the years for folding, the offense also folded many times.

Almost any Mason offense had much more yardage

that the any Brewster offenses.

I could have picked almost any year, even though I did pick 2003 for effect.

The OP claimed Mason offenses could not pass the ball effectively. That assertion was flat out false.

The Brewster offensive output is why he will be gone after this fall. I'll yawn about the off the field stuff, but the previous regime did not have this sort of trouble, at least to this extent.

I like the Brewster defensive focus, but the effort at the Wisconsin game was very much like the Mason years. I like the depth and athletes on the D line. I like the linebackers a lot assuming Tinsley gets back. The Def. backfield is in question but the defense could be the savior this year, combined with Horton calling a Mitch Browning like offensive game plan.

Maybe the D will break through like the '85 Chicago Bears, and save TB. I hope that happens.

Ever the apologist

I'll yawn about the off the field stuff, but the previous regime did not have this sort of trouble, at least to this extent.

Yeah, you're right...it's not like any players died or anything while Mason was coach. Oh wait...

I think that might be crossing the line of good taste a little bit.

How so? Trying to hold Brewster responsible for the idiotic actions of his players is just as sensible as trying to hold Mason responsible for a player dying while he was coach.

People don't like Brewster, so they try to make him the scapegoat for players being dumbasses. But if you're going to hold Brewster accountable for kids being idiots, you have to hold Mason accountable for Brandon Hall's death. It can't be one or the other. You can't pretend Mason's team was a bunch of saints when a guy died on his watch. That's all I'm saying.

Mason's kids weren't saint, but to use a players death to make a point is pretty depressing.

And once again,Oak Street, to say that Mason's teams were anything above "pathetic" in regards to the passing game is either disingenuous or obtuse. The numbers came when the other team was either horribly overmatched or allowed us to pass. I won't defend Brewster's offense because to date it's been pathetic as well. But there's still time for him to prove us all wrong.

It was much more painful watching Mason's teams. For me it's not even close. It was fun watching Barber and Maroney run for 400 plus yards together, but it was the most painful thing ever watching our team consistently lose 3-5 touchdown leads to lose a game. Then the next week we would have a colossal breakdown and get blown out. I'm not saying Brew is a better coach or that he will have more success, but at least his teams look like they're trying to win, and he doesn't look like he's afraid of the other team.

Top Bottom