Offensive Line - How do they fix it?

I think everyone realizes that. This is more of a discussion of what to do in the mean time. Surely our coaches aren't just sitting back with their arms crossed and waiting for people to heal.

Obviously, your right. The second thing that they need to do is to make sure that the players don't read or pay attention to the GopherHole.:rolleyes:

Kill sounded pretty upset with the OL on his radio show today. Nothing specific, but he pointed out the Center is playing well and then talked about how much repetition they had this week. Claimed he has never had a team with three holding calls in one game. I'm sure he has, but you get the point. Might see more of a youth movement or shake up.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How about some misdirection? This is where I do think they're waiting for the BIG to show a different play selection. Saturday I saw no traps, pulling guards, etc?
Misdirection plays, counters, are nice when a defense is filling gaps hard as teams often do vs the Gophers, but the Gophers' offense doesn't have any that I'm aware of or have seen. Our guards pull regularly on Power, which is probably 40-50% of our offense. But tradional sweeps and traps (and Iso for that matter) are ancient history replaced by zone schemes (inside, zone read, and outside zone) and Power (gap scheme).
Some programs pull play side guards or centers on jet sweeps and off tackle runs, but pulling interior OL is not a part of the Gophers schemes except power from what I've seen.

Thanks for the stats Pompous

Just a quick look... what jumped out a me is Maye has been thrown to 29 times and has 12 catches.
Wolitarsky has been thrown to 16 times and has 13 catches
Wozniak thrown to 7 times and 6 catches
Seems too simple, but maybe we should throw to the 80-90% completion rate receivers more often?

Could this just be what was decided by Kill last week as to the offense line.

Win the game and give them as much experience as possible.

They both happened

With five OL possibly all graduating next year and with all the injuries too soon in the season, what other good choices do they have than to pull red shirts.

They have Ohio and then the eight grinding B1G games coming. If they can't strengthen the OL maladies, it could very well derail the entire season. A very good defense may be gassed the entire season.

It could only help set the stage next year for greater team depth at OL.

Why don't they hire a full time OL Coach is beyond me. IMHO, Limegrover should either be the full time OL coach, or the OC but not both. The O-Line is too important to have a part time coach.

Top Bottom