Odds (how) tournament will be played?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Mine are:

80% played without fans other than family & essential school personnel

20% played with fans

0% canceled

0% postponed (not really an option in my opinion, either play it now or not at all; tournament would lose its luster.)

Last edited:

Mine are:

80% played without fans (for sure Dayton)

20% played with fans

0% canceled

0% postponed (not really an option in my opinion, either play it now or not at all; tournament would lose its luster.)
Too much TV $$ to lose by cancelling. So I'd say you're right. Or a very limited # of fans.

Too much TV $$ to lose by cancelling. So I'd say you're right. Or a very limited # of fans.

I should've been more specific. .. by without fans I mean family & school personnel only.

Last edited:

I would say certain cities will be played without fans. Don't think all venues will be closed.

60% without fans

40% with fans

0% cancelled

Mine are:

80% played without fans other than family & essential school personnel

20% played with fans

0% canceled

By the looks of things I would have to agree with you More and more cases popping up at gatherings.

Even 50/50 odds that the NCAA tourney never gets started OR Started with Fans but after first weekend it is cancelled.

The first player that has been exposed or comes down with the virus will force the issue. Hardly can call it fair if they start to disqualify teams because the players are considered a risk. This would force teams that have been exposed to consider if they want to admit being exposed. This will force teams that are healthy, but concerned about the risk, to preemptively pull their teams from tournament.

Consider that the University of Minnesota made all classes online (no in person classes) through April 1st as a safety precaution. This occurred today and the press release can be viewed here: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020...nesota-university-classes-suspended-canceled/

I dont think there is a chance the final four happens this year.

Sorry folks, I hope I am wrong- and get beat up on it here on the GH for it..

Last edited:

80% with fans. They will move sites if they have to. Waaay to much money for them to pull the plug.

1% played with fans.
60% played with no fans.
39% no tourney.

Even 50/50 odds that the NCAA tourney never gets started OR Started with Fans but after first weekend it is cancelled.

The first player that has been exposed or comes down with the virus will force the issue. Hardly can call it fair if they start to disqualify teams because the players are considered a risk. This would force teams that have been exposed to consider if they want to admit being exposed. This will force teams that are healthy, but concerned about the risk, to preemptively pull their teams from tournament.

Consider that the University of Minnesota made all classes online (no in person classes) through April 1st as a safety precaution. This occurred today and the press release can be viewed here: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020...nesota-university-classes-suspended-canceled/

I dont think there is a chance the final four happens this year.

Sorry folks, I hope I am wrong- and get beat up on it here on the GH for it..
You might be right. The only thing that makes me doubt it is that the Gophers aren't currently having their best season ever. :cool:

3 days ago if this question was posed, I would have said 0%, but I would have never guessed it has gotten to this point. Its just the Ivy League but they straight cancelled ALL spring sports. I think its certainly in play at this point.

20% play as normal--fans/venues etc
60% play with no fans outside of essential personnel MAYBE family
19% postpone for a few weeks/month to figure it out
1% total cancellation

Well, looks like 60% was low, NCAA just said NO FANS recommended at the games. This is crazy.

I did not realize the Dayton/Cleveland announcement was made. How's that work, would teams want to get placed there or still want to play in front of fans in another venue but be subject to the increased health risk?

Seems like it would be an all or nothing deal, for the 1st & 2nd Rounds (if they have it all). If there are no fans being allowed, then they could in theory play the games anywhere that can handle a TV crew. True regions? Bring everyone to 1 site/city and have a playoff? Just throwing out ideas...

This stinks but I think I am past the denial stage, it won't be a traditional Tourney if they have one at all.

The Ivy League has cancelled all Spring sports. This seems a tad overboard since most of them are outdoors.

I dont think this is over yet. I think there is a 50/50 chance its cancelled altogether.

I think the bigger question is "Will the Big Ten Tourney will be completed?"

Hoiberg in the hospital. If its coronavirus the tournament will be canceled.

Pretty sure this is the moment EA sports has been waiting for. "March Madness 2020 by EA Sports."
Watch as the players from each University duke it out via remote access video competition.
This, people, is the moment Michael Hurt, Brady Rudrud and Hunt Conroy have dreaming of!

At this point, lawyers on both sides - NCAA and networks - are going through the TV contracts line by line. If the NCAA tournament is called off, what happens to the rights fees? could the TV networks refuse to pay if there are no games to broadcast - and what does that do to the NCAA budget?

This could get completely bat-bleep crazy.

100% chance it’s getting canceled or shortened

They are in Australia so likely only a symbolic impact to North American sports, but Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson have tested positive for coronavirus.

Top Bottom