OC Candidates- Post Sanford

Was Rossi a home run hire? No, don't mean now in retrospect. Then, when he was named.

No, and I‘m not sure if it was him now but somebody’s CV that was maaaybe a little embellished 😄 raised a kerfluffle after somebody that seemed jilted raised the issue. Absolutely did a great job for the most part ever since and this year was phenomenal.

Was Rossi a home run hire? No, don't mean now in retrospect. Then, when he was named.
Not at all, just a desperation / logical choice when you had to make a change.

But they improved SO FAST that it was clear they should stick with him.

The change was dramatic.

Give to whomever was involved at the end of the year - Simon, or ?. If PJF wants to go back to Kirk I wouldn’t complain…
The Iowa 22 Indiana 35 and wisconsin 23 impressed you that much

Just want to clarify for everyone the offense continues to be just average the last 3 weeks

OTOH bringing in an outsider that doesn’t understand the various personalities, capabilities, strengths and weaknesses (of players in this case), internal politics, culture, or other aspects of the organization can be detrimental and even catastrophic if well-qualified individuals are passed over or the new honcho is a bad fit/bull in a china shop/friend or family member. We don’t really know the situation here and we’re all waiting to find out what direction PJF elects to go.
For sure, it's never easy. I've done both, promote people from within and bring in someone from outside. Basically, the rule of thumb would be is if the talent/experience caliber is remotely close, you tend to err on the side of promoting from within. But if you have the potential to bring in someone from the outside who is infinitely more qualified and experienced, it's an easy decision to go that way.

If you're lucky, it's an easy decision because the qualification discrepancy is obvious. Let's hope that's the case here. Either way, it's just incredibly unlikely that Fleck made this move without a plan in place.

Just want to clarify for everyone the offense continues to be just average the last 3 weeks

Once again your take seems to be fringe. We could do a lot worse than what we saw the last few weeks. In fact, we have just this year more than once and still without any explanation or rationale. Go ahead.

That said, not against getting a proven producer if available. In other words, not a MSJr or Smith-type hire.

Everyone on this board knows that the Gophers don't run a "greatest show on turf" type offense under Fleck, and they never will. And I don't think anyone here is asking for a pass-happy attack.

As we know, the Gophers under Fleck want to pound the rock, to control the clock, to eliminate mistakes, penalties, turnovers and keep the opponents' offense off the field.

If done properly with a good 'conductor', this type of philosophy on offense can, in fact, lead to impressive numbers. Here are the 2019 B1G season team stats on offense. Minnesota 4th in YPG; Wisconsin (another run-first team) was second.

Here are the B1G passer stats from 2019. Look at Morgan!

Indiana could have been more points but started slow and then got up big and didn't need to score a ton. Game plan looked good.

Iowa mistakes hampered the offense. Game plan looked good.

Wisconsin game plan looked good. Rush avg was down but passing looked good.

Both Wisconsin and Iowa have great defenses so have to take that into account.

Would people be opposed to bringing back Kirk Ciarrocca? Offense was great under him, had good teams at Western Michigan, him and PJ go way back. Tanner would know the system. Definitely understand if people want to move in a different direction, but it wouldn’t be the worst move to me.
I’d take him back with open arms. Combine our 2019 offense with the defense we had this year and we wouldn’t have been 8-4. I realize our receivers aren’t as good as they were that year but I believe there was enough talent in that room to get much more than they got.

I’d take him back with open arms. Combine our 2019 offense with the defense we had this year and we wouldn’t have been 8-4. I realize our receivers aren’t as good as they were that year but I believe there was enough talent in that room to get much more than they got.

I think our current receivers might be better than we think. Heck, even Bateman looked so-so in his brief run in 2020.

The coordinator thing runs deep.

Let's me get this straight Stanfords out and Leitner recommits. I don't think that's the way it works.

Indiana could have been more points but started slow and then got up big and didn't need to score a ton. Game plan looked good.

Iowa mistakes hampered the offense. Game plan looked good.

Wisconsin game plan looked good. Rush avg was down but passing looked good.

Both Wisconsin and Iowa have great defenses so have to take that into account.
How can you say started slow and game plan looked good? Do you mean adjustments were good?

How can you say started slow and game plan looked good? Do you mean adjustments were good?
I'd have to rewatch the game. But you do realize that a good gameplan doesn't have to be to 60 minutes of perfection?

I'd have to rewatch the game. But you do realize that a good gameplan doesn't have to be to 60 minutes of perfection?
Yeah I do. But you’re the one who said it

I don’t think the teams started slow against Indiana. They drove down the field and were stopped on 4th down. Ate half a quarter.

But if you think they started slow how can you call that a good game plan. The start IS the gameplan.

Personally, I LOVE the spread triple option that Coastal Carolina runs and their offense is very balanced in that system between run and pass. Would love to see that with the Gophers, but I’m not gonna hold my breath waiting for that change.

Last edited:

Yeah I do. But you’re the one who said it

I don’t think the teams started slow against Indiana. They drove down the field and were stopped on 4th down. Ate half a quarter.

But if you think they started slow how can you call that a good game plan. The start IS the gameplan.
I don't remember saying the game plan was bad at the beginning. Where did I say that?

I don't remember saying the game plan was bad at the beginning. Where did I say that?
If you think the start was slow, how can you think the game plan was good. The game plan is what you run at the beginning of the game.

If you think the start was slow, how can you think the game plan was good. The game plan is what you run at the beginning of the game.
Execution? Finishing off a drive?
Slow in the scoring points sense.

Personally, I LOVE the spread triple option that Coastal Carolina runs and their offense is very balanced in that system between run and pass. Would love to see that with the Gophers, but I’m not gonna hold my breath waiting for that change.
I am sure Tanner Morgan would love it too

Fleck is still here. Fleck does not want a gun-slinging, pass-emphasis offense. He's made that crystal clear.

Also, Morgan comes back ..... just so he'll have to learn a brand new offensive scheme???

No chance.

It may not be Simon or Patterson, but the scheme will not change. That's what Fleck wants: consistency in the scheme.

I believe Tim Brewster checks all those boxes.
COME HOME TIM!!!!

(for the record I'm just enjoying this as a sort of meme, if PJ likes Tim them awesome, if not ... whatever... still can always use more crooting...)

Top Bottom