O

MTBeaudry

Reaction score
I am a huge Gopher sports fan! My first memory of tv was the 1960 Rose Bowl! I was 3. I remember our last Big Ten football Football Championship in 1967. A football team lead by John Hankinson! Every saturday we had Gopher football on the radio.I shared this experience with smy dad. It remains very special to me. I am a 1981 graduate. I do not believe i ever will see us in another Rose Bowl or Final Four team with the Gophers as a participant! Why? Because apparently we can't compete! The latest major obstacle is NIL money! I am tired and honestly fed up!
If that's the case why are we even fielding a spoathletic departments!rts program!'lets stop this farce. The U can be as well boosters then stop this farce n do away with our athletic teams n what it is a institution of political correctness that yes thru it's research n academic program contribute to this state. But sorry it that brings no joy to my life!
If we are not trying to compete, Administrators, coaches, faculty n coaches then top! N by compete i mean financially as well boosters and people then lets stop and do away with the athletic program at the University!
That's my rant n how i feel!

Based on the grammar and incoherent nature of this post, if you really do have a degree from the U, we should probably shut down our Academic studies and focus solely on sports.
a bit harsh considering it was a 2am post. My 2am posts are usually messy too

I'll admit. given football's lack of success sometimes i think the U should go the University of Chicago path. or take some of that football money and try to elevate some olympic sports. or just resign to being a hockey school

regarding basketball, the last numbers i saw suggested revenues are $12 million and costs $6 million. sometimes i wonder if the U is treating/running the program as a cash cow. basically, it will bring in $12 million if you invest more or less into the program so why invest more

Last edited:

a bit harsh considering it was a 2am post. My 2am posts are usually messy too

I'll admit. given football's lack of success sometimes i think the U should go the University of Chicago path. or take some of that football money and try to elevate some olympic sports. or just resign to being a hockey school

regarding basketball, the last numbers i saw suggested revenues are $12 million and costs $6 million. sometimes i wonder if the U is treating/running the program as a cash cow. basically, it will bring in $12 million if you invest more or less into the program so why invest more

In football we have the 5th best record in the B1G over the last 5 years, only 2 games behind Iowa for 4th. The other three are Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn St. That's grounds for shutting the program down? What about the other 9 programs who are worse?

The basketball profits are not that high, the last I saw was like 1-2 million during the last Pitino year, and I'm sure that's closer to zero over the last two years with a morgue of a barn. The issues there are squarely on the coach. They didn't hire Ben 'on the cheap' and they gave him the same salary as Pitino, he's just a significantly worse coach.

as we have discussed, the decline in attendance in hoops began after Norwood Teague put in the new "seat Donation" policy that forced season-ticket holders to make much larger 'scholarship contributions' in addition to the cost of the tickets. (I believe in 2013 ?)

that decreased the season-ticket base, and made basketball more dependent on walk-up and single-game sales. and single-game sales tend to correlate to the team's success. if the team is doing well, people will get interested and some will buy tickets. if the team is not doing well.........

higher ticket prices and poor performance lead to small crowds. then the local media piles on and tells everyone how bad the Gophers are. the odds of lower ticket prices are.....low. so for attendance to improve, the team has to play better and win games.

and of course, like all sports, when people can stay home and watch games on a 60" 4K TV, you really have to want to go to the game in person to deal with traffic, parking, etc.

The basketball profits are not that high, the last I saw was like 1-2 million during the last Pitino year, and I'm sure that's closer to zero over the last two years with a morgue of a barn. The issues there are squarely on the coach. They didn't hire Ben 'on the cheap' and they gave him the same salary as Pitino, he's just a significantly worse coach.
i was using Sportico

they updated their numbers to include the 21-22 season since i had last looked

if you have a different or better source analyzing Gopher Athletics financials please do post

I am a huge Gopher sports fan! My first memory of tv was the 1960 Rose Bowl! I was 3. I remember our last Big Ten football Football Championship in 1967. A football team lead by John Hankinson! Every saturday we had Gopher football on the radio.I shared this experience with smy dad. It remains very special to me. I am a 1981 graduate. I do not believe i ever will see us in another Rose Bowl or Final Four team with the Gophers as a participant! Why? Because apparently we can't compete! The latest major obstacle is NIL money! I am tired and honestly fed up!
If that's the case why are we even fielding a spoathletic departments!rts program!'lets stop this farce. The U can be as well boosters then stop this farce n do away with our athletic teams n what it is a institution of political correctness that yes thru it's research n academic program contribute to this state. But sorry it that brings no joy to my life!
If we are not trying to compete, Administrators, coaches, faculty n coaches then top! N by compete i mean financially as well boosters and people then lets stop and do away with the athletic program at the University!
That's my rant n how i feel!
I hope this was preceded by some Duck Duck Beer from Dinkytown Athletics.

i was using Sportico

if you have a different or better source analyzing Gopher Athletics financials please do post
wow! 9 million profit on mens BB?

In football we have the 5th best record in the B1G over the last 5 years, only 2 games behind Iowa for 4th. The other three are Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn St. That's grounds for shutting the program down? What about the other 9 programs who are worse?

Good for Ben. Considering Pitino was stealing for 8 years while he hung with kids in Edina while his assistants did all the work.

Need to find a way to convert some of that into NIL $$....

Cut ticket donation fees for basketball and strongly recommend that the money go to Dinkytown Athletes for basketball. Probably have to cut mens golf and gymnastics for budget reasons.

Last edited:

Cut ticket donation fees for basketball and strongly recommend that the money go to Dinkytown Athletes for basketball. Probably have to cut mens golf and gymnastics for budget reasons.
Will Minnesotans do it if it's only strongly recommended?

Will Minnesotans do it if it's only strongly recommended?
No, partly sarcastic post, also maintaining support for sports like golf is for some reason important.

i was using Sportico

Thanks for the link and those numbers look accurate. I was wrong and was thinking back to the 19-20 numbers and combining men's and women's basketball, since women's operates at a $4 million loss. That still puts total basketball revenue at $5.5 million for last year, and $9.5 million for men's basketball alone.

Interestingly enough the jump in revenue last year compared to 19-20 is mainly from donations, which nearly doubled to $3.1 million. Media rights increased by ~400k, and ticket sales dropped by ~600k.

Last edited:

Wow, great idea. I wonder if the U were to provide a discount on donations if you can prove you have donated to a similar organization (like Dinkytown). Donate 200 to Dinkytown, you get $200 off on your donation. Any of you that claim to be lawyers want to chime in?

Where do these profits go? Athletic department? Academic programs? Both? Neither?

Where do these profits go? Athletic department? Academic programs? Both? Neither?
from a total program perspective, from the sportico data looks like the gophers spend a few million more in the athletic department than they bring in. that deficit would be even larger if basketball wasn't as profitable

from a total program perspective, from the sportico data looks like the gophers spend a few million more in the athletic department than they bring in. that deficit would be even larger if basketball wasn't as profitable
Let's be clear hear "if Men's basketball wasn't as profitable." The Women's basketball program graph is a gross inversion of Revenue & Expenses compared to the Men's basketball program.

Wow, great idea. I wonder if the U were to provide a discount on donations if you can prove you have donated to a similar organization (like Dinkytown). Donate 200 to Dinkytown, you get $200 off on your donation. Any of you that claim to be lawyers want to chime in?
Not a lawyer, but pretty sure that’s specifically not allowed in the NIL world. That completely erases any veneer of this not being pay for play sponsored by the schools.

Not a lawyer, but pretty sure that’s specifically not allowed in the NIL world. That completely erases any veneer of this not being pay for play sponsored by the schools.
Lol. What's the NCAA going to do about it? Nothing.

Lol. What's the NCAA going to do about it? Nothing.
if UNC does it, UMinn or Cleveland State could be hit with some harsh penalties

didn't ryan day at OSU say some recruits are asking for $5K just to visit? wonder how OSU are paying for that

Top Bottom