O-Zone writers are back at it...Bold Predictions for each B10 team

Here is what they wrote about the Gophers:

12. Minnesota will go 0-8 in Big Ten play.
I know you may not think this is that bold of a prediction, but when Minnesota goes 0-8 this season, it will only be the second time they have done so in the last 30 years. The other time was 2007, which was Tim Brewster's first season. The Gophers' most winnable game is the one that will probably determine if they win any conference games at all – the Big Ten opener against Iowa in TCF Bank Stadium. If they lose that game, I don't know where a win will come from. The best bets would be Penn State at home or at Indiana, and I would expect the Gophers to be underdogs in both of those games.

http://theozone.net/football/2013/offseason/TwelveBoldPredictions.html

Go Gophers!!

I could gain 100 yards rushing against Indiana. We will score 30 plus against Indiana

I think somone more ambitious than I should start collecting/documenting the 0-8 predictions. This is at least the second one. Anything is possible, including 0-8, but with a universally described improved Gopher team competing in a universally described "down" B1G... something must be wrong with my math to think that 0-8 prediction could be likely.

I can understand ranking the Gophers on the lower side of the Big Ten. I just dont think some of the college writers spend any time at all studying up on the teams they dont follow directly. The Gophers have some big questions coming into the season especially at WR, LBer, and health. After saying that they also have a veteran offensive line, solid physical running backs, a young QB with some experience, and a pretty good D-line. I look at what the Gophers had coming back last season and this team seems so much better on paper than that one did and they got hammered by injuries. I think this Gopher team has a great chance to win 7 regular season games if thing come together and they stay relatively healthy. I think some in the Big Ten Media over estimate the talent in the Big Ten. These teams for the most part are pretty close in talent. Throw out maybe the top two teams and the worst team or two and on any given day any team can win or lose to the other.

I love it, keep it coming! Nothing better than proving everyone wrong.

So Indiana is destined for the Gator bowl based on winning 5 games in the past 2 years, Iowa is bowling with no QB coming off a 4 win season, Purdue somehow upsets ND, and we suck because why?
Here's the translation.
Indiana put up points against OSU last year, aka was surprisingly good in that game = amazing 2013
Iowa is Iowa = Kirk Ferentz = bowl game
Purdue's new coach was a tressel guy = OSU cred = Upset city.
Minnesota has been under the radar nationally, and haven't played OSU in 2 years = irrelevant = 0-8
It's just some lazy writing, nothing to get worked up over.

So Indiana is destined for the Gator bowl based on winning 5 games in the past 2 years, Iowa is bowling with no QB coming off a 4 win season, Purdue somehow upsets ND, and we suck because why?
Here's the translation.
Indiana put up points against OSU last year, aka was surprisingly good in that game = amazing 2013
Minnesota has been under the radar nationally, and haven't played OSU in 2 years = irrelevant = 0-8

You nailed it.

Here's the translation.

Nailed it.

I think some in the Big Ten Media over estimate the talent in the Big Ten. These teams for the most part are pretty close in talent. Throw out maybe the top two teams and the worst team or two and on any given day any team can win or lose to the other.

This. I think almost everyone does the same thing though. I would still be leery to predict 7-8 wins on the season since they haven't done it for a while but 0-8 in conference seems incredibly unlikely. What do the conference wins come down to? Special teams, game planning, injuries, luck, etc.? What were the reasons we had a great game against purdue last season for example? Did they game plan poorly or did we do a good job with that and exploit a weakness or was it luck or something else? Before the game I don't think anyone would say we were overwhelmingly more talanted as a football team than they were but the score could indicate that.

Not a single one of last year's predictions was correct.

1. Michigan will be 2-3 after five games. Nope, 3-2
2. Iowa quarterback James Vandenberg will have the most prolific passing season for a non-Purdue Big Ten quarterback ever. Not even close.
3. Minnesota will finish their Big Ten record with an 0-8 record. 2-6
4. Ohio State will keep Michigan out of the Big Ten Championship Game.Even if Michigan wins, Nebraska beat Michigan for the tie-breaker.
5. Wisconsin will go 0-2 against Michigan State this season. 0-1
6. Michigan State linebacker Denicos Allen will be the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year. Wasn't even all conference 1st or 2nd team.
7. Illinois will be undefeated at home and winless on the road. 2-5 at home
8. Purdue will once again skate by a MAC team in a bowl game. lost to Oklahoma St.
9. Indiana will start the season 4-0, including a win at Northwestern. 2-2 with losses to Ball St. and NW
10. Nebraska will finish with a .500 conference record. Almost, 7-1
11. Northwestern will finish with a losing record for the second consecutive season. Another close one, 10-3
12. Penn State will fail to score 14 or more points in at least half of their games. Scored 14+ in every game. Scored 23+ in all but two games.

Some good predictions there.

2. Iowa quarterback James Vandenberg will have the most prolific passing season for a non-Purdue Big Ten quarterback ever. Not even close.
4. Ohio State will keep Michigan out of the Big Ten Championship Game.Even if Michigan wins, Nebraska beat Michigan for the tie-breaker.
6. Michigan State linebacker Denicos Allen will be the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year. Wasn't even all conference 1st or 2nd team.
8. Purdue will once again skate by a MAC team in a bowl game. lost to Oklahoma St.
9. Indiana will start the season 4-0, including a win at Northwestern. 2-2 with losses to Ball St. and NW
11. Northwestern will finish with a losing record for the second consecutive season. Another close one, 10-3
12. Penn State will fail to score 14 or more points in at least half of their games. Scored 14+ in every game. Scored 23+ in all but two games.

HA!

The amount of time you put in to researching two of those factoids was more time than the entire O-Zone staff of writers put in to the article. Nice job GiI!

The amount of time you put in to researching two of those factoids was more time than the entire O-Zone staff of writers put in to the article. Nice job GiI!

And to think he did it from far away in Iowa. I agree, nice job!

So who exactly do we have to beat and how many conference wins do we need to change the predictions to 1-2 wins in conference per season instead of 0-8?

Also how many times do we have to not go 0-8 before people stop predicting us to go 0-8? As bad as we've been, we almost always find a way to get a win or two in conference. I wanna say Brewster's first season was our first winless conference season since the '80's.

Also how many times do we have to not go 0-8 before people stop predicting us to go 0-8? As bad as we've been, we almost always find a way to get a win or two in conference. I wanna say Brewster's first season was our first winless conference season since the '80's.

Going winless in conference play has been uncommon for the Gophers. The Gophers went winless in 2007 and 1983, of course, but before 1983, you had to go all the way back to 1920 for a winless season, when the Gophers finished 0-6 in the Big Ten.

The other winless conference seasons were 1908 (0-2), 1899 (0-3) and 1897 (0-3).

There were a couple seasons where the Gophers didn't win a Big Ten game, but did have a tie, and I'm not counting them as winless seasons: 1988 (0-6-2) and 1907 (0-1-1)

Betting on the Gophers going winless in the Big Ten just isn't that good a bet. Aside from the Wacker era, even one-win Big Ten seasons aren't that common.

HAHA! Nicely done GII!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :)

people,

bold prediction does not mean picking the gophers to go 2-6 in conference. picking the gophers to go 6-2 in conference would be bold. picking the gophers to go 0-8 in conference is also bold.

a bold prediction is a bold prediction.

re-lax

people,

bold prediction does not mean picking the gophers to go 2-6 in conference. picking the gophers to go 6-2 in conference would be bold. picking the gophers to go 0-8 in conference is also bold.

a bold prediction is a bold prediction.

re-lax

It's not really bold anymore if you make the same prediction every year.

It's not really bold anymore if you make the same prediction every year.

If you go 0-12 with your bold predictions, you deserve to be laughed at. If you're going to crow about being right, then be prepared to eat crow when you're wrong.

Top Bottom