O-Line

Bisker82

Death From Above
Reaction score
This is the biggest mystery to me. I don't understand how our o-line can look so bad. They're not small by any means, and according to previous stories this summer, most everyone was buying in to the new strength & conditioning program. Yet, for some reason, they are completely dominated every game. Is it strength & conditioning, technique, or just simply not having the nasty attitude that successful linemen seem to possess. I'm not trying to be negative, but I just can't figure this one out. I thought the o-line could definitely be a plus this year and if they could turn it around that would be a great start for, the lack of a better term, re-building. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

To me, they are the most disappointing unit on the team right now. Not one player on our oline has played good this year.

Good OL's are usually the smartest guys on the team, the nicest guys off the field, and the nastiest on. Don't think we have a nasty in the group right now.

Good OL's are usually the smartest guys on the team, the nicest guys off the field, and the nastiest on. Don't think we have a nasty in the group right now.

Yeah, to me that seems to be the case. I've seen these guys tossed aside, sometimes looking like ragdolls, and they seem to just meekly walk back to the huddle. Where is the pride, the fight? If it's not time to get nasty now, then it never will be. Can you teach nasty?

You have 2 Freshman (Gjere & Epping) playing with a Sophmore(Olsen). They're young!!!!!

They have all been looking bad. Pretty much every one of them. I expected some kind of improvement out of Olson and I expected Gjere to be at least not terrible after a redshirt year. I don't think its too much to expect out of those guys.

Yeah, to me that seems to be the case. I've seen these guys tossed aside, sometimes looking like ragdolls, and they seem to just meekly walk back to the huddle. Where is the pride, the fight? If it's not time to get nasty now, then it never will be. Can you teach nasty?

At this point, I would gladly accept the 15 yard personal foul for some extra fighting after the play. Just something. Some attitude or charisma. Maybe it fires the team up

As pointed out, there is some youth out there, but there are also three seniors in the interior of the line that are, in a word, terrible. Bunders, Orton and Wynn are just not very talented, and Orton and Wynn have thin legs in my opinion, at least by OL standards, and I think they don't get much push.

I didn't see the Michigan game, but Epping played sparingly against the Bison, so I don't have much thought about him other than I think he has been a non-factor.

Gjere has struggled, no question. For as highly regarded as he was, he has disappointed. I think he doesn't have much confidence right now. I am very disappointed in Olson. He just does not seem to be progressing and I have to say I question whether or not he has enough althleticsm to play LT in the B1G.

You have 2 Freshman (Gjere & Epping) playing with a Sophmore(Olsen). They're young!!!!!

I understand they're young, but that doesn't preclude them from putting the smack down on someone. I'd rather them be young and aggressive, even if they make mistakes. It takes a mean streak on the field; an attitude that you're going to be the one that makes the impact to be successful. Most games are usually won in the trenches on both sides of the ball, so the attitude has to be established, especially when they are young.

As I said on the other o-line thread. There is alot of difference between a 19 yr old 300 lb. and a 22 yr old 300lb. Go thru the o-lines to the top 15 pgm. in the country and most will be 4th and 5th yr. kids some 3rd yr. but very few younger than that. Boys against men, but as in the 2nd half Sat. we had 4-5 Fr. RS Fr. Soph. playing. They are going toget the heck eat out of them for awhile, but in a couple of yrs. they will be pretty good and we will be able tolet kid mature and play when they are ready, like Wisc. and just reload.

At a successful program, Gjere, Olsen, and Epping would be guys who would be REALLY looking forward to the CHANCE to MAYBE see some playing time in HALF of the games NEXT year.

That's about all that needs to be said.

Now this might be way off base but is it possible these kids still aren't used to te pace of practice and just getting a**es kicked everyday and are exhausted by the time saturday hits.

A lot of the penalties and mistakes could be explained by fatigue and/or laziness. They're not a result of coaching (suggested in a previous thread) as no coach would teach a technique that would consistently draw a penalty.

Now this might be way off base but is it possible these kids still aren't used to te pace of practice and just getting a**es kicked everyday and are exhausted by the time saturday hits.

A lot of the penalties and mistakes could be explained by fatigue and/or laziness. They're not a result of coaching (suggested in a previous thread) as no coach would teach a technique that would consistently draw a penalty.

I don't think this is far fetched at all.

OC as O- Line coach

And why do we have the OC, Limegrover, as the O-line coach? I know he has done this for quite sometime and likes it this way and all, but is it necessary and working? Every team has their O-line coach down on the field with the line to "coach". Our guy is the OC up in the booth. (I'm assuming we must have the Tight Ends / H-back coach work with them on the field??). Anyway, I know this dual-position coach isn't absolutely unique, but it's certainly rare in D1 for a Coordinator. I don't see why we didn't keep Tim Davis, not only a good guy and experienced coach with a great resume for recruiting the O-line, but he coached on the sidelines and clearly could dedicate more time to this group than the OC. This OC also being the O-line coach just reminds of DII or DIII football where one coach also washed the uniforms while another was in charge of driving the bus.

Not worried yet bout the young kids as previous have said, playing 19-20 year olds on the line is a recipe for disaster. Very few young linemen don't struggle. Take a look down to Miami and the nation's number 1 recruit during his play last year. Very underwhelming and he was getting blasted by the fans in Miami for being overrated. I just think in general, you have to wait a couple of years to determine how good they'll be. Kind of like centers in BB. Seems like they reach their potential later than some.

Know as far as being the smartest guys on the team? Don't know about that but I do agree we could use some nasty this year.

The younger guys are starting to get push, the problem is if one of them misses an assignment, which happens frequently the play is instantaneously blown up.

Top Bottom