Now what?

Well, if the basketball team stays on a roll and the Twins play some darn good baseball, spring and summer should fly by and it'll be September before you know it.

- Spring Game
- Recruiting the 2010 class
- Arguments on Weber vs MarQueis and which RBs/WRs will start/play
- Daily countdown to season opener!

Do you think that there will be some early commits for next year like we had with Moses last year? If so who?

What's next to get excited about?

I'm excited for the new recruit rankings/stars to come out. I'm hoping our '10 commit out of Wisconsin is ranked #1 over there so I can click and see "Minnesota" next to his name whenever I'm feeling blue.

Of course, now that he's committed here, Rivals will rank him 12th or something.

I'm excited to see Jedd Fisch and his offense (more so post spring of course). Saw him interviewed for the first time....seems like he loves game-planning and breaking down an opponent. Confidence, etc.

Who knows in the end of course.

Spring Game for sure...

Which high school venue will be the site for the spring game?

Not being from here...nor having a kid in high school yet...what's some of the best H.S. venues in the Twin Cities (which I assume is being considered) that could handle a spring game?

Go Gophers! Beat the Orangemen!

Reports, blogs on conditioning and the voluntary drills. 7 o7 sessions, how are Grey and Nance throwing the ball. Is Sam Maresh battling for a starting position?

Spring Practice. Is the offensive line set? Does Fisch have a plan to spread the field, and the ball around? Who is the bell cow in the backfield? And will we see two back sets? Will they use The Horse at Fullback? Who will replace The Flying Dutchman? Do we have enough depth, strength, conditioning, and technique at the defensive tackle position? Can they defeat the block and penetrate? Can the hold the point? Will we see more 3-4? Who will replace Manion? Will Dandrige emerge?

Where is the Spring Game?

Following the spring game, voluntary drills. Is Weber participating? Can he find anyone but Decker?

There is talent, but a lot of questions. Who will ask? Who will report?

Which high school venue will be the site for the spring game?

Not being from here...nor having a kid in high school yet...what's some of the best H.S. venues in the Twin Cities (which I assume is being considered) that could handle a spring game?

Go Gophers! Beat the Orangemen!

It will be held at a college venue. I'm pretty sure it is a violation of NCAA regulations to host it at a high school facility.

HS venue...

Grunkiejr, Coach said on Sid and Dave on Sunday AM we'd be playing at an HS venue for the Spring game. This was to convey his support for MN schools as the first source of talent for the UM.

In terms of NCAA rules...I'm no expert...but in terms of us renting a venue...hard to see how that would compromise anything. I can be educated though on most anything.

Go Gophers! Keep Recruiting!

Another Question

So I was wondering if there are or have been certain situation with recruits, who because of financial capabilities allow them to voluntarily take the walk on approach to save a scholarship. Does this sort of thing ever happen?

So I was wondering if there are or have been certain situation with recruits, who because of financial capabilities allow them to voluntarily take the walk on approach to save a scholarship. Does this sort of thing ever happen?

No idea about football, but it happens all the time in hockey, where the roster size exceeds the number of scholarships allowed. Players are offered a portion of a full scholarship. It works out well for the U, as demand far exceeds supply. The fact that a certain recent #1 overall pick was nowhere near a full scholarship might give you an idea of how that situation works.

Not to start a debate, but elite prep athletes in hockey tend to be in much different socio-economic situations than elite prep football players -- yes, I'm generalizing here, but bear with me. For that reason, it is much more likely that a family who has been paying for their son to attend hockey camps, programs and schools around the country (and even world) since birth to have the capability of paying for the other remaining proportion of tuition and board -- in this case to ensure their kid goes to the best hockey program in the country -- than a prep football player and his family likely would.

All of that said, with the number of football scholarships available and the intense competitive nature of college football recruiting, coupled with my generalization above, I doubt the scenario you suggested is anything more than aberration.

Hope this helps?
(copyright 200X H.P.)

Top Bottom