Now this was a backcourt!!

Legit 2 of my favorite players.

True story: Few years ago I was at a gas station in Maple Grove. Ariel McDonald was right behind me. For those that have seen him, he looks like he can still suit up. I recognized him and said how big of a fan I was and that I knew he we recruited him from North Carolina, he’s our all time assist leader and he was a legend in Israel for years. His wife was with him and their jaws dropped that some dude turns around and basically recites his bio for a guy who hasn’t played in years and is probably never recognized. His wife took a pic of both of us on her camera so she could show their kids that their Dad had a big fan!

Go Gophers!!

True story: Few years ago I was at a gas station in Maple Grove. Ariel McDonald was right behind me. For those that have seen him, he looks like he can still suit up. I recognized him and said how big of a fan I was and that I knew he we recruited him from North Carolina, he’s our all time assist leader and he was a legend in Israel for years. His wife was with him and their jaws dropped that some dude turns around and basically recites his bio for a guy who hasn’t played in years and is probably never recognized. His wife took a pic of both of us on her camera so she could show their kids that their Dad had a big fan!

Go Gophers!!
Bleed, it doesn’t surprise me a bit that you could recognize him and that you made his family’s day!

Go Gophers!!
Was a restraining order filed?

I feel like people forget how great Townsend Orr was! He crushed the Great Alaska Shootout that one year!
I thought they could have made a run in Ariel's senior year. Those 3 were an awesome backcourt. However one (win) and done that season.

Last edited:

Go Gophers!!
You did him proud! 👍

I think the best guard combo was Bobby Jackson, Eric Harris, Quincy Lewis in '96/'97. They were dynamic, and complimented each other very well. Hard to imagine Jackson played one year after transferring from Western Nebraska Community College! Sadly, another controversy erased that season from the books.

I think the best guard combo was Bobby Jackson, Eric Harris, Quincy Lewis in '96/'97. They were dynamic, and complimented each other very well. Hard to imagine Jackson played one year after transferring from Western Nebraska Community College! Sadly, another controversy erased that season from the books.
That season is never erased.

Q backed up Sam at the 3. Charles Thomas was the third member of the guard group that year

I feel like people forget how great Townsend Orr was! He crushed the Great Alaska Shootout that one year!

Orr was my favorite player on that team. Probably because I knew I wanted to be a point guard by that time and my favorite team was obviously the Gophers. In the driveway though, I was always Penny Hardaway… 😁

Q backed up Sam at the 3. Charles Thomas was the third member of the guard group that year
I know quote on quote that season does not exist per the NCAA but i say baloney, Nc did what we did for over 25cyears how many seasons or titles did they vacate the saint John Wooden ( yeah right he had a money man and was a huge cheater, how many titles has UCLA vacated. KENTUCKY AND Connecticutt ( El Amins year the team made huge money from boosters, Michigan fab five the Quote "Jalen Rose took a pay cut to play in the NBA.
The gophers won the BIG TEN THAT YEAR!
Oh n Star and Tribune and the Academic Advisor who was boning Archambeault ( in turn for doing his papers) only in this flaming commie state would we turn our own University in.

The 1994 Great Alaska Shootout was the greatest non-conference accomplishment in Gopher hoops history. Beat 3 teams that ended up in the NCAA Tournament. … Arizona, BYU & Villanova (I can’t remember the exact order).

Unfortunately, that Gopher team lost to St. Louis in 1st round of NCAA tourney.

The 1994 Great Alaska Shootout was the greatest non-conference accomplishment in Gopher hoops history. Beat 3 teams that ended up in the NCAA Tournament. … Arizona, BYU & Villanova (I can’t remember the exact order).

Unfortunately, that Gopher team lost to St. Louis in 1st round of NCAA tourney.

I was 14 Gopher Basketball was probably my #2 team behind the Twins. And we beat BYU for the title! Back then I thought nothing was cooler because every year I watched that tourny on ESPN so watching us win it was like winning the Big Ten!

BTW I looked on wiki...the next year Duke beat Iowa in the finals and somehow Ray Allen was the MVP for UCONN. The year before us Purdue beat Portland and Glenn Rice was MVP.

I know quote on quote that season does not exist per the NCAA but i say baloney, Nc did what we did for over 25cyears how many seasons or titles did they vacate the saint John Wooden ( yeah right he had a money man and was a huge cheater, how many titles has UCLA vacated. KENTUCKY AND Connecticutt ( El Amins year the team made huge money from boosters, Michigan fab five the Quote "Jalen Rose took a pay cut to play in the NBA.
Oh n Star and Tribune and the Academic Advisor who was boning Archambeault ( in turn for doing his papers) only in this flaming commie state would we turn our own University in.
Geez, are you OK?

Actually it was the Pioneer Press that broke the story.

And, Sugar Ray Williams, Osborne Lockhart, and Flip Saunders just raised their hands to be considered as well.
My intro to Gopher Hoops was the 1981-82 team so Trent Tucker and Darryl Mitchell will always be at the top for me. Mark Hall and a young Tommy Davis backed them up and they also had some dude named Bruce Kaupa on the roster. 🙂

As pointed out earlier, Lou Hudson, Archie Clark, and Terry Kunze and Don Yates was undeniably the best UMN backcourt to ever play, though Hudson was was really a forward when 6’5” was the usual size for a forward of that era. Hudson is NBA HOF, Clark was a dynamic scorer for the LA Lakers and had an outstanding career. Kunze was a great shooter and I think he set a school record by hitting 14 of 15 shots in one game. Yates was a double figure scoring sixth man before he became academically ineligible.

Top Bottom