Now the important stuff: TAILGATING

Gopherdrummer

Reaction score
First night game of the year. It's time to talk tailgating, what ya got? Special recipes, adult beverages, set ups? Time to party!

I will be tailgating in the Gold Lot for this one. Three couples, plenty of adult beverages and my buddy is making us promise not to bring food because he is going to take care of it. Whatever we will be eating, I can only guarantee that it will be grilled.

Shrimp makes a nice starter while the grill is warming.

I will be drinking only 40s on Saturday while tailgating. While the idea of drinking a 40 is not new to me, there is nothing better than drinking malt liquor from a giant glass bottle wrapped in a paper bag. The bag acts as a home made coozy. Plus the cost of a 40 at dinkytown liquors is a steal!

I will be drinking only 40s on Saturday while tailgating. While the idea of drinking a 40 is not new to me, there is nothing better than drinking malt liquor from a giant glass bottle wrapped in a paper bag. The bag acts as a home made coozy. Plus the cost of a 40 at dinkytown liquors is a steal!

It's better if you are under a bridge, but a tailgate is good as well.

Warm-up at Gasthofs on Friday night then anything and everything Saturday.

We'll be setting up camp in our normal spot in the West Bank lots by the Law Library. The meal will be starting with some grilled Buffalo wings and ending with New York cheesecake in reference to our opponent. In between, its steak and mushroom kebabs, pasta salad and grilled veggies. Night games is where we really do the tailgating up and serve a full sit-down style meal.

I'm sure it will be mostly beer being consumed but there might be a shot or two mixed in. Another thing about night games is that they are a good time to practice pacing when it comes to adult beverages. Slow and steady, friends. You don't want to spend kickoff passed out in your car.

We are thinking of doing something different this week. My brother is going to take a cab at 3 or 4 and run to White Castle and grab couple of crave cases along with some fries and onion chips. As for beverages we are going with Hams Special Light, Grain Belt Nordeasts and one or two different bottles of scotch.

No mas, no mas! My experience with malt liquor is that it too often becomes MAAAAAALLLT LIIIIIIQUORR.

Anyone know of a good Upstate New York beer? If one exists, Four Ferkins is on the way from my house.

We are thinking of doing something different this week. My brother is going to take a cab at 3 or 4 and run to White Castle and grab couple of crave cases along with some fries and onion chips. As for beverages we are going with Hams Special Light, Grain Belt Nordeasts and one or two different bottles of scotch.

Yikes!! White castles washed down with Hamms and Grain Belt sounds like the perfect combination if you have a bad cold. It may not cure the cold but you will definitely think twice before sneezing.

Anyone know of a good Upstate New York beer? If one exists, Four Ferkins is on the way from my house.

Anything from Ommegang, which is located in Cooperstown. It'll kick your butt but it's awesome beer. In fact, they do an Ommegang Hennepin that seems like a match made in heaven for this game.

No mas, no mas! My experience with malt liquor is that it too often becomes MAAAAAALLLT LIIIIIIQUORR.
The last time I drank 40s, we had a race to see who could drink two of them the fastest. I finished in 22 minutes. I won, but ultimately, I lost.

Yikes!! White castles washed down with Hamms and Grain Belt sounds like the perfect combination if you have a bad cold. It may not cure the cold but you will definitely think twice before sneezing.

hey man, don't hate on others alcohol of choice. i like me some hamm's and grain belt too. remember that we aren't all "hop heads". ;-)

Anything from Ommegang, which is located in Cooperstown. It'll kick your butt but it's awesome beer. In fact, they do an Ommegang Hennepin that seems like a match made in heaven for this game.
Oh yeah, good call. I actually have Hennepin glasses on display on the bar in my basement. My wife ordered glasses from their brewery as a birthday gift after we tried their beer.

Hennepin.jpg

That might possibly be the worst tailgaiting menu EVER...

That might possibly be the worst tailgaiting menu EVER...

It's very close to the menu we had for the game in Evanston in 2007 for an 11 AM kickoff. Went through the White Castle drive-thru at 7 AM, brought along a warm case of Beast Light, and set up shop in a lot right on the shores of Lake Michigan. There was a "this is so bad, it's good" element to it.

The last time I drank 40s, we had a race to see who could drink two of them the fastest. I finished in 22 minutes. I won, but ultimately, I lost.

We used to do the game where you duct tape an open 40 to each hand. Once both 40s are gone, you get the ref to cut the tape. 22 minutes...I bet you rule at this game. Probably wouldn't piss your pants or nothing!

I think I just sh*t a little while reading this. Well played sir!

We used to do the game where you duct tape an open 40 to each hand. Once both 40s are gone, you get the ref to cut the tape. 22 minutes...I bet you rule at this game. Probably wouldn't piss your pants or nothing!

Ahhh Edward Fortyhands.

Stuffed burgers, bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, buffalo mac & cheese, and various chip and dip combos. We bring out the best for night games.

Tall boys only when it comes to beers for our crew. I typically go with the "The Big Friendly", Premium Grain Belts. Great taste and the can screams Gopher tailgate.

GB.jpg

It's very close to the menu we had for the game in Evanston in 2007 for an 11 AM kickoff. Went through the White Castle drive-thru at 7 AM, brought along a warm case of Beast Light, and set up shop in a lot right on the shores of Lake Michigan. There was a "this is so bad, it's good" element to it.

Sounds delicious to me...

In honor of our starting QB, I will be drinking a Big Ginger.

Somebody save these guys a couple stalls in The Bank! All jokes aside, I wish I were going to be in MN for some tailgating and the game.

Top Bottom