Notre Dame and Big 10: HIstorical Perspective

DL65

Reaction score
There's been several threads in the past couple years about Notre Dame and the Big 10 when expansion discussions were raised. It's assumed they've been asked to join the Big 10 and they rejected the offer(s).

I recently finished reading a biography on Knute Rockne by Francis Wallace. Wallace was a sports journalist, author, screenwriter, and an alumnus of Notre Dame. He got his start in journalism while a student at the South Bend, Indiana school, 1919-23, as an offical newspaper correspondent at Notre Dame. While writing for the New York Daily News, he broke the story of Rockne's "Win one for the Gipper" when the Irish were playing Army.

In any case, I found this on page 37 in Wallace's book quite interesting:

"In 1896 the Western Conference was organized. Since Notre Dame was playing most of the state schools, it applied for membership but was shaken off as small fry, which, in terms of students, it definitely was. The Irish, under Tom Barry, who played for Brown and taken law at Harvard, put their house in order by meeting all Conference eligibility requirements. When Michigan withdrew in 1905, Notre Dame again applied, was rejected, didn't like it and, in the well-known Irish manner, let it be known. Schedule trouble immediately developed; and by 1909 there were no Conference games for Notre Dame."

A few years later, Notre Dame was once again playing many of the Conference schools on a regular basis. According to Wallace, there continued to be interest in joining the Western Conference on Rockne's part. Rockne even flirted with the idea of going to Ohio State - in his last years at Notre Dame - when a vacancy occurred. He wanted to coach against Michigan's Yost and Illinois' Bob Zuppke, and reportedly, in his mind, they were ducking Rockne and the 'Fighting irish.'

The Irish, of course, have had a storied and lucrative past since they sought membership in the Big 10. (Time and circumstances can certainly impact one's choices.) Nevertheless, one wonders if the Indiana school has a long memory of having been rejected by the Big 10 twice, and if it has been a factor in their decision making process. And, as I said earlier, has Notre Dame even been asked to join the Conference or is it only an assumption? I don't pretend to know the answer to that question.

Go Gophers!!

There's been several threads in the past couple years about Notre Dame and the Big 10 when expansion discussions were raised. It's assumed they've been asked to join the Big 10 and they rejected the offer(s).

I recently finished reading a biography on Knute Rockne by Francis Wallace. Wallace was a sports journalist, author, screenwriter, and an alumnus of Notre Dame. He got his start in journalism while a student at the South Bend, Indiana school, 1919-23, as an offical newspaper correspondent at Notre Dame. While writing for the New York Daily News, he broke the story of Rockne's "Win one for the Gipper" when the Irish were playing Army.

In any case, I found this on page 37 in Wallace's book quite interesting:

"In 1896 the Western Conference was organized. Since Notre Dame was playing most of the state schools, it applied for membership but was shaken off as small fry, which, in terms of students, it definitely was. The Irish, under Tom Barry, who played for Brown and taken law at Harvard, put their house in order by meeting all Conference eligibility requirements. When Michigan withdrew in 1905, Notre Dame again applied, was rejected, didn't like it and, in the well-known Irish manner, let it be known. Schedule trouble immediately developed; and by 1909 there were no Conference games for Notre Dame."

A few years later, Notre Dame was once again playing many of the Conference schools on a regular basis. According to Wallace, there continued to be interest in joining the Western Conference on Rockne's part. Rockne even flirted with the idea of going to Ohio State - in his last years at Notre Dame - when a vacancy occurred. He wanted to coach against Michigan's Yost and Illinois' Bob Zuppke, and reportedly, in his mind, they were ducking Rockne and the 'Fighting irish.'

The Irish, of course, have had a storied and lucrative past since they sought membership in the Big 10. (Time and circumstances can certainly impact one's choices.) Nevertheless, one wonders if the Indiana school has a long memory of having been rejected by the Big 10 twice, and if it has been a factor in their decision making process. And, as I said earlier, has Notre Dame even been asked to join the Conference or is it only an assumption? I don't pretend to know the answer to that question.

Go Gophers!!

Supposedly there have been offers both ways since the days on Rockne and the other didn't want to do it. There were rumors that ND was supposed to be the 12th team when PSU was offered and backed out before the announcement. Supposedly ND and Texas wanted to join in the 80's and the B1G wasn't interested in expansion at that time. Who knows how accurate those rumors are, but either way I think as times have changed the pendulum has swung both directions for both teams to various degrees.

Now, I honestly don't believe it will ever happen. Not ripping on ND, but what would they add? They make less per game on NBC then the B1G teams make per game w/ BTN, let alone ESPN. They add no TV's since the B1G already has two schools each in IL and IN. I just don't believe they increase the $ value to the B1G the same way as say Kansas, even though Kansas is a much lower profile school. And as we saw with adding Rutgers and Maryland, it's all about $$$. Obviously they increase the prestige of the conference, but I really don't think that is even a factor to the powers that be (again, see Rutgers and Maryland).

Supposedly there have been offers both ways since the days on Rockne and the other didn't want to do it. There were rumors that ND was supposed to be the 12th team when PSU was offered and backed out before the announcement. Supposedly ND and Texas wanted to join in the 80's and the B1G wasn't interested in expansion at that time. Who knows how accurate those rumors are, but either way I think as times have changed the pendulum has swung both directions for both teams to various degrees.

Now, I honestly don't believe it will ever happen. Not ripping on ND, but what would they add? They make less per game on NBC then the B1G teams make per game w/ BTN, let alone ESPN. They add no TV's since the B1G already has two schools each in IL and IN. I just don't believe they increase the $ value to the B1G the same way as say Kansas, even though Kansas is a much lower profile school. And as we saw with adding Rutgers and Maryland, it's all about $$$. Obviously they increase the prestige of the conference, but I really don't think that is even a factor to the powers that be (again, see Rutgers and Maryland).

I think they still add a ton. Notre Dame is one of those programs that has fans all over the country. And a lot of them. I think it's a no-brainer from a financial standpoint to add them if there's ever that opportunity.

I've got to believe in the end ND will have no choice but to join a conference. With all these super conferences, there will be more conference games and less chances to schedule good opponents.

ND wins the national championship this year and their stock will never be higher...and given the new 4 team playoff and conference realignment...there is a very real possibility that the Big Ten, Pac Ten, Big 12 and SEC decide to forgo the NCAA and start a 64 team football association with its own rules and TV deals that includes a 4 team playoff for the national championship and dozens of bowl games for the also-rans. No longer needing to send money to NCAA or splitting TV money with smaller schools, this 4 conference, 64 team alliance would be a financial wind fall for the participating schools and alter the landscape of college football. ND will be the prize and will end up in the Big 12 along with Florida St and some of the remaining ACC schools that the Big Ten doesn't want. We take NC & BC to fill out our 16 teams and secure two more TV markets for the BTN.

The NCAA has a long and storied history of racism, hypocrisy and flat out thievery and I for one will not miss it when it is gone. If college football is going to be the driving force for revenue to support all sports...then lets get on with it and start making the money.

I think for Notre Dame, they have a national following, they are catering to their fan base and alumni by playing at various locations around the country, joining a conference would restrict that significantly, if they feel they don't have to I don't see them in a conference for football, being in the Championship game almost gurantees this for the near future.

Top Bottom