Nothing like being 18.5 pt dog @ Purdue

Wet_Blanket_Guy

Reaction score
As a big gopher fan, this is sad.

Wonder what some of the bigger point spreads have been (Gophers as underdogs) in recent memory…

As a big gopher fan, this is sad.

Wonder what some of the bigger point spreads have been (Gophers as underdogs) in recent memory…
If Vegas had us as a 12-14 point dog to VT, then being 4-6 more against a top 5 team in the country isn’t that hard to fathom from a betting standpoint.

If Vegas had us as a 12-14 point dog to VT, then being 4-6 more against a top 5 team in the country isn’t that hard to fathom from a betting standpoint.
I get it from a betting standpoint, but it’s hard to swallow as a fan of the program. That’s a mountain of points, especially when the gophers play a slow tempo. It would be more understandable if they played an up tempo game and it just got away from them. To have a spread of 18.5 in a grind it out game is a massive spread.

I get it from a betting standpoint, but it’s hard to swallow as a fan of the program. That’s a mountain of points, especially when the gophers play a slow tempo. It would be more understandable if they played an up tempo game and it just got away from them. To have a spread of 18.5 in a grind it out game is a massive spread.
Fair I see the O/U is only 131.

Whatever. If garcia and battle play good no way we lose by that. Tough place to play. We'll see. Can see why the number is where it's at, but in 2 more months I doubt number is the same.

Your shtick is getting really old running around the board posting that same crap on all the forums. Come up with something new or take it somewhere else.
The worst part is his posts aren’t even clever

Purely from a betting perspective, 18.5 spreads are tough in conference. I think I would lean Purdue because they are probably 20-25 points better than us at the moment. Also on the betting side, teams down big generally tend to get a favorable whistle which can help a backdoor cover, that isn't the case with our abysmal FT%

It feels like there's no middle ground today. The Gophers will either start hitting outside shots and take Purdue down to the wire, or they get their doors blown off from minute 1 and lose by 30. Hopefully we see something more competitive today.

We have pressed and scored 10 in the last minute against reserves...so factor that into the totals.

It feels like there's no middle ground today. The Gophers will either start hitting outside shots and take Purdue down to the wire, or they get their doors blown off from minute 1 and lose by 30. Hopefully we see something more competitive today.
Yep, that’s been the gopher basketball I grew up with. Miracles or misery. Apologies to Mr. Outsider who appears to have a broken ignore button on his Tandy 486.

So that plus the spread predicts a roughly 75-56 game. If I was betting I’m probably on Purdue and the over.

Well, FLA ST is off to a terrible start this season and Purdue beat them by only 10. Purdue beat Austin Peay by 19. Of course, they also beat Duke by 19 and Gonzaga by 18. We could get their FLA ST/Austin Peay effort instead of their Gonzaga/Duke effort and keep it within the spread.

It feels like there's no middle ground today. The Gophers will either start hitting outside shots and take Purdue down to the wire, or they get their doors blown off from minute 1 and lose by 30.

When did the team take a good team down to the wire so far this season? I've seen only the following this season:

Beat one bad team by double digits
Beat three pretty mediocre teams by single digits
Lost to three good/credible teams by double digits (one was actually 9 points but the game was more than that until the end).

When did the team take a good team down to the wire so far this season? I've seen only the following this season:

Beat one bad team by double digits
Beat three pretty mediocre teams by single digits
Lost to three good/credible teams by double digits (one was actually 9 points but the game was more than that until the end).

Just because they haven't doesn't mean they won't at some point this season. Once upon a time a very bad Joey King led Gophers team beat a 6th ranked Maryland team.

Top Bottom