Not sure what you were disappointed with today. This team is who we are.

Sparlimb

Reaction score
This is the team we have folks. If they were going to improve this season, if they were going to show more heart, leadership, or fight, we'd have seen glimpses by now. Not sure if the players have given up on the coaching staf for the coaching staff on the players. Probably a little bit of both. We're going to go through the motions the rest of the season. So if that sickens you, don't watch. Personally, I can distance my anger at sucking and watching the team. I don't know what else we can expect. I think we're a lock for losing by 30+ to every team we play the rest of the season. Luckily for us Kill has a "Killer" recruiting class lined up.

A 'killer' recruiting class? now I've heard everything. How do you know this class is going to be any good?

I sure hope this killer recruiting class wakes up our giant sleeping fanbase.

It reminds me of Salem's last season, but I'm still disappointed with the stupid mental errors. I thought that was something Kill could at least partially remedy.

Hey people: this is the FIRST year on the contract. This coach and this staff will be here. It is NOT the fault of this coach or this staff. Some players are going to walk. So be it. But, make NO mistake about it: this coach is here for as long as this coach wants to be here. They are NOT going to buy out his contract.

So whiners, mobbers and bashers, no matter how much you cry, this is how it is going down.

This season is about bottoming out from the failed brewball experiment. You brewballers got everything you wanted and in the end you got exactly what you deserved. The 2012 season will be the beginning of the Killball era. This 2011 season is the final chapter of the brewball failure. The house will be cleaned by the end of this year. There will be a new AD. The new prexy will begin demonstrating whether he has a backbone or not. But, NO new AD will replace this coach and staff. It will take how ever long it will take for the final effects of the failed brewball era to filter through.

The fact that the old administration hired the new football coach is just the way things went down. There will be a totally new administration and Coach Kill and his staff were just a year early to the party.

So, prexy k: you might just as well silence all the mobbers, bashers and whiners right now and give Coach Kill a full 10 years to clean up the mess that you, Coach Kill, his staff and all the new players have been handed. The upper- classes will have to decide if they will buy in.

What will be left of the Gopher Fan Base might just as well hunker down and rally 'round Coach Kill and his staff right now. The rotten, stinking mess that the revenue sports programs have crumbled into during the past five years must be upgraded and restored to life. Even if the football program goes 1-11 overall and 0-8 in 2011, it can NOT be helped. 2011 is the END of the former administration...the FORMER coaching staff... Sorry people, it is going to have to be that way. There could have been NO other way.

Then, in 2012, the rebuilding job will begin. This is going to take a LONG time. A lot of people will bail. So be it.

The beauty of the whole thing is that the University of Minnesota can NOT bail. Because of the long-term debt on TCF BANK STADIUM, prexy k and his new AD will HAVE support the football program and Coach Kill and his staff. They will HAVE to find a way to improve the Men's Hoops Program and they will NEED to get the Men's Hockey Program competetive again. The Big Ten Sports Network will DEMAND a fully functioning Men's Hockey Program at Minnesota as they bring out BIG TEN HOCKEY. Minnesota will also be pushed to be competetive in Men's Hoops for the benefit of the Big Ten Sports Network. And, in order to pay off the stadium and share the revenue, the Big Ten Sports Network will demand that the Gopher's Football Program can at least be competetive enough to win ooc games and qualify for a bowl game frequently.

So, get used to the idea that the 2011 season will be the swan-song for the person who oversaw the arrival of and failure of the brewball era. What ever the final record in 2011 is will mark the END OF THE BREWBALL ERA.

In 2012, Coach Kill's tenure will begin.

I'm going to totally support Coach Kill, because he is going to be here for a LONG time. Coach Kill will be and IS the face of Golden Gopher Football for as long as HE chooses to be the face of Golden Gopher Football. The administration at the U of M has NO other options. If Coach Kill leaves, it will be because HE decides to leave. Normally, his tenure would have started in2011, but things are SO messed up that 2011 truely is the end of the brewball era.

Good luck Coach Kill, the staff and ALL the players who buy in! It's going to be a long haul, but, having the brewball era ending is a very GOOD thing!

; 0 )

Coach Kill signed a memorandum of understanding and not a contract. Don't make me laugh. He won't be here that long.

This is the team we have folks. If they were going to improve this season, if they were going to show more heart, leadership, or fight, we'd have seen glimpses by now. Not sure if the players have given up on the coaching staf for the coaching staff on the players. Probably a little bit of both. We're going to go through the motions the rest of the season. So if that sickens you, don't watch. Personally, I can distance my anger at sucking and watching the team. I don't know what else we can expect. I think we're a lock for losing by 30+ to every team we play the rest of the season. Luckily for us Kill has a "Killer" recruiting class lined up.

You're right, but i guess the USC game gave me unrealistic hope. The gophers really went after it in that game - even conzemius on the post-game was talking about how they tackled much better in that game (second half anyway) than they have at any time since.

My God, is the forum ALWAYS like this when we lose? It is very annoying seeing these topics every week to the point where this forum becomes unbearable. From a lurker's point of view, I see this as coach Kill's first year here trying to turn around a beaten football program. People here are so absorbed into the negativity that we must have topics trying to reassure the others what the 'reality' is.

Unless I'm being trolled here, then who the hell trolls a college football board?

Birdy you and I have not agreed alot, but this is one of your best posts. You get it, too bad there are so many uninformed holers.

I think people are quicker to jump on the despair bandwagon because 4 years ago the same conversation was going on with Brewster. Just wait till Brewster gets 4 years of his recruits here, then you'll see. Well that didn't work out too well. I personally still believe Kill has a chance to turn the team around and do something a few years down the road, but it is easy to fall into the "here we go again" or "different coach, same result" attitude given the recent history of the gopher football program. Especially when you see the team getting blown out and embarrassed by mediocre teams.

There is NO WAY the Gophers get rid of Kill within 3 years. Why would they knowing that if they do, no decent coach would want this job.

Birdy you and I have not agreed alot, but this is one of your best posts. You get it, too bad there are so many uninformed holers.

Same goes for me. It's as if those holers don't see that every week there is another 3 or 4 FR or R-FR starting or playing significant minutes because a couple more of Brewster's JRs and/or Srs decided they were going to quit on their team and not play hard. Sure Coach Kill has the reputation of a disciplinarian, but many of the guys making mistakes/dumb plays today were true FR. Some getting their first taste of real action.

I applaud Coach Kill for sticking with his plan and not giving in to those who feel entitled. It's too bad he couldn't foresee who these slugs were going to be and cut them all loose when Jew-Jew Party was sent packing. Then everyone could plainly see why we currently aren't competitive and it will be a while until we are.

Coach could have allowed the inmates to continue running the asylum and kept playing them eventhough they showed no signs of commitment and perhaps we would have another win or two. But he knows from experience that sitting them down or showing them the door is the only way to get this mess turned around. Sure it's ugly now, but he really has no choice.

Sparlimb correct! "This is who we are"

Sparlimb is dead on the money when he says "this is who we are". The Gophers are exactly what you should expect:

Defense:

I believe I counted 27 different players that saw significant playing time on defense today, with 16 of them being underclassmen. The defense is historically young and inexperienced... and BAD, understandably. With so many players seeing the field and with so many underclassmen, this is a surprise?

At least four (4) FRESHMEN played significant minutes on the offensive line today (if Gjere weren't injured, it could have been 5). It's a surprise that they are struggling on offense?

This is a building process. Period. Lots of players are seeing the field in hopes of seeing who are the building blocks and who aren't. It wouldn't surprise me if the staff privately considers this a "throwaway" season. They are implementing their system and playing NUMEROUS players to provide valuable experience as well as find out who their guys are for the future.

Yes, I thought there would be fewer mental mistakes but considering how many guys are seeing the field, trying to make a play and trying to make an impression, and just plain THINKING too much, it's understandable.

The overreaction of some is laughable. The comparisons with Brewster and his first year are mind-boggling. In case you forgot, the big difference between Kill and Brew is that Kill (not to mention his ENTIRE FN STAFF) has done this before, and more than once.

The Kessel, 19 November 1942 - 31 January 1943

Hey people: this is the FIRST year on the contract. This coach and this staff will be here. It is NOT the fault of this coach or this staff. Some players are going to walk. So be it. But, make NO mistake about it: this coach is here for as long as this coach wants to be here. They are NOT going to buy out his contract.

So whiners, mobbers and bashers, no matter how much you cry, this is how it is going down.

This season is about bottoming out from the failed brewball experiment. You brewballers got everything you wanted and in the end you got exactly what you deserved. The 2012 season will be the beginning of the Killball era. This 2011 season is the final chapter of the brewball failure. The house will be cleaned by the end of this year. There will be a new AD. The new prexy will begin demonstrating whether he has a backbone or not. But, NO new AD will replace this coach and staff. It will take how ever long it will take for the final effects of the failed brewball era to filter through.

The fact that the old administration hired the new football coach is just the way things went down. There will be a totally new administration and Coach Kill and his staff were just a year early to the party.

So, prexy k: you might just as well silence all the mobbers, bashers and whiners right now and give Coach Kill a full 10 years to clean up the mess that you, Coach Kill, his staff and all the new players have been handed. The upper- classes will have to decide if they will buy in.

What will be left of the Gopher Fan Base might just as well hunker down and rally 'round Coach Kill and his staff right now. The rotten, stinking mess that the revenue sports programs have crumbled into during the past five years must be upgraded and restored to life. Even if the football program goes 1-11 overall and 0-8 in 2011, it can NOT be helped. 2011 is the END of the former administration...the FORMER coaching staff... Sorry people, it is going to have to be that way. There could have been NO other way.

Then, in 2012, the rebuilding job will begin. This is going to take a LONG time. A lot of people will bail. So be it.

The beauty of the whole thing is that the University of Minnesota can NOT bail. Because of the long-term debt on TCF BANK STADIUM, prexy k and his new AD will HAVE support the football program and Coach Kill and his staff. They will HAVE to find a way to improve the Men's Hoops Program and they will NEED to get the Men's Hockey Program competetive again. The Big Ten Sports Network will DEMAND a fully functioning Men's Hockey Program at Minnesota as they bring out BIG TEN HOCKEY. Minnesota will also be pushed to be competetive in Men's Hoops for the benefit of the Big Ten Sports Network. And, in order to pay off the stadium and share the revenue, the Big Ten Sports Network will demand that the Gopher's Football Program can at least be competetive enough to win ooc games and qualify for a bowl game frequently.

So, get used to the idea that the 2011 season will be the swan-song for the person who oversaw the arrival of and failure of the brewball era. What ever the final record in 2011 is will mark the END OF THE BREWBALL ERA.

In 2012, Coach Kill's tenure will begin.

I'm going to totally support Coach Kill, because he is going to be here for a LONG time. Coach Kill will be and IS the face of Golden Gopher Football for as long as HE chooses to be the face of Golden Gopher Football. The administration at the U of M has NO other options. If Coach Kill leaves, it will be because HE decides to leave. Normally, his tenure would have started in2011, but things are SO messed up that 2011 truely is the end of the brewball era.

Good luck Coach Kill, the staff and ALL the players who buy in! It's going to be a long haul, but, having the brewball era ending is a very GOOD thing!

; 0 )

imthewalrus,

1. I hope you are right. My fear is that Joel Maturi will refuse to retire, and the administration and / or The Regents of the University of Minnesota will not have the guts to allow his contract to lapse.

2. I hope we can mark 2011 as the end of the Joel Maturi era. Do you have inside information, or has some late breaking news been generated to give me hope that the Joel Maturi era is really going to end in 2011? A new University of Minnesota President and a new Athletic Director will help. Yet I fear the influence of The Regents of the University of Minnesota. Too many of these Regents are not University of Minnesota graduates. Who annoints people to become a Regent of the University of Minnesota? Ziggy Wilf or Lloyd Blankfein? I am just trying to figure out how much influence the Regents had on the decision to terminate Glen Mason. Since the Regents are not compensated, and are not required to be graduates of the University of Minnesota, this creates a fertile condition for bribery.

3. To paraphrase Nancy Reagan, "Just say NO to Yale, Harvard, and Notre Dame graduates."

Note to the folks who understand what Coach Kill is building and why this is going to take time: Stay the course and speak your mind. Stand up and be counted! Coach Kill and his staff will carry their own weight and they deserve good, positive support to contrast those that still believe this program can merely "fire it's way to prosperity..."

Give me a good, old fashioned ball coach who builds with a combination of recruiting good, solid, student athletes who have always had to work hard to reach their goals, take much pride in being a team member and have a desire to improve themselves and their team. Throw in a great conditioning and weight training work ethic and a lot of "want to" and heart and I believe that program will become competetive and will be a program we can all be very proud of!

Stand by the Gophers now and tell anybody and everybody what you like about the way our program is being constructed. Now is the time, when things may look the most bleak to some, to stay with the coach...the program...the players who are just beginning to get a glimpse of this new, competetive culture that Coach Kill and his staff will work so tirelessly to bring to the U! Stay with it!

What have we got to lose? What do we have to be afraid of? We must demand TIME and we must be patient. The next five years WILL be better years than the last 5 years were.

Note to the folks who understand what Coach Kill is building and why this is going to take time: Stay the course and speak your mind. Stand up and be counted! Coach Kill and his staff will carry their own weight and they deserve good, positive support to contrast those that still believe this program can merely "fire it's way to prosperity..."

What have we got to lose? What do we have to be afraid of? We must demand TIME and we must be patient. The next five years WILL be better years than the last 5 years were.

I'm officially frightened. Two remarkably unusually things just happened.

1) I actually READ one of Wren's complete posts (it was mercifully short)

2) I actually agreed with every single word.

Here's the real question: Are some of our resident "football experts" going to respond with equal or greater outrage and criticism if/when we see the same product in the next game as we have in the last several? I mean, surely we should expect DRAMATIC changes and improvement in just a week or two, right?

6 Nov 1999: I don't have any inside information. I'm not the "insider" type in either name, economic class or "rumor-seeking." The things I know are these: That individual is approaching 67 years of age. He no longer has a prexy who "owes him" because he took the hit several times for that prexy. That prexy is even older than he and is no longer in office. The new prexy has got to start covering his own tail and will want his own "loyal" AD to cover for him, if need be. There is no loyalty from a new prexy for some other prexy's fall-guy.

I also believe that he will qualify for a 10 year severence package/golden parachute in 2012. That was one reason he was extended by the old prexy.

Finally, I sense, that more and more people are holding the old prexy and especially this preson responsible for the mismanagement of the revenue sports, many coaches and many problems that have cropped up within the athletic department with Women's Hoops, the Golf Program, a basketball assistant position gone awry that resulted in a forced pay out as a result of a suit filed against the U and then, of course just the under preformance of the revenue sports and the plight of the football program. The failure to sell out the stadium and especially the horrible student ticket sale decline.

As an ace in the hole, I believe that as pressure mounts at the football games, the chance for public disapproval by the fans and students in attendance at the games may begin to become very vocal and verbal against this individual.

Why would he want to continue? Why would prexy k want him to continue? Why would the U of M want him to continue. So much is coming apart. Something MUST be done.

Of course, I might be completely wrong.

I honestly don't think he can survive though.

SKI-U-MAH!

ogee "o": No, don't expect dramatic improvement any time this season. That's just the nature of the beast in 2011. This is the cathartic climax of the final days of the failed brewball experiment. It is the collapse that will allow the program to start showing signs of life in 2012.

But, there very well may be some "green shoots..." that promise life for this program after 2011. There may be some junior and seniors who do figure out ways by example and by "buying in" to lead the younger lads to a better, a bit more competetive place in their position battles. All 11 positions may not function at the same time on the same play often...but watch...watch closely! It will begin to happen in small, slow ways. Perhaps there won't be lots of instant gratification for fans in 2011...but a genesis...a small beginning would be a very good thing!

As an ace in the hole, I believe that as pressure mounts at the football games, the chance for public disapproval by the fans and students in attendance at the games may begin to become very vocal and verbal against this individual.

An excellent idea! I say the Gopherhole posters call on all fans to start the chant next game. "Fire Maturi" Fire Maturi Fire Maturi Fire Maturi Fire Maturi...that, would be awesome!

I think people are quicker to jump on the despair bandwagon because 4 years ago the same conversation was going on with Brewster. Just wait till Brewster gets 4 years of his recruits here, then you'll see. Well that didn't work out too well. I personally still believe Kill has a chance to turn the team around and do something a few years down the road, but it is easy to fall into the "here we go again" or "different coach, same result" attitude given the recent history of the gopher football program. Especially when you see the team getting blown out and embarrassed by mediocre teams.

Best posts ever. He was going to save the program with his 4 and 5 star players...

Give me a good, old fashioned ball coach who builds with a combination of recruiting good, solid, student athletes who have always had to work hard to reach their goals, take much pride in being a team member and have a desire to improve themselves and their team. Throw in a great conditioning and weight training work ethic and a lot of "want to" and heart and I believe that program will become competetive and will be a program we can all be very proud of!

Stand by the Gophers now and tell anybody and everybody what you like about the way our program is being constructed. Now is the time, when things may look the most bleak to some, to stay with the coach...the program...the players who are just beginning to get a glimpse of this new, competetive culture that Coach Kill and his staff will work so tirelessly to bring to the U! Stay with it!

100% agree with this post....well said.

figured i would give my two cents...

I think one of the major down falls of thr Brew era was that he tried to get us to the top to quickly. -he went after all those 4 and 5 star recruits but neglected to worry about the 3 to "3.5" start players that make up the backbone of the team. When you are given a team of 1 and 2 stars you can just jump to a team of 4 and 5 star players(although it would be nice) you have to work up to it get solid 3 star guys to fill you roster and become a 7-5 team then try and grab a couple 4 star guys maybe a 5 and so on. -second brew was so worried about winning now that he didn't devolop players very well(obviously we all know this). So that somebody like MG still isn't ready to fully lead this team or TS not being a sure handed vet by now. With Kill I think we won't see that breakout year next year where for half the season we think we have a rose bowl shot, it will be slower because he's going to build this program from the bottom up and make sure the structure of a good team is there first(fundamentals) and then expand on it and then get the star power and flash, not do what Brew didn't and try to get all the flash and stars and then build a base(what could we expect from him he was a recruiter that's what they do). Just my two cents this is one of my first posts here but I like that people can talk here and not instanly turn into a personal web war keep it up guys, **sorry if the spacing and stuff is off I'm on my phone**

Top Bottom