Norwood Teague resigns amind sexual harassment allegations

Had him as a professor. Great guy and individual. Speculation, but may have left because Norwood was bringing in his own people.

Had his dad (Phil, Sr.) for a professor. I'd say the same....Great person.

I don't see this as a huge setback for the football program. Kill will end his career here, I'm confident in that. It's Pitino I'm more worried about. Teague was our best hope for keeping him around for the long haul (assuming he starts having success here). As someone mentioned earlier, Phil Esten would be a good choice.

If he had a U of M phone and that was what he did all this on, that will make this very interesting

I don't see this as a huge setback for the football program. Kill will end his career here, I'm confident in that. It's Pitino I'm more worried about. Teague was our best hope for keeping him around for the long haul (assuming he starts having success here). As someone mentioned earlier, Phil Esten would be a good choice.

Who cares if Pitino leaves? He's proven absolutely nothing! IMO he's incredibly overrated and riding the name! The BS with his Dad planting the Alabama rumor this spring was a joke. $400,000 raise after the legislature is done? Yeah, that went over well! I'll be honest, I'm not sure Teague was long for this job anyway. I believe that he was less than honest with certain coaches, was in over his head with this fundraising project and blew it by not including a track which led to the Title IX lawsuit. I also have it on good authority that he hated winter and was gone as much as possible during the cold months. Yeah - that's what we need in Minnesota. I hope Teague gets help but good riddance. I also hope Pitino follows him out of town!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

As always, we need to hire a step up. Comments about losing Pitino because Teague isnt here, that would only happen if we don't hire a step up in replacement.

As the world turns.

I blame this on Kaler. The guy doesn't know how to ****ing stabilize the Atheletic Department. He is an idiot academic who doesn't give a **** about this school's sports.

If a guy has an alcohol problem, don't hire him. Surely this would come up in a vetting process. This is an embarrassment to the school. Kaler should be ashamed

You want to blame the president for the action's of an employee? Mr. Teague is responsible for his actions (just like all of us are). He is admitting to inappropriately harassing employees. President Kaler should have fired him. Plain and simple. To say otherwise shows you're blinded by sports-goggles.

Who cares if Pitino leaves? He's proven absolutely nothing! IMO he's incredibly overrated and riding the name! The BS with his Dad planting the Alabama rumor this spring was a joke. $400,000 raise after the legislature is done? Yeah, that went over well! I'll be honest, I'm not sure Teague was long for this job anyway. I believe that he was less than honest with certain coaches, was in over his head with this fundraising project and blew it by not including a track which led to the Title IX lawsuit. I also have it on good authority that he hated winter and was gone as much as possible during the cold months. Yeah - that's what we need in Minnesota. I hope Teague gets help but good riddance. I also hope Pitino follows him out of town!

Starting all over again is always the best solution. You have to give Pitino at least another year or two.

Frankly, I could still care less. I think he is a joke. He and his Dad putting his name out there for other jobs? I don't think he really wants to be here. He is in over his head!

Man, every time I think things are really going in the right direction, something just takes us down. I really, really hope this is just a temporary set back. It's really hard not to think the worst will happen (facilities will be put on hold and Kill will leave). Probably a big overreaction by me, but being a MN fan it is hard to not think like that.

If what has been said is true though, good riddance.

Hard to look on the bright side when you haven't seen it in 60 years.

Being an idiot academic is the bad thing. The guy is just out of touch with the student body and the expectations the university should have in athletics. The U has been bad for over a decade in all sports, when we should be realistically contending in the Big 10.. Sure, Minnesota doesn't have the tradition or the infrastructure like the Ohio States and Wisconsins, but that is parshly due to the fact that Kaler has not facilitated our arms race against other programs. Instead, he brought in an AD who sexually harassed school employees.

If GMs in the NFL take the blame for the failures of a coach he hired, then Kaler must be held responsible for Teague and Maturi.

Most big time universities don't deal with Title 9 allegations, ADs resigning in shame.

I could also be biased because for my graduation ceremony in the spring of '13, Kaler had the audacity to be our graduation speaker. Most schools and programs get celebrities, successful alums who have made it outside of academia, but, no, Kaler thinks so highly of himself, and considers so little of his student body, that he found it appropriate to give us a send off. If that isn't a sign of someone out of touch with reality, the only thing that would top that is hiring and trusting a man with a debilitating alcohol problem

So you actually got a degree with your reasoning skills? Damn, my degree just got de-valued.

Given Open Records, the text of the texts will come out. Anyone want to start a "predict the texts" contest?

I hope Norwood at least used the phrase "Wanna see my Gopher" and tried to bring the trophies into the convo. There is a lot of innuendo you can bring with Little Brown Jug, Floyd of Rosedale and the Axe. Even the Five Dollars Bits of Broken Chair has potential.

Too soon?

All the way around, this is just sad. Sad.

For now, I really don't see this as disastrous. This appears to be an isolated incident and not endemic of the AD or University (or even Norwood). The admin & Norwood have handled it appropriately so far.

Yes, except our history would say an over reaction is likely and the next AD will be a woman who insists Football is barbaric and should be ended.

From KSTP: "Kaler said he is working closely with Gopher Athletics to ensure a smooth leadership transition. Beth Goetz, deputy athletics director, has agreed to step in as interim athletics director."

This truly better be nothing more than an interim assignment for Beth Goetz until a new AD is found. Our U of M and the vast majority of her fans do not want another "Chris Volez" or "Maturi" type heading up the department and strategically short changing the men's revenue programs as happened for so many years under previous AD administrations prior to Teague's arrival.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Given Open Records, the text of the texts will come out. Anyone want to start a "predict the texts" contest?

I hope Norwood at least used the phrase "Wanna see my Gopher" and tried to bring the trophies into the convo. There is a lot of innuendo you can bring with Little Brown Jug, Floyd of Rosedale and the Axe. Even the Five Dollars Bits of Broken Chair has potential.

Too soon?

Too soon. And frankly, I personally don't even care what they texts said in the end. It happened, let's move on and start the work of find a new AD who will continue Teague's approach of properly investing fully in the U of M's revenue generating programs, which in turn prop up and support all of the other non-revenue/Title IX men's and women's programs.

I like it....

Per PSU website (I think he'd fit your criteria):

Prior to Cal, Esten served as the President and CEO of the University of Minnesota Alumni Association. Esten previously was an Associate Athletic Director at Minnesota for six years, managing the overall strategic plan for the Golden Gophers' 25-sport program. He also served as the department's point person for the University's new on-campus football stadium, TCF Bank Stadium, which opened in 2009. Esten was instrumental in the stadium fundraising, an effort that included $90 million in individual and corporate support for the stadium, as well as more than $45 million for academic programs and other University initiatives.

Esten also served as the Assistant Director of Athletic Ticketing and Events at Ohio State, where he worked from 1997-2000.

A native of LaCrosse, Wis., Esten earned a bachelor's degree at the University of St. Thomas (Minn.), where he was a baseball student-athlete. Esten earned a master's in sport management at Ohio State and his doctorate in kinesiology from Minnesota, teaching graduate level courses in the kinesiology department as an adjunct professor.

Too soon. And frankly, I personally don't even care what they texts said in the end. It happened, let's move on and start the work of find a new AD who will continue Teague's approach of properly investing fully in the U of M's revenue generating programs, which in turn prop up and support all of the other non-revenue/Title IX men's and women's programs.

I'm interested in your thoughts on how the regulars of Gopherhole can best direct their energies.

From KSTP: "Kaler said he is working closely with Gopher Athletics to ensure a smooth leadership transition. Beth Goetz, deputy athletics director, has agreed to step in as interim athletics director."

This truly better be nothing more than an interim assignment for Beth Goetz until a new AD is found. Our U of M and the vast majority of her fans do not want another "Chris Volez" or "Maturi" type heading up the department and strategically short changing the men's revenue programs as happened for so many years under previous AD administrations prior to Teague's arrival.

Just my two cents on the matter.

How do you know Beth Goetz thinks that way at all? Because she's a woman?

Top Bottom