Northern State defeats Butler

Reserve

Reaction score
Fear the division two team!

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Northern State’s Alex Thomas made his only 3-pointer at the buzzer, beating Butler 53-50 in Wednesday night’s exhibition game.

Butler, the national runner-up each of the past two seasons, shot 32.7 percent from the field and was only 3 of 18 on 3s.

Center Andrew Smith led the Bulldogs with 19 points and eight rebounds. Sophomore forward Khyle Marshall had 14 points and four rebounds. No other Butler players scored in double figures.

Roosevelt Jones’ layup with 4:35 to go gave Butler a 50-41 lead, but the Bulldogs didn’t score again and Thomas capped a game-ending 12-0 run with the winning 3.

Collin Pryor had 18 points and seven rebounds to lead Northern State, a Division II school from South Dakota.

That's a good win for a great program, and a great little basketball town. Paul Sather was hand picked by Don Meyer to take over that program, but he's had a tough go of it so far.

Northern St. would be middle-of-the-pack in the Horizon League.

Duke

I felt pretty bad about our performance Monday but then I see Butler lost and Duke only beat a team called "Shaw" 80 to 66! Hope to see much better perimeter defense and better outside shooting this Monday.

I felt pretty bad about our performance Monday but then I see Butler lost and Duke only beat a team called "Shaw" 80 to 66! Hope to see much better perimeter defense and better outside shooting this Monday.

Shaw would win the ACC.

Just looked up Shaw for the heck of it. Shaw is a private Baptist college - one of the first African American schools in N. Carolina founded in 1865. Go Shaw Bears!

Top Bottom