Non Conference 2021

Who knew that at one point we might worry that Oklahoma needs to schedule tougher non conference foes than ... Nebraska?

Well, a bunch of nonconference games (bowls/playoff) were just played during the height of the pandemic and I didn’t hear of any being superspreader events. Even if the general public and students are not all vaccinated by then, I think the community prevalence will be low enough, combined with the successful testing protocols demonstrated this season, to play nonconf games (without fans, at least).

All of that could be true but there still might not be non-Conference games or fewer of them. The Big 10 (or other conferences) may want to skip them to allow more time to get a full Conference slate (allow for make-ups) or to just get the season over with before another big wave.

Last edited:

Not to derail the thread much but I've known about 20 people in the med field who have gotten the Vax and more than half have gotten super sick with reactions because of it. Nothing to put anyone in the hospital but they're all 30s-40s (not elderly).

I think the Vax still has quite a few kinks to be worked out but I'm far from an expert.
I know a few who've had it (not 20) and they have zero issues other than a sore arm. All the Pfizer vaccine.

It depends on if the mutations are enough the change the virus to the point where there are different receptors. Or something like that.

Not trying to derail the thread. I work for one of the large PBMs doing the LTC vaccinations and we got an update from one of our Medical Directors late last week and they noted that the COVID virus mutates less frequently than the influenza virus, which is really good news. Also the new mRNA technology for both Pfizer and Moderna vaccines allows them to tweak them in a matter of weeks if there are changes in the virus that require a new vaccine. That was a benefit of the mRNA based vaccine over current vaccines. Also really good news.

OU 52, Neb 7. Total score is 59, which is a prime number. So, interesting in that respect.
The dimensions of the monolith in 2001 was the square of the first three integers .... 2 of those are prime numbers.

It's also hinted at that the dimensions of the monolith extend beyond 3 dimensions.. possibly involving Oklahoma... IIRC.

Everything I've read is that the vaccine should be widely distributed around June. Should be plenty of time for September games. Should have 60% of people vaccinated (or already having had Covid) by August.
Worst case scenario would be games with reduced number of fans.
Without getting political. I'm hearing that the Feds kind of goofed up this roll out. Not exactly their fault as it is an art to get these vaccines out due to temperatures and other factors. First time for all this.

The dimensions of the monolith in 2001 was the square of the first three integers .... 2 of those are prime numbers.

It's also hinted at that the dimensions of the monolith extend beyond 3 dimensions.. possibly involving Oklahoma... IIRC.
Stanley Kubrick salutes you!

Not trying to derail the thread. I work for one of the large PBMs doing the LTC vaccinations and we got an update from one of our Medical Directors late last week and they noted that the COVID virus mutates less frequently than the influenza virus, which is really good news. Also the new mRNA technology for both Pfizer and Moderna vaccines allows them to tweak them in a matter of weeks if there are changes in the virus that require a new vaccine. That was a benefit of the mRNA based vaccine over current vaccines. Also really good news.
I assume such tweaks, for new genetic sequences, won't need to undergo new trials. They shouldn't, in my lay person's opinion.

Read this morning that Goldman Sachs is projecting that 50% of Americans will be vaccinated by June 1.

At that level, I would like to hope/think that new sars2 infections can never again rise to a level beyond a "background simmer".

Viruses mutate their genetic sequence. That's a fundamental aspect of what they are. When enough mutations accumulate, then an immune response may no longer prevent a new infection.

But a virus has to be able to infect new people, at some continuous level, to survive.

Which is why targeting the spike protein (as Pfizer and Moderna both did) was particularly clever--any mutation that is significant enough to avoid the polyclonal response to the vaccines is also likely to diminish the ability of the virus to penetrate cells.

Not to derail the thread much but I've known about 20 people in the med field who have gotten the Vax and more than half have gotten super sick with reactions because of it. Nothing to put anyone in the hospital but they're all 30s-40s (not elderly).

I had some moderate arm soreness and fatigue from the first dose (Moderna), but assuming my immune system is working properly, the second should be significantly worse. Still easily worth it.

Which is why targeting the spike protein (as Pfizer and Moderna both did) was particularly clever--any mutation that is significant enough to avoid the polyclonal response to the vaccines is also likely to diminish the ability of the virus to penetrate cells.

I had some moderate arm soreness and fatigue from the first dose (Moderna), but assuming my immune system is working properly, the second should be significantly worse. Still easily worth it.
Yep, a few of the people that said they got sick mentioned it was the second dose not the first dose.

Yep, a few of the people that said they got sick mentioned it was the second dose not the first dose.
Correct. My daughter is a front line physician and just got her second dose Monday. Just sore arm and a little fatigue for her. She said though that quite a few of her coworkers got pretty severe flu like symptoms with 2nd dose thst lasted about 24 hours. That said, she had Covid in November so her body probably had a lot of antibodies already, which may, and I emphasize may, be why her reaction to 2nd dose was minor.

Oh yeah I mean the other folks had no issues whatsoever. Just reporting what I've heard. Nobody wants this thing to work as much as me. I've been working from home since March with a wife and 3 little kids here.

Vaccines are weird.

A few times ago I started responding poorly (nothing serious) to the tetanus shot ... last time I got it it just destroyed me, like a really bad flu for a few days. Was not prepared for that.

But there are so many vaccines given out there are always going to be those situations, just due to the volume. Meanwhile most folks... nothing.

Do you have any new urges to buy Microsoft stock and/or products?

Top Bottom