Non Conference 2021

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Again they go with Nebraska on the list when they have done nothing. Texas and Arkansas, LSU/UCLA? I guess "intriguing" is in the eye of the beholder.

I think Neb is there just for history but ... yeah that game isn't likely to be much of anything.

Do we think non-conference games will happen?

Covid-19. Same reason as 4 months ago.

Unlikely vaccine is widespread enough or herd immunity is achieved.
Everything I've read is that the vaccine should be widely distributed around June. Should be plenty of time for September games. Should have 60% of people vaccinated (or already having had Covid) by August.
Worst case scenario would be games with reduced number of fans.

Everything I've read is that the vaccine should be widely distributed around June. Should be plenty of time for September games. Should have 60% of people vaccinated (or already having had Covid) by August.

Hopefully by that time the high risk folks are covered and we can apply a more 'take your chances' type approach for everyone who hasn't yet been vaccinated.

Again they go with Nebraska on the list when they have done nothing. Texas and Arkansas, LSU/UCLA? I guess "intriguing" is in the eye of the beholder.

Nebraska at OU. That will be a fun to watch, competitive, rivalry game.

Yeah ...

Once we get to the point where every person has "been offered the vaccine, if they want it" and we're not quite at herd immunity levels yet simply because not enough people have elected to take the vaccines, I say open it back up full bore.

They had their chance. It's not our fault they wouldn't take it.

Once we get to the point where every person has "been offered the vaccine, if they want it" and we're not quite at herd immunity levels yet simply because not enough people have elected to take the vaccines, I say open it back up full bore.

Agreed.

We’ll see I guess. How long is the vaccine providing immunity?

I agree, but still may not want to risk overwhelming hospitals. Note, I said "may".

I agree, but still may not want to risk overwhelming hospitals. Note, I said "may".
I would like to think/hope that once we get something like even 30-40% of population vaccinated, that new cases can't surpass a level that's more like a "backburner simmer". Just not enough new people to infect, to make a new surge.

I think maybe the covid vaccine becomes like the flu shot, where people need to get it every year. Maybe they can even figure out a way to bundle it in the same shot???

I had this thought as well. I wonder if covid 19 can be eradicated or if viruses do not work that way. I'm not smart enough to know, honestly.

Well, a bunch of nonconference games (bowls/playoff) were just played during the height of the pandemic and I didn’t hear of any being superspreader events. Even if the general public and students are not all vaccinated by then, I think the community prevalence will be low enough, combined with the successful testing protocols demonstrated this season, to play nonconf games (without fans, at least).

Well, a bunch of nonconference games (bowls/playoff) were just played during the height of the pandemic and I didn’t hear of any being superspreader events. Even if the general public and students are not all vaccinated by then, I think the community prevalence will be low enough, combined with the successful testing protocols demonstrated this season, to play nonconf games (without fans, at least).

Those were also played (mostly) without fans. I hope we are not still without fans

I had this thought as well. I wonder if covid 19 can be eradicated or if viruses do not work that way. I'm not smart enough to know, honestly.
Viruses mutate their genetic sequence. That's a fundamental aspect of what they are. When enough mutations accumulate, then an immune response may no longer prevent a new infection.

But a virus has to be able to infect new people, at some continuous level, to survive.

If you were able to magically vaccinate all people, with a vaccine effective against every current genetic sequence of the virus, it will die out. It wouldn't be able to infect anyone new.

Getting to the point - it comes down to how fast and effectively a virus mutates, to if it can evade eradication.

Okie favored by 21?
At least.

but it’s a renewal of what was at one time a top 7-8 rivalry in college football. It’s on the list because of the big 8

same reason Texas Arkansas is on the list

I think maybe the covid vaccine becomes like the flu shot, where people need to get it every year. Maybe they can even figure out a way to bundle it in the same shot???
It depends on if the mutations are enough the change the virus to the point where there are different receptors. Or something like that.

Not to derail the thread much but I've known about 20 people in the med field who have gotten the Vax and more than half have gotten super sick with reactions because of it. Nothing to put anyone in the hospital but they're all 30s-40s (not elderly).

I think the Vax still has quite a few kinks to be worked out but I'm far from an expert.

Not to derail the thread much but I've known about 20 people in the med field who have gotten the Vax and more than half have gotten super sick with reactions because of it. Nothing to put anyone in the hospital but they're all 30s-40s (not elderly).

I think the Vax still has quite a few kinks to be worked out but I'm far from an expert.
No one can deny your anecdotes, but their experience is far from the norm reported from the phase 3 trials of the vaccines. I've heard most people who get it either have no symptoms at all or have arm soreness at the injection site.

No one can deny your anecdotes, but their experience is far from the norm reported from the phase 3 trials of the vaccines. I've heard most people who get it either have no symptoms at all or have arm soreness at the injection site.
Oh yeah I mean the other folks had no issues whatsoever. Just reporting what I've heard. Nobody wants this thing to work as much as me. I've been working from home since March with a wife and 3 little kids here.

Yeah. I know about 11 people who have gotten it and not a single person has had a single side effect beyond a sore arm at the injection site

Top Bottom