Nolan Brewster

Doc1001

Reaction score
Is he hardly playing or am i missing something? I see some other young guys are starting in the secondary for Texas.

I believe he's a backup for both safeties, and starts special teams. Not sure if he's in on nickel or dime packages.

The kid is playing for a National Championship. He is playing for the school he grew up wanting to play for. There should not be a problem with that.

At this point I would take Kyle Theret's college football career in a flash over his buddy Nolan's career.

Nolan Brewster owes nothing to the University of Minnesota. Just because his dad gets a job here does not mean he is instantly a huge Gopher fan. The kid grew up in Texas, grew up cheering for Texas, it was his dream to play for Texas. If I would have been a good enough player to get a chance to walk-on to the University of Minnesota I would have gladly been a back up for a pair of safeties and play special teams. My personal dream would have been to be a Gopher. The kid is living a dream, why trash him?

I don't think Nolan got one snap, and he should've the way Gideon was playing.

So are the two guys in front of him.

yeah, but the guy said he would take theret's career over nolan's. nolan is a sophomore so why would his career compare to the senior theret?

i am glad that nolan chose to play football where he did.

i certainly do not think that the gophers would be a better team if they had more backups from other teams starting for them.

Should add Nolan might start next year ... Earl Thomas, while being a sophomore, is a third-year sophomore, and is so good, may go pro, paving the way for Brewster to start.

Earl Thomas will go pro. I'm 99% certain. He said that if he were a first rounder he'd have to go. $ is too good.

I don't think Nolan got one snap, and he should've the way Gideon was playing.

He did play special teams and did record a tackle in the game.

On a side note - Gideon intercepted that fake punt pass and got all kinds of congratulations. I'm surprised no one pointed out that by catching the ball he cost Texas about 20 yards. It was fourth down. Bat the ball down - all DBs are taught to do that on 4th down passes - don't intercept it! Not that it would have mattered, but maybe if that drive started at the Alabama 20 yard line instead of the Alabama 37-yard line they get a TD instead of a FG.

At this point I would take Kyle Theret's college football career in a flash over his buddy Nolan's career.

Yeah, I'm sure Nolan is just kicking himself having to be on a team that just played in the national title game at the Rose Bowl. He'll likely start on a team that will be picked to contend again next year. He's playing for his childhood team and lives in one of the top cities in America. Life must suck for him.

Meanwhile, Theret is polishing up his 2nd Insight Bowl ring and will play on a team next year is no sure thing to return to the postseason.

He did play special teams and did record a tackle in the game.

On a side note - Gideon intercepted that fake punt pass and got all kinds of congratulations. I'm surprised no one pointed out that by catching the ball he cost Texas about 20 yards. It was fourth down. Bat the ball down - all DBs are taught to do that on 4th down passes - don't intercept it! Not that it would have mattered, but maybe if that drive started at the Alabama 20 yard line instead of the Alabama 37-yard line they get a TD instead of a FG.

In a round about way, if he bats the ball down maybe they score quicker on the drive and McCoy doesn't get hurt. haha. Back to the subject, I was thinking the exact same thing about the pick!

Geez guys, of course we could have used nolan, but he made the decision get over itt.

I didn't realize ingram was from Michigan. I wonder if the press in that state is giving msu or um crap for letting him leave the state like the gophers always get?

And its a no brained on that fake punt...you intercept the ball! I see the point on a deep pass, but not in that bang bang of a play. Plus I don't think teaching to bat down is the right thing to do..these dbacks have a hard enough time catching the ball the way it is.

i am glad that nolan chose to play football where he did.

i certainly do not think that the gophers would be a better team if they had more backups from other teams starting for them.

This is my nomination for dumbest post of the year. Don't worry though, there's a lot of year left and I'm sure it won't hold up, but wow.

Can't believe people would rag on a kid for choosing to play for Texas.

Can't believe people would rag on a kid for choosing to play for Texas.

I think they're raging is intended more to be a slight on the father rather than the son. It just goes to show you how petty and small they are.

I love the Gophers, but I personally would rather be a backup on a team playing for the national championship than a starter and an average team.

This is my nomination for dumbest post of the year. Don't worry though, there's a lot of year left and I'm sure it won't hold up, but wow.

why is that exactly?

because i AM GLAD that he chose to play for his dream team?

or is it because i don't think that the gophers would be a better team with him?

why is that exactly?

because i AM GLAD that he chose to play for his dream team?

or is it because i don't think that the gophers would be a better team with him?

The latter. It's not like he's a backup at wisconsin or something, he's the 3rd best safety on the #2 team in the country.

It appears that some of you guys would prefer to be a role player on the No. 2 football team in the country rather than a four year starter for a Big 10 second division team. It is your choice to make - but it is kind of pathetic. What it tells me is that in high school you probably never experienced what it is like to be on the field during the 4th quarter of close, hard fought game.

It appears that some of you guys would prefer to be a role player on the No. 2 football team in the country rather than a four year starter for a Big 10 second division team. It is your choice to make - but it is kind of pathetic. What it tells me is that in high school you probably never experienced what it is like to be on the field during the 4th quarter of close, hard fought game.

Agreed. I can see why a kid would want to go to a big time school if they feel they are good enough to be a major factor there. The key is to find the most "big time" school that you feel you can contribute at. I'd much rather start for a second tier team than ride the pine to a national championship. How much ownership can you really take in it if you don't see the field?

What it tells me is that in high school you probably never experienced what it is like to be on the field during the 4th quarter of close, hard fought game.

I'm sure when the 2009 Gophers are grandparents, they'll be bouncing their grandkids on their knees describing the thrill of playing in the fourth quarter of a close, hard fought game against South Dakota State. Nolan Brewster can only talk about playing special teams in a national championship game in front of 94,906 fans.

I'd much rather start for a second tier team than ride the pine to a national championship. How much ownership can you really take in it if you don't see the field?

HE'S A FREAKIN' SOPHOMORE!!!!!!!!!

I think Nolan made a fine choice. If he were at the U of M he probably starts every game, but at Texas he gets to watch two excellent safeties while playing in every game. How many kids can say they did not red-shirt, played four years, and possibly played every game at Texas? He will possibly start the next two years and get drafted in the first five rounds of the NFL.

Second-year safety who has appeared in 26 games on special teams and as a safety ... has 31 tackles, an INT, two TFL, a pressure and two PBU for his career ... appeared in 13 games at safety and on special teams in 2009 ... recorded 23 tackles, two TFL, an INT, a pressure and a PBU ... appeared in all 13 games as a true freshman, primarily on special teams ... also saw action at safety ... recorded eight tackles and a PBU ... a prep All-American who played safety, cornerback, linebacker, running back and wide receiver as a prepster ... a member of ESPN's top 150 prospects ... a two-sport letterman as a prepster ... father, Tim, was an assistant coach on Mack Brown's staff from 1989-2001 and now is the head coach at Minnesota ... a member of UT's Athletics Director's Honor Roll (Spring 2009).

SOPHOMORE (2009)
Appeared in 13 games at safety and on special teams ... helped UT rank eighth nationally in scoring defense (15.2 ppg), third in total defense (251.1 ypg), first in rushing defense (62.2 ypg), 11th in pass efficiency defense (101.3 rating) and 23rd in pass defense (188.9 ypg) ... UT also ranked first nationally in INTs (24) and second in forced turnovers (35) ... posted 23 tackles, two TFL, an INT, a pressure and a PBU ... posted his first career INT in the third quarter against ULM ... registered three tackles against Wyoming ... notched two tackles and a PBU versus Texas Tech ... tallied two tackles and a TFL against UTEP ... registered two tackles versus Colorado ... notched four tackles at Missouri ... recorded a career-high five tackles and added a pressure at Oklahoma State ... registered two tackles against Kansas ... notched a tackle at Texas A&M ... registered a TFL in the Big 12 Championship against No. 21 Nebraska.

FRESHMAN (2008)
Appeared in all 13 games as a true freshman, primarily on special teams ... also saw action at safety ... recorded eight tackles and a PBU ... tallied six special-teams tackles ... notched a tackle and a PBU at UTEP ... posted a tackle against Arkansas ... recorded two tackles at Colorado ... tallied a tackle versus No. 1 Oklahoma ... added a tackle against Baylor ... notched a tackle at Kansas ... registered a special teams tackle in the Fiesta Bowl against No. 10 Ohio State.

Top Bottom