Noah Shannon officially done

mggoph

Section 112, Row 1
Reaction score

Hope he sues the NCAA. Would be very interested in seeing how that plays out

Arbitrary decision, no crime committed, direct injury caused by dropping of draft status costing money?

Get a friendly Iowa judge, see what happens.

F the NCAA

Arbitrary decision, no crime committed, direct injury caused by dropping of draft status costing money?
I'm not certain, but I'd have to assume that when you sign your scholarship that there's something in there about not betting on games. If so, then the breach of contract would super cede anything you listed above.

I'm not certain, but I'd have to assume that when you sign your scholarship that there's something in there about not betting on games. If so, then the breach of contract would super cede anything you listed above.
Betting on games you participate in is illegal in Iowa and the NCAA would have an obvious incentive to make sure the games seem like there’s no funny business.

Everyone’s motivation and incentives seem legitimate.

It's unclear to me exactly what Shannon did, but if I had to guess, he placed bets for others who were underage. He didn't seem to think he was being treated unfairly as of a few days ago according to the quote below. Does anyone know exactly why he was suspended?

Iowa defensive end Noah Shannon was not charged as part of the investigation, but admitted to being involved in betting. He faces a year-long suspension from the NCAA despite cooperating with the organization. Iowa has appealed the ruling.

“They’re taking their time doing their investigation, and I can’t be mad at them for that,” he said, per the Associated Press. “I mean, I broke a rule. I owned up to it.”

Of all the indiscretionary acts that an NCAA athlete can be accused of [drugs (pot), assault (sexual or otherwise), cheating in the classroom, etc.] - it seems to me that connections with any aspect of gambling will bring the hammer down the fastest and is met with zero tolerance.

Of all the indiscretionary acts that an NCAA athlete can be accused of [drugs (pot), assault (sexual or otherwise), cheating in the classroom, etc.] - it seems to me that connections with any aspect of gambling will bring the hammer down the fastest and is met with zero tolerance.
I would suspect so because it damages the integrity of the game.

It's unclear to me exactly what Shannon did, but if I had to guess, he placed bets for others who were underage. He didn't seem to think he was being treated unfairly as of a few days ago according to the quote below. Does anyone know exactly why he was suspended?

Iowa defensive end Noah Shannon was not charged as part of the investigation, but admitted to being involved in betting. He faces a year-long suspension from the NCAA despite cooperating with the organization. Iowa has appealed the ruling.

“They’re taking their time doing their investigation, and I can’t be mad at them for that,” he said, per the Associated Press. “I mean, I broke a rule. I owned up to it.”

He bet on an Iowa women's NCAA tournament game last March.

The crazy part is how all of the Iowa/Iowa State betting investigation started. A mother of an Iowa baseball player noticed bets being placed on her phone last spring that she wasn't making. She contacted the police thinking her phone had been hacked. Only later she found it that her son was the person making the bets. But by that time it was too late. The investigation had already started.

He bet on an Iowa women's NCAA tournament game last March.

The crazy part is how all of the Iowa/Iowa State betting investigation started. A mother of an Iowa baseball player noticed bets being placed on her phone last spring that she wasn't making. She contacted the police thinking her phone had been hacked. Only later she found it that her son was the person making the bets. But by that time it was too late. The investigation had already started.
College kid stole their mom’s credentials to place bets … weird…

Well yeah, he’s cordial in the quote a few days ago because he was probably expecting a suspension of some number of games.

Not the entire season, ending his career.

For a victimless act, for which he was not charged with a crime in Iowa.

How absurd.

I could easily see suspended for even the first half of the season. The entire thing?? Try to get a lawyer and slam their asses.

F the NCAA

Well yeah, he’s cordial in the quote a few days ago because he was probably expecting a suspension of some number of games.

How absurd.

I could easily see suspended for even the first half of the season. The entire thing?? Try to get a lawyer and slam their asses.

F the NCAA
It doesn’t feel like you know the difference between criminal and illegal.

I dislike the NCAA as much as the next guy but these players knowingly broke the rules and tried to hide it. I’d have sympathy if they fell into a bad circumstance but they sought out these activities.

“You knew that we had a law against jaywalking. You did it anyway, to satisfy your own convenience. And you tired to hide it. How dare you! I would have sympathy for you if you had somewhere important to be, but clearly you’re just lazy.

Therefore, justice requires that we sentence you to death!”

Yep

“You knew that we had a law against jaywalking. You did it anyway, to satisfy your own convenience. And you tired to hide it. How dare you! I would have sympathy for you if you had somewhere important to be, but clearly you’re just lazy.

Yep
Okaaaaay then.

I think you're overlooking an obvious difference. Any athlete gambling knows in advance they can be suspended. As for jaywalking, everyone knows the penalty is no where near what you're suggesting.

We get it - you don't like the NCAA. But you don't have to make up ridiculous crap to illustrate your feelings.

How absurd.

F the NCAA
Answer "yes" or "no": did he engage in behavior he said (via his signed scholarship) that he wouldn't engage in?

If you're just gonna write back b*tching about the NCAA, do the board a favor and don't.

Okaaaaay then.

I think you're overlooking an obvious difference. Any athlete gambling knows in advance they can be suspended. As for jaywalking, everyone knows the penalty is no where near what you're suggesting.

We get it - you don't like the NCAA. But you don't have to make up ridiculous crap to illustrate your feelings.
It's why he has at least 2 usernames and is banned at least once a year.

It's why he has at least 2 usernames and is banned at least once a year.
It does make my wonder why they ban him/her but then let that person just post again with like a one-letter change in the username?

I mean sure, if someone's going to create a brand-new username, there's not much you can do about that.

Yep
Who tries to hide walking across a street in the middle of the block?

It does make my wonder why they ban him/her but then let that person just post again with like a one-letter change in the username?

I mean sure, if someone's going to create a brand-new username, there's not much you can do about that.
Ban the IP. That is what most sites do. But in this case they removed the ban. I know because I'm still ignoring him.

Okaaaaay then.

You don’t understand man!!

Not to mention that all of these power five programs have seminars on the dos and don’ts of college athletics, including gambling, performance enhancing drugs and recreational drug use, among other issues. I’m betting that all athletes have to sign off that they are aware of these issues and promise to abide by the rules.

Top Bottom