No Thread on the Spring Game?

Are we sure the poster wasn't talking about presumable starter Dylan Wright? (#5)

I didn't even know we had a Larry Wright. (#15)

Heard they are brothers.

Joking, but I was the same. I didn't know about him until his first catch. Had a hell of a juke on his touchdown. Sure looked the part. Big dude too. Hopefully have him come out of nowhere, combined with CAB, Dylan, Daniel Jackson would almost be as imposing as the defense.

Larry Wright had 4 catches for 55 yards and a TD.

This is all you needed to post.

Never heard of him. He's been on the team for three years, and hasn't seen a single game rep.

Guys can "figure it out" and come from nowhere, but it doesn't often happen. Until proven otherwise, I'm chalking this up to "it's spring".

Good for him! Keep grinding!

-Agree many starters were held out or played very sparingly. For obvious reasons.

-Agree about Evans. Dynamic. Multifaceted. Will be a receiving threat out of the backfield - a real natural there. ...Of course, Ky possessed the receiving talent of most WR's - we just hadn't gotten around to exploiting it yet. So maybe we broke even on that front?

-Agree that passing was emphasized.

-Agree that Athan's arm talent is plainly evident. It's beyond dispute. His "upside" as a QB is higher than anything we've seen.

-DL depth appears stronger than OL depth: when you divide the OL evenly into two squads, there are vulnerabilities that arise, but the DL when divided evenly into a pair of squads can still get after it!

-Surprised you didn't mention Michael Brown-Stephens. Appeared to be MUCH more complete as a receiver yesterday. To my eyes, you couldn't help but notice him.

-Larry Wright. Looks like he's put in a metric ton of work. He stood out.
Huh? I’ve never heard this take. Didn’t think his receiving skills stood out from any of our other rbs. I think if anyone stood out as a receiver it was Irving.

Huh? I’ve never heard this take. Didn’t think his receiving skills stood out from any of our other rbs. I think if anyone stood out as a receiver it was Irving.
Yeah - watch his high school film. He's amazing downfield. Literally like a WR. Fleck has mentioned this more than once about Ky during his interviews with the press. ...I think they just hadn't gotten to exploiting it. (Gotta get through basics first: pass protection, recognizing blitz schemes, and so on - things that let him participate every down in a productive way.)

some additional thoughts:

by nature of the game, dividing the team into two groups means you are not looking at a 'complete' lineup on either side. add that to the players held out or seeing limited play, and this amounted to a scrimmage for the non-starters. this especially impacts OL play, because that is more dependent on cohesion.

Also, with the lack of depth at RB (due to guys being held out), neither team ran the ball much. It was interesting to see MBS being used on runs from scrimmage. Is that a new wrinkle in the offense, or was it done just for the Spring game due to lack of RB's? Either way, looks like MBS could be in on more action this year. I hope that is a Kirk C. addition - get playmakers the ball in a position where they can make plays.

I am encouraged about the secondary with the additions of Beanie and Stapp.

and let's give Cole Kramer some kudos. He throws a decent ball and he's mobile. If Morgan could not play for any reason, I think the Gophers could get by just fine with Kramer at QB.

some additional thoughts:

by nature of the game, dividing the team into two groups means you are not looking at a 'complete' lineup on either side. add that to the players held out or seeing limited play, and this amounted to a scrimmage for the non-starters. this especially impacts OL play, because that is more dependent on cohesion.

Also, with the lack of depth at RB (due to guys being held out), neither team ran the ball much. It was interesting to see MBS being used on runs from scrimmage. Is that a new wrinkle in the offense, or was it done just for the Spring game due to lack of RB's? Either way, looks like MBS could be in on more action this year. I hope that is a Kirk C. addition - get playmakers the ball in a position where they can make plays.

I am encouraged about the secondary with the additions of Beanie and Stapp.

and let's give Cole Kramer some kudos. He throws a decent ball and he's mobile. If Morgan could not play for any reason, I think the Gophers could get by just fine with Kramer at QB.
I like your Cole Kramer reference. He did look good. Nice to see he has the potential to not only be a "running QB' in the wildcat situation. He did throw a touchdown last year in the wildcat I think, but to be able to run a complete offense for multiple drives or games is awesome. Would be great to see him do that.

6 Takeaways from the Spring Game

The St Paul paper...Andy Greder provided some nice insight.
He saw Athan as the number two QB. He had flashes but was 10 for 22.
Kramer was 9 for 19 and Tanner 1 for 4. So, nobody lit it up.

Mike Brown Stephens, spring game MVP and wide receiver recruit Anthony Brown are brothers.

Is there any
6 Takeaways from the Spring Game

The St Paul paper...Andy Greder provided some nice insight.
He saw Athan as the number two QB. He had flashes but was 10 for 22.
Kramer was 9 for 19 and Tanner 1 for 4. So, nobody lit it up.

Mike Brown Stephens, spring game MVP and wide receiver recruit Anthony Brown are brothers.
I guess it's going to take some time to shake off the Sanford rust.

I put his roster number, meaning I already looked it up.

That doesn't answer my question.
The player you seem to be overlooking would be #1 in maroon, Ike "ike" White. The Gophers receiving corps has 2 Wrights and a White.

Top Bottom