No Thread on the Spring Game?

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Announcers did a poor job of identifying QBs early on, but Kramer looked to be #2, Kaliakmanis #3 (though he may have the best arm of any of them); lots of passing but not a lot of consistent drives via the pass; running game not consistent with two backs out, though Evans looked good - obvious we needed Thomas and Irving, the two who jumped ship - and what was that all about, anyway? Defense looked good, kicking field goals good. I appreciated that it was a real game, not offense vs, defense all afternoon, and not a controlled scrimmage. Didn't see enough of Morgan to have an opinion. Would love to see the stats for runners and QBs (some of which was on the screen - looked like Kramer had the highest completion percentage). Have to be worried about having one returner in the offensive line. Coach looked a bit like a chipmunk with those facial fillers. Should have left well enough alone - he's still a young guy.

Anyone see the halftime show?
The young buck started out shaky but kept rowing the boat to finish his song.
Kudos to him for having the courage to sing and play piano with the Big 10 Network showing it across the country. If your going to do something do it B1G!!!

There seems to be so very little content on this board. I figured there would be a 2-3 page thread for the Spring Game.

Anyone see the halftime show?
The young buck started out shaky but kept rowing the boat to finish his song.
Kudos to him for having the courage to sing and play piano with the Big 10 Network showing it across the country. If your going to do something do it B1G!!!
That's a good line. Maybe it's well know but not to me.

There seems to be so very little content on this board. I figured there would be a 2-3 page thread for the Spring Game.
Honestly, there just wasn't much to report. The camera angles sucked, many players were held out, and the public couldn't attend. The talent was also pretty evenly split across the teams making it a grind-it-out affair that probably provided a lot of good film for the coaches, but not a ton of excitement. The pros like Burns, House, et al will probably have some content today and in coming days breaking it down, so hopefully some of that gets posted. Nothing jumped out at me personally except for things we sort of already knew:
  • Athan is extremely talented and passes every "eye test" you want from a QB. He was throwing darts out there on difficult routes like deep crossers and outs. The arm talent is real.
  • Frosh RB Evans looks so dynamic as reported by everyone in spring practice. Seems to be a real gem.
  • Dylan Wright looking to be much more involved this year. They worked hard to get him balls yesterday.
  • Staff obviously emphasized the passing game this spring as it was a real aerial affair yesterday. RPO and play action game looked like 2019 which was cool to see.
  • Beanie Bishop looks like a monster signing out of the portal at CB. Stapp flashed a couple times as well and drew rave reviews in spring, so kudos to the staff for landing those two.

I thought the dline was going to be a potential area of concern (outside of Carter) but boy some of those younger guys looked good. Eastern made plays, Booker is the real deal I think…he was all over the place. Jah Joyner continues to improve by the looks of it. Schuster seemed stout. Future looks bright there.

Or maybe we should be concerned about the Oline? Of course JMS didn’t play and we have Ruschmeyer who played a lot. Fiaglia is a big dude and held his own. Will be interesting to see what Quinn does when he arrives. I really thought they would be fine there, but maybe not? Or the dline talent is really that good, we will find out! If it is this team can for sure contend for the West.

Athan looks legit, he got completely rattled after that pick though and fell apart, he’s going to have to learn how to shake that off. Kramer had his moments too. I think the QB room is going to be just fine.

Freshman Evans…wow he’s going to be good!

I thought the dline was going to be a potential area of concern (outside of Carter) but boy some of those younger guys looked good. Eastern made plays, Booker is the real deal I think…he was all over the place. Jah Joyner continues to improve by the looks of it. Schuster seemed stout. Future looks bright there.

Or maybe we should be concerned about the Oline? Of course JMS didn’t play and we have Ruschmeyer who played a lot. Fiaglia is a big dude and held his own. Will be interesting to see what Quinn does when he arrives. I really thought they would be fine there, but maybe not? Or the dline talent is really that good, we will find out! If it is this team can for sure contend for the West.

Athan looks legit, he got completely rattled after that pick though and fell apart, he’s going to have to learn how to shake that off. Kramer had his moments too. I think the QB room is going to be just fine.

Freshman Evans…wow he’s going to be good!

Given the fact that JMS and Guedet didn't play and Quinn isn't here yet, I wouldn't worry too much about the OL at this point. They also were blowing the whistle extremely quickly on "sacks" and QB scrambles.

I only was able to see about half of the game. Local walk-on WR, 6’4” Larry Wright looked quite good. Had a TD catch and a few good out routes. Possibly a contributor this year?
Agreed, Ike White looked good too at WR.

The only “conclusion” I could draw was that I’m excited about Beanie Bishop.

Really hard to know/ see much otherwise.

Honestly, there just wasn't much to report. The camera angles sucked, many players were held out, and the public couldn't attend. The talent was also pretty evenly split across the teams making it a grind-it-out affair that probably provided a lot of good film for the coaches, but not a ton of excitement. The pros like Burns, House, et al will probably have some content today and in coming days breaking it down, so hopefully some of that gets posted. Nothing jumped out at me personally except for things we sort of already knew:
  • Athan is extremely talented and passes every "eye test" you want from a QB. He was throwing darts out there on difficult routes like deep crossers and outs. The arm talent is real.
  • Frosh RB Evans looks so dynamic as reported by everyone in spring practice. Seems to be a real gem.
  • Dylan Wright looking to be much more involved this year. They worked hard to get him balls yesterday.
  • Staff obviously emphasized the passing game this spring as it was a real aerial affair yesterday. RPO and play action game looked like 2019 which was cool to see.
  • Beanie Bishop looks like a monster signing out of the portal at CB. Stapp flashed a couple times as well and drew rave reviews in spring, so kudos to the staff for landing those two.
-Agree many starters were held out or played very sparingly. For obvious reasons.

-Agree about Evans. Dynamic. Multifaceted. Will be a receiving threat out of the backfield - a real natural there. ...Of course, Ky possessed the receiving talent of most WR's - we just hadn't gotten around to exploiting it yet. So maybe we broke even on that front?

-Agree that passing was emphasized.

-Agree that Athan's arm talent is plainly evident. It's beyond dispute. His "upside" as a QB is higher than anything we've seen.

-DL depth appears stronger than OL depth: when you divide the OL evenly into two squads, there are vulnerabilities that arise, but the DL when divided evenly into a pair of squads can still get after it!

-Surprised you didn't mention Michael Brown-Stephens. Appeared to be MUCH more complete as a receiver yesterday. To my eyes, you couldn't help but notice him.

-Larry Wright. Looks like he's put in a metric ton of work. He stood out.

All indications are the Gophers' RPO is back! I hope to see a 60/40 to 40/60 split depending on the opponent.

There is no doubt that the Gophers have offensive weapons and deep stingy defense. The question mark is whether the Offensive line will be in sync in time for Big Ten play.

Agree with MG, the camera work and angles stunk. They sucked. That said, Dylan Wright is a man amongst boys. Need him to be great. Athan has the bus factor. Saw some nice PBUs for Bishop and Stapp. I’ve only watched about half so far. I was curious to see the polish hussar Maverick Baranowski but not sure he played. Coach Frodo looking good. I personally come away from most every spring game pretty excited and no different here, reasons to be optimistic could be a good or great team if a few positions turn out.

I mean .... spring is spring.

You can "win" spring, and be the "starter" for spring. And that's great. But it's just not the same. Captain obvious, here.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade or dismiss anyone, I just think each spring is always missing guys/important guys held out or guys not here yet that are going to make an impact the next season, etc.

It's mostly a developmental time, great for younger and bench guys to step up and get a shot, learn the systems, and so on.

Fall camp is where it's at. For me, at least.

Was it a guy who was wearing a jersey that said "Wright" on the back?

I guess the question is if there was a 1 in front of the 5, or not.
Did you watch the game? Larry Wright had 4 catches for 55 yards and a TD.

Top Bottom