NO SPRING GAME! Gophers start spring practice March 21; open practice for the public is April 11

Sorry for this but it is show business which grows on buzz and hoopla and discussion. Limiting buzz, hoopla, exposure, discussion, speculation, exposure to new player talent and physicality seems questionable but I suppose PJ has his reasons. Limited BTN 2 second practice cuts won’t be satisfying.

Do you know for a fact that we are the ONLY power 5 team that chooses not to have a public spring game? Willing to bet there are others. Spring "games" are just glorified practices and as far as being a middle finger to fans.....get over yourself.

They are doing a fan event in the fall instead.
It's just not a big deal these days, I like a fall thing better anyway.

Note how "traditional" got inserted here, when I never said any such thing.

Which other Big Ten programs cancelled any form of open to the public, in the stadium, spring football event for fans, before they even held their first spring practice??

Pathetic
Wisconsin isn't having a spring game or event at all this year. They are doing a fall event like MN is.

Either way, who cares? I'd rather have a fall event over a spring one anyways.

Wisconsin isn't having a spring game or event at all this year.
:rolleyes: Because of construction at the stadium.

Not because they chose not to. Come on. You’re better than trying to pull dishonest crap like that.

Either way, who cares?
If it’s no big deal, then why has it always been done?

Let’s ask fans at successful programs if they enjoy their team’s spring stadium events?

So in other words, it’s justified for you because …. we aren’t a successful program.

Not because they chose not to. Come on. You’re better than trying to pull dishonest crap like that.

Let’s ask fans at successful programs if they enjoy their team’s spring stadium events?

So in other words, it’s justified for you because …. we aren’t a successful program.
Goalposts moved again!! We have gone from "all other P5 teams are having spring games" to "it's better (in the opinion of MplsGopher) to have one than not have one." Which is what you should have said in the first place.

You asked for an example, I gave you one. It was the first and only other program I looked at.

It's always been done because it's always been done. It's not about success, it's about fan participation. Programs like Nebraska, Michigan, and Ohio St will certainly keep doing it because they fill their stadiums for it. Of course fans of those programs are going to want it and enjoy it. MN is never going to be like those programs when it comes to fan participation.

Going to a spring game when it's an almost empty stadium is not enjoyable IMO. I personally would rather have the open spring practice and fall event over just a spring game with 10K fans in the stands. Some might disagree and that's fine but acting like it's some kind of travesty they aren't having the game is a bit over the top. Changes are inevitable.

I personally could not care less about the spring football game. And I am a huge Gopher fan. The average fan wouldn't be able to tell you if we had one last year or not. I don't care who the coach is or what his reasons are. This is just another thing for people to get worked up about and act outraged. Honestly - Who cares?
Agreed. No matter if it is called a scrimmage or a Spring Game, it's still practice.

Practice. We're talking about practice.

I think a fall event where they invite another institution of higher learning to visit and then play some sort of contest where either Minnesota or this other school wins the contest based on some sort of agreed upon points system might draw a fair amount of fans to the stadium.

Agreed. No matter if it is called a scrimmage or a Spring Game, it's still practice.
No one cares about that part, was never the issue.

Spring games haven't been "real games" for a while, and that never mattered.

A fan-centric event, in the stadium, open to the public. Lame and pathetic to cancel it and rip the rug out from under fans. Not really a surprise when Fleck is your coach

They're having a game, it just won't be open to the public which sucks. Word on the street is that they feel really good about what they have and don't want to show the public just yet.
Which street was that? My street says exactly the opposite. Not enough QBto take any chance of non-contact injury.

A fan-centric event, in the stadium, open to the public. Lame and pathetic to cancel it and rip the rug out from under fans. Not really a surprise when Fleck is your coach
Please don't mistake me for someone who cares one way or another.

Whatever rows yer boat.

Which street was that? My street says exactly the opposite. Not enough QBto take any chance of non-contact injury.
Hey man, I'm just telling you how the Coaches feel based off an inside source. Take it for what it's worth, doesn't bother me one bit. I'll see for myself come April 11th.

I am old enough to remember when we had 6 open spring practices and a spring game.

One open practice plus the availability of a second one if you choose to join up and qualify, plus no spring game doesn't seem like progress? Doesn't seem fan friendly? Just seems like PJ playing scared...don't steal my innovative plays...if the fans are there the guys will play too hard and somebody might get hurt....we'll play it safe...run the clock out.

You wouldn’t have posted
Your reading comprehension is incredibly poor and again you jumped to a wrong conclusion.

My post in this thread was agreeing with someone who was indifferent. Yet, somehow this means "I care" in your mind. Really bizarre.

"Rip the rug out from under fans." Yeah, most Gopher fans I know feel just totally betrayed and hurt. The emotional trauma from this is going to last forever. I had to go and get a therapist already, and apparently there is talk of creating special support groups to deal with this thing. I am sorry to be such a "all hope is lost" kind of guy. But no spring game? How much more can I take? I am truly not sure that I can function in society at this point. Coach Fleck, why oh why have you done this to me?

"Rip the rug out from under fans." Yeah, most Gopher fans I know feel just totally betrayed and hurt. The emotional trauma from this is going to last forever. I had to go and get a therapist already, and apparently there is talk of creating special support groups to deal with this thing. I am sorry to be such a "all hope is lost" kind of guy. But no spring game? How much more can I take? I am truly not sure that I can function in society at this point. Coach Fleck, why oh why have you done this to me?
The all or nothing is so blatantly fake and trolling.

There is absolutely plenty of room to rip a piss-poor decision on a thing that doesn’t matter a ton, while still appreciating other aspects.

Fake all or nothing is fake.

PJ is dumb. Another example. He cares not about the fans. Employs a terrible to watch O and feels fine about kicking the fans in the nuts on the spring game every year.

So watching the team is "terrible" and you're disappointed that you can't watch them practice? Got it.

The all or nothing is so blatantly fake and trolling.

There is absolutely plenty of room to rip a piss-poor decision on a thing that doesn’t matter a ton, while still appreciating other aspects.

Fake all or nothing is fake.
You use the same circular, bizarre logic as my teenage daughter.

If we went into a pizza place, and I ordered pepperoni instead of plain cheese, and she wanted plain cheese, she might say "you ripped the rug out from under me." Then when I poked fun at her for being melodramatic, she might get mad and say... "you always make a big deal out of everything." That...despite the fact hat she just described a pizza choice as a major event and an important failed decision.

But I will give her a pass. A pizza choice is much more important in my book than whether we have a spring game.

I really hope the lack of a Spring game is because of roster depth issues and not some sort of paranoia on PJ's part. I have heard speculation elswhere that PJ is either concerned with other teams being able to see what we run OR other teams being able to see our players and poach them after they perform well in the Spring game.

We've had to move planned Spring game's indoors the past few years due to weather, so I am not sure not having one is that big of a deal. It would be different if we had one every year and got 10-20K in the stands. Of course it's tough to build that type of tradition if you don't keep having the event.
Our roster depth makes injuries to key personnel in a spring game very problematic. That could be a big part of the decision. Couldn't let Brosmer or Linderberg play; maybe others.

Fear of tampering/poaching after a player's having an especially good spring game performance is now an issue, too, I suspect. Spring transfer portal window is April 15-30. We are, for better or worse, not a transfer portal "predator." Don't have enough NIL to bid in top-player auctions. We're not exactly "prey" either. It looks like the Gophs are using NIL to preserve roster talent and fend off predators. But why tempt fate in this uncontrolled free-agency environment?

I suspect these are bigger considerations than not letting other teams see us running some plays.

Last edited:

Collusion to limit transfers to a few multi-week periods per year seems like a clear-cut violation of the Sherman Anti-trust Act of 1890. As Justice Kavanaugh wisely observed no other workplace in America would tolerate such anticompetitve behavior.

So watching the team is "terrible" and you're disappointed that you can't watch them practice? Got it.
I suppose PJ could screw up a spring game, but historically it’s a wonderful chance to see the young kids play — pre PJ it was a highlight of the year. But yes, I think it’s pretty clear that our O on game day sucked.

You use the same circular, bizarre logic as my teenage daughter.

If we went into a pizza place, and I ordered pepperoni instead of plain cheese, and she wanted plain cheese, she might say "you ripped the rug out from under me." Then when I poked fun at her for being melodramatic, she might get mad and say... "you always make a big deal out of everything." That...despite the fact hat she just described a pizza choice as a major event and an important failed decision.

But I will give her a pass. A pizza choice is much more important in my book than whether we have a spring game.
If I had to eat a pizza with black olives, I admit my reaction would likely be close to your daughters.

Way more traumatic than no Spring Game.

Pepperoni, not my first choice, but I can roll with it.

not having a spring game is over-hyped. if ya gotta go, join DTA and get the practice invite. have them boys ready to compete aug 29 on national TV is what i care about.

Nebraska draws 85,000 to its Spring Game, while we don't have one. The Spring Game was always a tonic for the most dedicated fans, but fans are becoming less important as revenues from TV contracts grow faster than ticket sales. Only Lou Holtz made a big deal out of Spring Games, pulling 40,000 for one. PJ shows little interest, as has been pointed out.

Top Bottom