No Sitting Out for Transfers

Meaning, they didn't have a prayer of winning the lawsuit.
What is the legal basis for preventing a player from playing for two different schools in the same season?? Say transfer between the fall and spring semesters in basketball, over the winter break??

I do t think there is one.

Sue them!!

It will be a matter of time before a player will sue (and win) to transfer in the middle of a season and be immediately eligible.
Xerxes beat me to it.

There is literally no NCAA rule that has a firm footing in an actual legal basis

Here is no longer a point for the NCAA to exist

What is the legal basis for preventing a player from playing for two different schools in the same season?? Say transfer between the fall and spring semesters in basketball, over the winter break??

I do t think there is one.

Sue them!!
I would think that the NCAA could have a rule that you can't play for more than one team in a season. That is different than making people sit out a whole new season.

I would think that the NCAA could have a rule that you can't play for more than one team in a season. That is different than making people sit out a whole new season.
If it’s an antitrust violation to violate a players NIL rights by making them sit out a season for transferring inbetween seasons …. how is it not exactly the same antitrust violation using exactly the same logic to make them sit out the 2nd half of a season for transferring inbetween halves of a season???

Wouldn't enrollment issues from the academic aspect of college prevent someone from playing on two teams in one season? Or am I using too much logic here.
-Enrollment issues may come in fall or spring sports.

But not in winter sports that cross semesters.

-Enrollment issues may come in fall or spring sports.

But not in winter sports that cross semesters.
If they are serious about making progress toward a degree, it could make a difference, especially in upper classmen. My guess is they figure out a way to slip around that as well.

I still like my idea....

5 years of college eligibility - no redshirts (unless medically).
- You can transfer at any semester break and gain immediate eligibility.
- Each transfer costs you one year of college eligibility.
- Grad transfers get a free transfer and can retain all 5 years of their initial eligibility

If it’s an antitrust violation to violate a players NIL rights by making them sit out a season for transferring inbetween seasons …. how is it not exactly the same antitrust violation using exactly the same logic to make them sit out the 2nd half of a season for transferring inbetween halves of a season???

Rules around when a student may enroll and be considered a “student” could apply; rules around late or early enrollment, end and beginning of terms. Not sure. But yes, if Justice Kavanaugh is correct then without possibly arbitrary “because I said so” league-wide CBA protections from the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1892 it seems like players really could transfer during, say, the playoff or bowl season. Perhaps even those enrollment rules could be found to violate a player’s right to earn NIL money.

Then, eligibility rules come into question, the five to play four. Whether athletes can be considered employees. As someone mentioned when the NCAA abandoned protecting amateur athlete status, SOME individuals in the courts prioritize individual commerce and income over league pro-competitive rules (as we see here) the real world of hungry attorneys and legal challenges comes at you fast.

Immediate eligibility for transfers has been far and away the worst part of all the insanity in college athletics.

At least when guys had to sit out a year there was an incentive for them to stick it out at the school they committed to.

If I was a helmet school I would barely even bother to recruit high school players anymore.....as long as nobody seems interested in enforcing any sort of tampering rules just go shopping in the off season for a new batch of players.

Immediate eligibility for transfers has been far and away the worst part of all the insanity in college athletics.

At least when guys had to sit out a year there was an incentive for them to stick it out at the school they committed to.

If I was a helmet school I would barely even bother to recruit high school players anymore.....as long as nobody seems interested in enforcing any sort of tampering rules just go shopping in the off season for a new batch of players.

The bottom of FBS and all of FCS will be like what AAA baseball is...farm teams to the Helmet Schools.

The difference is; the Helmet schools pay nothing for developing their talent.

I still like my idea....

5 years of college eligibility - no redshirts (unless medically).
- You can transfer at any semester break and gain immediate eligibility.
- Each transfer costs you one year of college eligibility.
- Grad transfers get a free transfer and can retain all 5 years of their initial eligibility
This and a number of other proposals are all great on paper.

What law would give the NCAA the authority to implement such rules??

I don’t think the NCAA has a legal basis to exist anymore, as a rule enforcement body. Their main purpose now is to facilitate the post-season tournaments.

Realistically, couldn't a playoff team pick up some ringer for the playoffs under these scenarios?

Fall semester ends in Dec.

Later rounds of playoff will be during the spring semester in Jan.

I see no legal basis to have/enforce a rule that prevents playoff teams from adding players who transfer inbetween those semesters.

The bottom of FBS and all of FCS will be like what AAA baseball is...farm teams to the Helmet Schools.

The difference is; the Helmet schools pay nothing for developing their talent.
Good point. The school the player is transferring to should reimburse the school the player that is leaving for any previously paid NIL money, and maybe an additional fee?

Good point. The school the player is transferring to should reimburse the school the player that is leaving for any previously paid NIL money, and maybe an additional fee?
NIL contracts are (outside some specific restrictions) largely open for whatever so ... possible the NIL group could ask for their money back.

That was implied to have happened already in at least one case.

Some NIL groups would do best to simply pay over time and NOT do a lump sum that they may have to demand back. On the other hand some NIL groups might want to be the asshole... threaten.

NIL contracts are (outside some specific restrictions) largely open for whatever so ... possible the NIL group could ask for their money back.

That was implied to have happened already in at least one case.

Some NIL groups would do best to simply pay over time and NOT do a lump sum that they may have to demand back. On the other hand some NIL groups might want to be the asshole... threaten.
Admittedly, I haven't kept up with NIL. Thanks!

I was shocked when Kendyl Lindaman (former All American Gopher softballer) left Minnesota around Thanksgiving and was playing in a Florida uniform a few short weeks later. This was 2018-2019. At the time, I was glad that football hadn't devolved into that kind of mess. The time is now.

100% agree. Give these kids all the money they want, but make sure there are rules in place that force them to actually sit and take some consideration into the actions they're taking if they transfer. It's a fucking circus.

The NCAA is just the collection of voluntary member institutions that propose and pass rules on how athletic competition will be operated. It's not "the law". Universities don't need to be part of the NCAA and athletes aren't forced to attend an NCAA institution. It makes absolutely no sense to me that courts/judges can dictate how the NCAA operates as long as the rules don't break any state or federal laws.

I was shocked when Kendyl Lindaman (former All American Gopher softballer) left Minnesota around Thanksgiving and was playing in a Florida uniform a few short weeks later. This was 2018-2019. At the time, I was glad that football hadn't devolved into that kind of mess. The time is now.
I believe non-football and basketball sports have always had a one free (no sit out) transfer rule. It was happening in volleyball too

The NCAA is just the collection of voluntary member institutions that propose and pass rules on how athletic competition will be operated. It's not "the law". Universities don't need to be part of the NCAA and athletes aren't forced to attend an NCAA institution. It makes absolutely no sense to me that courts/judges can dictate how the NCAA operates as long as the rules don't break any state or federal laws.
They violate antitrust laws, because they violate NIL rights. Or so say judges, apparently.

I believe non-football and basketball sports have always had a one free (no sit out) transfer rule. It was happening in volleyball too

It actually started in softball right before that. Not sure about the other sports.

Top Bottom