No one is going to get fired this year from MN.

Taji34

Reaction score
It's 2020, we didn't have spring ball, summer camp wasn't normal either, we have a super young defense and a new OC. This was literally the perfect storm to essentially do what Northwestern did last year. It feels terrible from a fan perspective, but remember the OC turnover in the Brewster years? Are you really saying we should try that and it will work this time?

I feel bad, because my father was getting excited about PJ and he NEVER gets excited about anyone (he was calling PJ Brewster 2.0 when he was introduced). Now I have to try to calm him down when he sees results like this year and instantly going in the dumpster.

Honestly, it’s hard to look at this year and not say that something needs to change or adjusting. From PJ to the new coaches, new players, talent lost, COVID, etc. I literally had to just tell my father not to judge this year, but I’m having trouble believing it myself and wonder what he’s thinking.

I feel bad, because my father was getting excited about PJ and he NEVER gets excited about anyone (he was calling PJ Brewster 2.0 when he was introduced). Now I have to try to calm him down when he sees results like this year and instantly going in the dumpster.

Honestly, it’s hard to look at this year and not say that something needs to change or adjusting. From PJ to the new coaches, new players, talent lost, COVID, etc. I literally had to just tell my father not to judge this year, but I’m having trouble believing it myself and wonder what he’s thinking.
Tell him to look at Penn State this year as well. Currently winless.

Fleck was at Western Michigan for 4 years and took off for Minnesota. This is only his second job and he is on year 4 at Minnesota. This is really his first season with some adversity as a head coach where his team took a step back after a successful season. How he and the team responds the rest of this year and next year will be interesting to watch.

Agree with the OP. Honestly this should be the case all over the country. Coaches are dealing with situations they have never had to deal with before. Limited/no practice time, guys opting out, guys missing weeks at a time due to illness, no non-conf games, everything is upside down this season.

Some teams are dealing with it better then others but it really isn't fair to make any sweeping judgements about any coaching staff based on 2020 on the field results.

What about letting Simon call the plays on offense?

What about letting Harasymiak call the plays on defense? That is our only win, so far.

No one gets fired.

It would be silly to fire any head coaches this year for multiple reasons. Assistant coaches maybe.

Doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result ......

Honestly the more I think about the OP the more I’m disagreeing with it. The players and coaches are playing with mostly raw talent with little practice time. If they don’t have talent or coaching skills then will they really get that much better in a year or more? Doubtful.

Remember how Fleck came here, without his Defensive Coordinator from W. Michigan? He hired Rob Smith... And now his OC from W. Michigan left.. and he hired Sanford. So again, Fleck is a great salesman and motivator, but is only as good as his coordinators. And in this business, coordinators move on... so how successful can Fleck be when he's just a salesman?

I'd say it's still more likely that PJ decides to leave vs him ever getting fired from here.

He had to give up a good portion of his salary, and if there is something that makes you not happy, it's when people start messing around with your pay.

When leagues are playing fuller seasons with more fans, they can probably pay a coach on the short term better than the U can.

For those of you hoping to have Simon or Rossi as head coach some day, those dreams are probably more realistic than you might hope.

On the radio they have commercials asking for money... any amount that you can space.
It sounds desperate and with COVID comes change. It's a different world and you can't blame anyone for seeking a better secure income when you have an opportunity to do so.

Fleck was at Western Michigan for 4 years and took off for Minnesota. This is only his second job and he is on year 4 at Minnesota. This is really his first season with some adversity as a head coach where his team took a step back after a successful season. How he and the team responds the rest of this year and next year will be interesting to watch.
Agree....and who'd they take a step back with? His guys. Let's see how he'll rally them to be their best and coach them up. Next year is the magical coaching year 5....er, I mean year 4 with all of his own guys. Ooooohhhhhh, the anticipation to watch the climb to the mountain top or the car crash at the foot of it.

It's 2020, we didn't have spring ball, summer camp wasn't normal either, we have a super young defense and a new OC. This was literally the perfect storm to essentially do what Northwestern did last year. It feels terrible from a fan perspective, but remember the OC turnover in the Brewster years? Are you really saying we should try that and it will work this time?
Don’t have to fire him, just let Simon game plan and call the plays. Have Sanford coach the wide receivers.

If PJ wants to fire Sanford EOY I'm fine with that at this point (even though the offense hasn't been horrible until last night). I think he's going to prove a failed case of hiring your buddies over hiring the best candidate. Could be wrong over time.

Joe Rossi should not get sacked. PJ certainly should not either. They have done plenty of good work and we shouldn't panic over 3 lousy games with a depleted roster and a rebuilding defense.

I'd say it's still more likely that PJ decides to leave vs him ever getting fired from here.

He had to give up a good portion of his salary, and if there is something that makes you not happy, it's when people start messing around with your pay.

When leagues are playing fuller seasons with more fans, they can probably pay a coach on the short term better than the U can.

For those of you hoping to have Simon or Rossi as head coach some day, those dreams are probably more realistic than you might hope.

On the radio they have commercials asking for money... any amount that you can space.
It sounds desperate and with COVID comes change. It's a different world and you can't blame anyone for seeking a better secure income when you have an opportunity to do so.
What an interesting take...

Good take. I mean, Penn State is a great example in our conference, but look at the defending national champ (LSU) and how brutal they've been this year. And THAT is with Top 5 recruiting classes every year.

As of mid-November....

The Big Ten Championship is trending to be Northwestern vs. Indiana.

Notre Dame is #2 in the nation.

Penn State is 0-4.

Wisconsin has only played 1 game.

Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Cincinnati, BYU, Marshall and Louisiana are all ranked.

LSU has a losing record.

The Gophers are 1-3.

Just a few months ago we had posters that wanted to give Fleck 10 million a year ! Patience to see what he builds as to sustainable success.

Just a few months ago we had posters that wanted to give Fleck 10 million a year ! Patience to see what he builds as to sustainable success.

It's pretty telling about the fickle nature of the Minnesota fan (this goes for more teams than just the Gophers) that we have some of the same people who wanted to knight PJ after the Auburn win and so so loudly celebrated our run of 4-star commitments in this 2021 class who are now questioning his ability to run a program, develop talent and, yes, even recruit. Pretty ridiculous.

LOL and it will happen again. We have many posters who make knee jerk decisions quickly based on how much they had to drink.

LOL and it will happen again. We have many posters who make knee jerk decisions quickly based on how much they had to drink.

By the looks of some of the posts today, we have a LOT of day drinkers on our hands here

Or just realists.

How can someone be a realist about the future? You know the arc of development that will take place in the offseason? Did you also have us going 11-2 last year (including two Top 10 wins)?

The old adage from horse handicappintg it
As of mid-November....

The Big Ten Championship is trending to be Northwestern vs. Indiana.

Notre Dame is #2 in the nation.

Penn State is 0-4.

Wisconsin has only played 1 game.

Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Cincinnati, BYU, Marshall and Louisiana are all ranked.

LSU has a losing record.

The Gophers are 1-3.

Thanks for the perspective.

It is one thing to lose. It is another thing entirely to be an embarrassment. And that is what this team has become this year. An embarrassment. To the school, the fans and to itself. A complete and abject embarrassment. Offense, defense and special teams. The whole thing. A Tim Brewster-like embarrassment, where the only thing to talk about after the game is whether the other coach showed poor sportsmanship by using his time outs to make you look bad. Are you kidding me? And make no mistake--the fault does not rest with the players. There are more than enough good, experienced and skilled players on this team for it to be competitive. No, the fault rests completely and solely with the coaches. Men who are paid incredible amounts to do one thing—field a competitive, Big 10 level team. They did it last year, but this year they are failing miserably. And there is no excuse. None. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is dealing with a changed world. And almost everyone is adapting and coping. Except these guys. And it is unacceptable. There are 5 games left. These coaches need to block out every distraction, every non-essential thing, and prepare their players to be competitive for each game left on the schedule. And they need to begin immediately. Otherwise, do the honorable thing--hand in your resignation and stop robbing the University of your paycheck. Because right now, that is what you are doing.

With Covid19 being so rampant and this year just generally sucking in general I'm not going to get down on the team for losing football games. The fact that they keep playing and keeping enough players healthy is an accomplishment in itself. Would like to see a little more creativity on Offense, if possible right now. You can tell they are trying to limit exposure of the defense on the field, but some times it is better to take your lumps get better; than to just try and cover up weakness. More Wildcat and jets or quick out passes against Purdue please. We don't seem to have the tempo or pace with which we saw the team play at last year. Offense is really lacking the tempo they usually play at.

Last edited:

It is one thing to lose. It is another thing entirely to be an embarrassment. And that is what this team has become this year. An embarrassment. To the school, the fans and to itself. A complete and abject embarrassment. Offense, defense and special teams. The whole thing. A Tim Brewster-like embarrassment, where the only thing to talk about after the game is whether the other coach showed poor sportsmanship by using his time outs to make you look bad. Are you kidding me? And make no mistake--the fault does not rest with the players. There are more than enough good, experienced and skilled players on this team for it to be competitive. No, the fault rests completely and solely with the coaches. Men who are paid incredible amounts to do one thing—field a competitive, Big 10 level team. They did it last year, but this year they are failing miserably. And there is no excuse. None. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is dealing with a changed world. And almost everyone is adapting and coping. Except these guys. And it is unacceptable. There are 5 games left. These coaches need to block out every distraction, every non-essential thing, and prepare their players to be competitive for each game left on the schedule. And they need to begin immediately. Otherwise, do the honorable thing--hand in your resignation and stop robbing the University of your paycheck. Because right now, that is what you are doing.

I wonder if LSU is saying that Ed Orgeron should hand in his resignation? They did give up an SEC-record 623 yards passing against one of the worst teams in the SEC West. Based on last year's results LSU is actually experiencing an even worse drop-off than the Gophers. Lock Orgeron up! All those 5-star recruits! Lock him up! This is straight larceny by Eddie O!

Top Bottom