No one ever compare Gabe to Hoffarber again please.

Being the "Best" shooter on last year's team is not what I would call "High Praise". Kind of like being the best shooter at the Minnesota School for the Blind.
Or the best-tasting lutefisk on the menu at Stacy's Kitchen in Wabasha.

This will be my last point on this and then I'll let you guys debate for a long while.

Pitino tends to stick with his starting guards WAY TOO much!

Willis would have probably started if he hadn't transferred and he was not B1G material.
Gabe is struggling and he needs a change.
He started Coffey and the other Recent Guard (who is escaping me) when they were injured and probably shouldn't of been playing.

I swear to God, PG, SG and SF are printed out on his starting lineup for the entire season from the printers!

They probably are the three best guards on the team, but are they the best to start? If any of you remember when Dr. J won his first title in Philly, Bobby Jones was definitely the third or fourth best player on that team. He never started! Ever! He always finished! Maybe this kind of role would help Gabe! Maybe starting would help Tre, Ihnen or Mash. Pitino is never going to find out doing the same thing over and over.

Try something different, what ya got to lose? You can still have your favorites in there at the end.

Last edited:

I never said he's a bum, I said he's not Hoffarber. Big difference.

Is he playing well enough to keep 4 star recruits from getting more minutes? That's the question. I'd like to see more of Tre, Ihnen or even Mashburn instead of watching Gabe struggle. Yes, he's a good player, but there is no reason to not try running out other players. Especially three higher rated players (out of High School) than the one who is struggling.

I hear you on Tre, Ihnen, and Mash. Right now with our players I still believe Gabe's defense and what he commands other defenses to do, warrant him getting his 28-30 minutes. So in my opinion he still is playing well enough to keep our 4 stars off the court.

Williams is still out of control, Ihnen doesn't defend consistently, and Mash is a little small to pair with Carr for a long periods of time. I do like Mash a lot so far though. He's going to be a good one.

Do we really need this thread. Pretty sure we all know Gabe isn't shooting well - who the fuck has even compared him to Hoffarber in the last year?

Do we really need this thread. Pretty sure we all know Gabe isn't shooting well - who the fuck has even compared him to Hoffarber in the last year?

Biggest issue on the team the last 2 years, so yes.

You're starting #2 guard that gets 30+ minutes a game has been terrible for over a season now. This is a valid talking point. Can he get out of his slump? Can he change his game to help in other ways? Does he need to see the bench some?

They probably are the three best guards on the team, but are they the best to start? If any of you remember when Dr. J won his first title in Philly, Billy Cunningham was definitely the third or fourth best player on that team. He never started! Ever! He always finished!
I think you mean Bobby Jones. Billy Cunningham was the coach. Bobby Jones was the best overall 6th man in the game for a few years.

Has this been a common comparison? I don't remember seeing it very often.

I'm not saying Gabe will turn it around, I don't know, but Hoff and Gabe had almost identical SO years shooting. I also think Blake had better looks. Gabe has open looks, but they are rarely are they shots with his feet set (same thing with Willis last year).

I'm not making excuses for Gabe, he needs to shoot better. But his SO season was pretty similar to Blake. It's not a horrible comparison.

Player A Per 40:
11.6 PTS
4.9 REB
2.3 AST
1.2 STL
2.3 TO
34.1% 3P%
7.5 3PA per 40

Player B Per 40:
14.0 PTS
3.3 REB
1.9 AST
1.7 TO
34.1% 3P%
8.6 3PA per 40

Per 40 is such a silly way to look at stats.

2019-2020 Gophers players, per 40.

Player A:
14.7pts, 14.7 REB, 1.3 AST, 2.7 STL

Player B:
16,7pts, 5.8 REB, 7.1 AST, 0.9 STL

Player A outperformed Jordan Murphy's senior year. I don't think many on here think Player A is very good.

Biggest issue on the team the last 2 years, so yes.

You're starting #2 guard that gets 30+ minutes a game has been terrible for over a season now. This is a valid talking point. Can he get out of his slump? Can he change his game to help in other ways? Does he need to see the bench some?
If you want to make a thread about Gabe's shooting slump don't title it "never compare him to Hoffarber again". I haven't even seen anybody compare him to Hoffarber since his freshman season.

I never said he's a bum, I said he's not Hoffarber. Big difference.

Is he playing well enough to keep 4 star recruits from getting more minutes? That's the question. I'd like to see more of Tre, Ihnen or even Mashburn instead of watching Gabe struggle. Yes, he's a good player, but there is no reason to not try running out other players. Especially three higher rated players (out of High School) than the one who is struggling.

Good points and who knows maybe he needs a kick in the backside to get going - knows his spot isn't forever secure and that he needs to earn it - competition can do wonders!!

Per 40 is such a silly way to look at stats.

2019-2020 Gophers players, per 40.

Player A:
14.7pts, 14.7 REB, 1.3 AST, 2.7 STL

Player B:
16,7pts, 5.8 REB, 7.1 AST, 0.9 STL

Player A outperformed Jordan Murphy's senior year. I don't think many on here think Player A is very good.

Per 40 is a fantastic way to look at the stats. Yeah, there are going to be examples where people played very few minutes and their per 40 are distorted but when you are looking at two players who played comparable minutes (Hoff and Gabe), it's a good way of showing things like how often they shoot, how active they are, etc. Yes - like all stats you can find examples where someone played very few minutes and the per 40 look off. But it's still a good stat (also it has ZERO impact on shooting). Your example is a gay that played 30 TOTAL minutes. C'mon. Be serious.

Also, Jordan Murphy severely outperformed Sam Freeman in Per 40 that is unless you think Freeman is going to shoot 25% from the field and have a 1/3 AST/TO ratio.

If you want to make a thread about Gabe's shooting slump don't title it "never compare him to Hoffarber again". I haven't even seen anybody compare him to Hoffarber since his freshman season.
Correct. Two entirely different players. Gabe's defense is head over heels better than Blake's. His overall contribution is higher than Blake's. But, Blake certainly had as pure a stroke as you'll ever see.

Per 40 is a fantastic way to look at the stats. Yeah, there are going to be examples where people played very few minutes and their per 40 are distorted but when you are looking at two players who played comparable minutes (Hoff and Gabe), it's a good way of showing things like how often they shoot, how active they are, etc. Yes - like all stats you can find examples where someone played very few minutes and the per 40 look off. But it's still a good stat (also it has ZERO impact on shooting). Your example is a gay that played 30 TOTAL minutes. C'mon. Be serious.

Also, Jordan Murphy severely outperformed Sam Freeman in Per 40 that is unless you think Freeman is going to shoot 25% from the field and have a 1/3 AST/TO ratio.

If they play similar minutes why not just base it on what they actually did instead of a hypothetical where they played more minutes at the same rate of everything?

the NBA uses per 36. Why doesn’t college use per 30?

There are a ton or flaws were per 40 in my opinion, which is why no one references them when talking about end of season awards, draft prospects, etc.

Top Bottom