No one ever compare Gabe to Hoffarber again please.

Otis

Reaction score
For a gym rat, Gabe shoots pretty poorly.

Since his Freshman season he has been pretty average to bad in his shooting percentages. Yes, he had a couple of "Hot" games last year where he scored 27 or so on some unconscious shooting but those occasions were like oasis' in the desert of poor performances. 1-10 lines seem to be more common than 5-10 or even 4-10. I'm not even restricting myself to 3's!

So what is it? Mental? Must be, he must be pressing. How much easier can it get this year? Playing in an empty arena in what in essence is a scrimmage, shooting should be easy. Other than the gym is cold from lack of bodies. Or is he just not athletic enough to get off good shots against the defense? Hoffarber could! Is Gabe's shot too slow? He certainly doesn't have a Hoffarber like release. But rushing your shot leads to bad shooting, so maybe there is something there.

The rest of the guys cannot be that bad at defense to warrant continuing to watch him chuck bricks and not give them more run.

IMO, it is the looks he is getting with Carr as primary ball handler versus the looks he got his freshman season. The offense may be the same but the looks are definitely different. Carr dribbles way too much and then may decide to pass versus making the open pass immediately. Gabe has definitely been rushing his shots more. Pitino has to realize this and he and Gabe need to adjust because Carr is not Chan if if his style anytime soon.

Last year Gabe missed a ton of WIDE open shots and would miss them badly. Yes Carr dribbles too much however Gabe on many of his looks last year had plenty of time to get his shot off.

It’s all about making wide open shots and the Gophers missed a lot of wide open shots last year.

He is better at catch and shoot when the pass comes from the post rather than the wing or top of the keys

he is better when a defender is closing straight on rather than from a side angle.

he is merely an average shooter who has clearance to shoot a lot.
There are a lot of shooters in college basketball who could occasionally score 30 if they had clearance to fire away from distance.

I remember coming out of high school I said that Gabe is a streaky shooter and when he performed well as a freshmen people said I was wrong. He has always been streaky because he is a catch and shoot guy and struggles with shooting off the move whether its using screens or off the dribble and a lot of has to do with his fundamentals. He shoots at times when his footwork isnt there

I'll preface my responses with your heading is correct. They are completely different players. Gabe defends significantly better, Hoffarber can handle it a little better. They were both different shooters too and one is left handed and the other is right handed

This quote is ridiculous. He shot it "poorly" last year and was still one of our best shooters on the team.

Since his Freshman season he has been pretty average to bad in his shooting percentages. Yes, he had a couple of "Hot" games last year where he scored 27 or so on some unconscious shooting but those occasions were like oasis' in the desert of poor performances. 1-10 lines seem to be more common than 5-10 or even 4-10. I'm not even restricting myself to 3's!

It's been 3 games into Gabe's junior year. So far their percentages aren't too far off for their Freshman and Sophomore years. Lets just slow down a bit here.

So what is it? Mental? Must be, he must be pressing. How much easier can it get this year? Playing in an empty arena in what in essence is a scrimmage, shooting should be easy. Other than the gym is cold from lack of bodies. Or is he just not athletic enough to get off good shots against the defense? Hoffarber could! Is Gabe's shot too slow? He certainly doesn't have a Hoffarber like release. But rushing your shot leads to bad shooting, so maybe there is something there.
Shooting in an empty arena is actually harder to shoot in depth perception wise so it's probably not fair to give it a plus or a minus value yet. Although data is showing that both teams struggled to shoot well....

The rest of the guys cannot be that bad at defense to warrant continuing to watch him chuck bricks and not give them more run.

It might not be that the others are bad and that Gabe is that good at defense

I'm not saying Gabe will turn it around, I don't know, but Hoff and Gabe had almost identical SO years shooting. I also think Blake had better looks. Gabe has open looks, but they are rarely are they shots with his feet set (same thing with Willis last year).

I'm not making excuses for Gabe, he needs to shoot better. But his SO season was pretty similar to Blake. It's not a horrible comparison.

Player A Per 40:
11.6 PTS
4.9 REB
2.3 AST
1.2 STL
2.3 TO
34.1% 3P%
7.5 3PA per 40

Player B Per 40:
14.0 PTS
3.3 REB
1.9 AST
1.7 TO
34.1% 3P%
8.6 3PA per 40

I'll preface my responses with your heading is correct. They are completely different players. Gabe defends significantly better, Hoffarber can handle it a little better. They were both different shooters too and one is left handed and the other is right handed

This quote is ridiculous. He shot it "poorly" last year and was still one of our best shooters on the team.

It's been 3 games into Gabe's junior year. So far their percentages aren't too far off for their Freshman and Sophomore years. Lets just slow down a bit here.

Shooting in an empty arena is actually harder to shoot in depth perception wise so it's probably not fair to give it a plus or a minus value yet. Although data is showing that both teams struggled to shoot well....

IMO, Ihnen and Tre need more PT with Carr and Gach. I think they both have the potential to score a lot, especially Ihnen.

Ihnen appears to me to be at minimum serviceable on D - agree?

IMO, Ihnen and Tre need more PT with Carr and Gach. I think they both have the potential to score a lot, especially Ihnen.

Ihnen appears to me to be at minimum serviceable on D - agree?

Ihnen's D has improved from when he got here. Offensively he's a lightening in the bottle type and I like his game. He still loses guys defensively too often and he doesn't rebound well. I think at this time Gabe and Gach get 27-32 minutes. Carr 30-35, Mash- 10-15, Tre and Ihnen- 8-12. If Ihnen could prove he could guard more diversely he'd be bumped into the 12-18 minute category but he can't guard "4's" yet.

When the other perimeter shooters shoot 30 percent and Kalscheur shoots 33 percent, he's both one of the better shooters on the team, and a poor 3-point shooter. That isn't that hard of a concept to grasp.

I'm in agreement with the poster who evaluated Kalscheur as streaky out of HS. He was better than I thought he'd be as a freshman, but I never envisioned him taking a big step into some sort of All-League wing. More or less, I thought he'd be a solid 12 points on 37-42 percent 3-point and solid defense guy his whole career. He's regressed in a big way (through only a few games but this is where he should be feasting) since that first year. There's no other way to put it.

We can blame Carr who has a propensity for overdribbling (is that him or the system?). We could blame the system/secondary players for not generating a lot of easy shots for him - that's been my biggest thing. But let's face it, the guy misses shots that a player who is considered a good shooter should make more than he makes them. That's not good because this team desperately needs someone who can take the top off a defense.

Being the "Best" shooter on last year's team is not what I would call "High Praise". Kind of like being the best shooter at the Minnesota School for the Blind.

Throw out his Good games and his shooting is Willis bad.

Playing with no crowd impact should take away the pressure and more than make up for the lack of bodies. BTW, The Gophers used to practice in Williams, with empty seats. So, I find your argument meaningless. Gabe can shoot in Williams whenever he wants, if he asks.

Does his defense make up for going 1-10? Does he account for 9 stops out of ten against his man? I seriously doubt it. If his +/- is positive its more a factor of the fact he is out there with Carr for almost all of his minutes. Another player could potentially provide more offense to more than make up for the decrease in defense. Right now, we don't know because it's never been tried. Pitino sticks to his myopic love affair to his backcourt while he continues to play games with the 4.

Considering his results, maybe he should try switching it up elsewhere.

Being the "Best" shooter on last year's team is not what I would call "High Praise". Kind of like being the best shooter at the Minnesota School for the Blind.

Throw out his Good games and his shooting is Willis bad.

Playing with no crowd impact should take away the pressure and more than make up for the lack of bodies. BTW, The Gophers used to practice in Williams, with empty seats. So, I find your argument meaningless. Gabe can shoot in Williams whenever he wants, if he asks.

Does his defense make up for going 1-10? Does he account for 9 stops out of ten against his man? I seriously doubt it. If his +/- is positive its more a factor of the fact he is out there with Carr for almost all of his minutes. Another player could potentially provide more offense to more than make up for the decrease in defense. Right now, we don't know because it's never been tried. Pitino sticks to his myopic love affair to his backcourt while he continues to play games with the 4.

Considering his results, maybe he should try switching it up elsewhere.

My point is you can't argue that an empty arena effects anyone positively or negatively yet after 3 games. Or are Mashburn and Gach shooting mental too? Does is only count for Carr since he's shooting higher? You can't possibly know if the fans help reduce or create pressure for any individual player unless they tell you different.

Gabes defense does make up for it as long as he doesn't go 1-10 every game. He also still creates space for others. Watch LMU's defense. They were always aware of where he was. That created lanes for Carr and Gach. Also what was the 1-10? Were they forced? Were they open? Were they in rythym? It's all different, but I'm still in the world that Gabe can keep shooting if he's open and I still want him out there at the end of games with our current roster.

When the other perimeter shooters shoot 30 percent and Kalscheur shoots 33 percent, he's both one of the better shooters on the team, and a poor 3-point shooter. That isn't that hard of a concept to grasp.

I'm in agreement with the poster who evaluated Kalscheur as streaky out of HS. He was better than I thought he'd be as a freshman, but I never envisioned him taking a big step into some sort of All-League wing. More or less, I thought he'd be a solid 12 points on 37-42 percent 3-point and solid defense guy his whole career. He's regressed in a big way (through only a few games but this is where he should be feasting) since that first year. There's no other way to put it.

We can blame Carr who has a propensity for overdribbling (is that him or the system?). We could blame the system/secondary players for not generating a lot of easy shots for him - that's been my biggest thing. But let's face it, the guy misses shots that a player who is considered a good shooter should make more than he makes them. That's not good because this team desperately needs someone who can take the top off a defense.

So if Gabe would've made 7 more 3 pointers out 223 last year and shot 37 percent he wouldn't be regressing?

Williams Arena is a great place to shoot anytime it’s dark and the rims are soft. Simple if you are open you need to make shots.

Gabe is also much better scoring inside the arc than someone like Tre. He has been good there so far this year in addition to being a very good defender.

If Tre was starting, everybody would be clamoring for Gabe.

So if Gabe would've made 7 more 3 pointers out 223 last year and shot 37 percent he wouldn't be regressing?
As I pointed out the other day, it really matters when you make them. Last year he shot 29.9 % in conference play on high volume. That hurts the team. He helps the team in other ways, without a doubt. If we are going to be better he needs to shoot a whole lot better than that in games that are against good competition. I hope he fixes it.

He just isn't more than an average shooter. That is all. He's OK, but not a top player.
His minutes should be cut IMO.

This team will go as Carr goes. I like Gach too, he is going to be a difference maker. So far, Robbins looks like a stiff. Definitely not the impact player he was made out to be.

As I pointed out the other day, it really matters when you make them. Last year he shot 29.9 % in conference play on high volume. That hurts the team. He helps the team in other ways, without a doubt. If we are going to be better he needs to shoot a whole lot better than that in games that are against good competition. I hope he fixes it.

Great point and his percentage should be higher, but we are still only talking about 8-9 more made threes out of 137. He easily makes up for that throughout the year guarding the other teams best wing player. You are right in the fact that if he makes more, our team will be better of course. I just get tired of people (not you) that act like he's a total bum.

Great point and his percentage should be higher, but we are still only talking about 8-9 more made threes out of 137. He easily makes up for that throughout the year guarding the other teams best wing player. You are right in the fact that if he makes more, our team will be better of course. I just get tired of people (not you) that act like he's a total bum.

He's not a bum, but it's probably getting close to time that he starts passing on some shots. Maybe look to take it to the rack once in awhile. Sitting around the arch on offense and firing up lots of bricks per game hurts this team.

He's not a bum, but it's probably getting close to time that he starts passing on some shots. Maybe look to take it to the rack once in awhile. Sitting around the arch on offense and firing up lots of bricks per game hurts this team.

Yeah I think it's a fair argument regarding how many shots he takes if he continues to have woes. That they find different options or find some actions to see if they can get him rolling. This is on our staff to communicate in practices and film. The fact still remains that even with his poor shooting that defenses still treat him as a high level shooter and do not sag or double off him, which creates driving lanes for others. Hopefully it'll solve itself and Gabe, Gach, and Mash will all start shooting the ball better which is actually pretty likely just like it's likely that Carr settles down a little too.

That’s exactly what he’s been doing.

Gabe seemed to be driving and/or forcing more shots after timeouts last night. I wonder if Pitino was telling him to try to draw fouls or saw a mismatch. He didn't look confident on a lot of those shots. He seems very coachable...maybe too coachable. Either way, his defense is invaluable and I'm not going to knock him.

Yeah, I think it's a fair argument regarding how many shots he takes if he continues to have woes. That they find different options or find some actions to see if they can get him rolling. This is on our staff to communicate in practices and film. The fact still remains that even with his poor shooting that defenses still treat him as a high-level shooter and do not sag or double off him, which creates driving lanes for others. Hopefully, it'll solve itself and Gabe, Gach, and Mash will all start shooting the ball better which is actually pretty likely just like it's likely that Carr settles down a little too.
My only issue with Gabe is he doesn't impact the game as much when his shot isn't falling. He rarely gets assists or rebounds or even forces turnovers. Also when he isn't making shots, his defense dips in my opinion and you can see his dejected body language. Also, his shooting percentages are way too low. I know he shoots mostly 3s but shooting 41.7% as a freshman 37.6% last year and 27% this year. I think he settles too much and focuses on just being a shooter and he needs to start shot faking attacking the rim and trying to make plays for others instead of living and dying by the 3 ball.

I never said he's a bum, I said he's not Hoffarber. Big difference.

Is he playing well enough to keep 4 star recruits from getting more minutes? That's the question. I'd like to see more of Tre, Ihnen or even Mashburn instead of watching Gabe struggle. Yes, he's a good player, but there is no reason to not try running out other players. Especially three higher rated players (out of High School) than the one who is struggling.

Top Bottom