No Gophers in Townley's Updated Top 3 on 247

Need to temper transfers......not a good program building tactic. Here and there is one thing but getting transfers to win tomorrow is dangerous. Creating a pipeline and development is better for us.
Well, most of the transfers PJ has taken had multiple years of eligibility left.

OJ Smith, Chris Williamson and kicker Will Mobley all have or could have had two years. Micah Dew Treadway, Benjamin St. Juste, Karter Shaw and former commit Randal Grimes who ended up at UNLV had, have or could have had 3 years left. And Dylan Wright and punter Daniel Sparks have 4 years left so they are basically like true freshman.

Val Martin, Nyles Pinckney and Jack Gibbens are the only guys he's taken with only one year left. And Pinckney is a former All ACC guy so you take as many of those guys as you can get your hands on. So really Gibbens and Martin are the only guys were you could make the argument that it's not sustainable to take those guys.

Here is how I look at transfers. With most transfers, you know what you are going to get with them because they have already played D1 CFB. Or they have spent at least two years at the D1 level. So most transfers are going to be instant impact guys with no development years. If you take a HS recruit, he will either transfer out early, never see the field for meaningful snaps, or he will play meaningful snaps and be a starter but only for 1-2 years after 2-3 years of development. There are only a handful of guys that end up being 3-4 year starters or 3-4 year major contributors. So with transfers, you get the benefit of having the 1-2 years they actually contribute without having to go through the developmental years and there is very little risk they end up doing nothing.

So basically with transfers, you know they will be a good or a solid player but with HS guys, they may never see the field. Personally for me, its much easier for me to get excited for transfers knowing they will be instant impact guys as opposed to HS kids who may never amount to anything. They are just a safer investment.

Transfers, both multi-year and single-year, have to be an integral part of the equation in the new college football landscape. Any coach not recognizing that is going to be in for a rude awakening.
I don’t think they have to, but I don’t think it hurts either.

I’m sure Bill Snyder disagrees with you.

as does Ohio state (quarterback)
As does 2019 LSU (quarterback)
2017-2019 Oklahoma (quarterback)

Bad transfers are bad
Good transfers are good.

same as anyone else
Both the Big10 offensive and defensive players of the year were transfers. And of course like you said Snyder proved taking a high volume of transfers each year can work.

I think we have good depth already at DE: Austin Booker and Easton this class. The 2021 class had Jah Joyner, Gage Keys, AJ Anderson from 2019 and 2020. Our DT depth is insane already.
MJ Anderson is 6'3" 280lbs on the last roster, and so I assume he is playing 3tech not DE. Could easily be wrong.

Agree. Safety play was atrocious last year, and very few prospects in the pipeline. DB talent in general is arguably the biggest concern we have.

Also, could be coincidence, but I notice all of Townley’s schools have HC of Color. I wonder if that will be an increasingly important factor.
That is interesting. Most of these guys have white coaches and nice to connect with someone of their background in college. Townley doesn't have the same background as some of these guys, but perhaps wants to continue being around his culture. You do have to wonder if it will be a factor down the road. Better have a good mix of good coaches on board.

That is interesting. Most of these guys have white coaches and nice to connect with someone of their background in college. Townley doesn't have the same background as some of these guys, but perhaps wants to continue being around his culture. You do have to wonder if it will be a factor down the road. Better have a good mix of good coaches on board.
Not sure why it would be any more of a factor down the road than it is now.

MJ Anderson is 6'3" 280lbs on the last roster, and so I assume he is playing 3tech not DE. Could easily be wrong.

He’s an SDE like Big O who will move inside on passing downs.

He’s an SDE like Big O who will move inside on passing downs.
Did he line up at end during the 2020 season? I just don't recall that, but he easily could have.

Big O is 6'6" 285, so maybe the extra height means he is able to handle the extra weight and still maintain speed? Anyway ..

Top Bottom