NMST Defeated Gophers (Kill)

Yah-E

Bulieve
Reaction score
I completely forgot about this game! Ten years ago, NMST came into MN and beat us, none other than Kill himself under the helm. Kill had his seizure on the sideline at the end of this game. We started 0-2 that year.

I completely forgot about this game! Ten years ago, NMST came into MN and beat us, none other than Kill himself under the helm. Kill had his seizure on the sideline at the end of this game. We started 0-2 that year.

0-2 for the first time since 1992 was the stat of the day that day

Kill finally made it to a coaching job in the BIG after laboring for decades in lesser jobs.
Given his medical history, the unanswered question was why was he hired in the first place.
After he was here Kill was between a rock and a hard place, or to quote Homer between Scylla and Charybdis.
If he took his seizure medicines as prescribed he felt lethargic and dull. If he decreased the doses he had seizures.
The end result was hurtful to all concerned.

This game was unforgettable for the bolded sentence alone. TCF was virtually silent when Kill went down and I don’t think anyone in attendance* really cared that we lost.

*fmlizard and some guy excluded. They were in attendance and cared that we lost to NMSU.

Last edited:

This game was unforgettable for the bolded sentence alone. TCF was virtually silent when Kill went down and I don’t think anyone in attendance really cared that we lost.

Oh, we cared that the Gophers lost to New Mexico State at home.

We were all very concerned for Jerry's health, but the football sky was falling after that one.

I recall hanging onto anything positive in those days. Second win in a row over Iowa and a season ending throttling of Illinois at home. I recall that Illinois game in particular as having all the signs of a Gopher team that was getting better before our eyes.

The NMSU game was awful though. Had out of town guests staying with us and we brought them to the game. Told them we might leave early if the Gophers were blowing out the hapless Aggies by a lot. How hopeless that day was. Lose to a team like that and then have the new coach with a very uncertain future after having a very public seizure.

I recall hanging onto anything positive in those days. Second win in a row over Iowa and a season ending throttling of Illinois at home. I recall that Illinois game in particular as having all the signs of a Gopher team that was getting better before our eyes.

The NMSU game was awful though. Had out of town guests staying with us and we brought them to the game. Told them we might leave early if the Gophers were blowing out the hapless Aggies by a lot. How hopeless that day was. Lose to a team like that and then have the new coach with a very uncertain future after having a very public seizure.

This point was a very low one, coming off the Brewster collapse. The first Jerry Kill game almost beat USC so I remember this game feeling like a big setback. It got worse from there with a loss to NDSU, a blowout loss to Purdue, and the Michigan 58-0 game. That Michigan game may have been the ugliest Gopher loss since 84-13. It made for a wonderful contrast when 4 years later Kill and many of the same guys destroyed Michigan in Ann Arbor and got Hoke fired.

We were all very concerned for Jerry's health, but the football sky was falling after that one.
Different perspectives from the stadium I guess. The student section was dead silent for the remainder of the game after Kill was carted off. I recall the sky really falling after the NDSU loss that year.

Does anybody know what the point spread was going into the NMSU game back then?
This year we are NMSU's Super Bowl and Jerry Kill's Revenge Bowl. Of course we should win, but I expect a spirited and creative effort from NMSU. Best for the Gophers to put them away decisively, early in the game, breaking their spirit, rather than let them gain strength and confidence in an ugly closely-contested contest. Many sub-surface layers to this game. It isn't a run-of-the-mill non-con game.

Last edited:

I dropped my season tickets before that year and was glad I did at the time. The chaotic Brewster years had broken me. Watching Jer's collapse on the sideline in person must have been a big blow.

In true fair weather Minnesota fashion, our group left the game early pissed and sweating our asses off. We ended up downtown at Cuzzy's and saw the seizure on TV.

I forgot about that game completely and it was tNMSU. I was still a student back then. If I remember correctly it was HOT that game...probably one of the warmest in TCF history.
Just ironic that now 10 years later, NMST vs MINN again and he’s once again involved.

A lost and seizure 10 years ago for him? Hopefully this time is just a lost and no seizure 🙏

Different perspectives from the stadium I guess. The student section was dead silent for the remainder of the game after Kill was carted off. I recall the sky really falling after the NDSU loss that year.
Ya NDSU was when I knew this team was one of the worst fbs teams in the country.

I was still encouraged by the performance against USC that I chalked NMSU up as a fluke at the time.

Just ironic that now 10 years later, NMST vs MINN again and he’s once again involved.

A lost and seizure 10 years ago for him? Hopefully this time is just a lost and no seizure 🙏
Gotta admit I’m worried about the same thing.

Temperature seems more reasonable. Hopefully Jerry has found a way to manage everything.

In any other contexts, Kill’s behavior would be considered suicidal, not brave. Sorry, I just can’t care anymore. It’s like dealing with an alcoholic or drug user.

I remember that day because I had to go to a wake for my former boss who had died.

So I was already in a down mood, and the game didn't help matters any.

It was hot as hell that day and we all thought Kill had died over on the sidelines. Nobody knew hole had epilepsy until I think the next day. Probably the worst stretch of football ever that year, and that’s saying something. The Bison didn’t just beat us they kicked our teeth in.

It was hot as hell that day and we all thought Kill had died over on the sidelines. Nobody knew hole had epilepsy until I think the next day. Probably the worst stretch of football ever that year, and that’s saying something. The Bison didn’t just beat us they kicked our teeth in.
I remember how silent the stadium got, we were on the other side and couldn't see what was happening, didn't take long for word to travel around to us though.

This year we are NMSU's Super Bowl and Jerry Kill's Revenge Bowl. Of course we should win, but I expect a spirited and creative effort from NMSU. Best for the Gophers to put them away decisively, early in the game, breaking their spirit, rather than let them gain strength and confidence in an ugly closely-contested contest. Many sub-surface layers to this game. It isn't a run-of-the-mill non-con game.
The bold is what i've been thinking.

If you watched NMSU last night you’d know the game is already decided. They are horrible. Way worse than Bowling Green last year.

That was my first game at TCF Bank, and yes, it was hot. Like 95 degrees hot. My wife was pregnant with our son, and we had to leave early because she simply couldn't handle it. The stadium ran out of bottled water and we literally saw old folks having to be helped out because of the heat. Not a great memory.

In true fair weather Minnesota fashion, our group left the game early pissed and sweating our asses off. We ended up downtown at Cuzzy's and saw the seizure on TV.
I recall the TV angle for the game, they cut to Jerry on the ground right as he had a massive convulsion. Awful

I remember that game well. What a turnaround from the opener against USC where the team looked competent. Those Trojans finished 10-2 that season.

This game showed just how much of a rebuilding project it was. Kill's health on the sideline obviously made it an even worse day that season.

For me, in terms of the football game, thing I remember about the loss was it was in the midst of such a brutal stretch of football at the U that it was depressing that the sky wasn't falling after this one. It had already fallen and I had grown to expect this kind of bs.

The sky fell for me the year before against South Dakota. By this time, I was used to the horror.

Top Bottom