Nine wins including a win over Wisconsin

I think everyone is frustrated by the IL and BG games, but if you'd have asked me at the beginning of the season how I'd feel about "9-4 with a win over Wisconsin" I'd say "that sounds like a good season to me!"

The narrative changes on this the more we beat WI.
When Fleck was hired, he talks about how he could go 1-11 and people would be happy as long as the win was over Wisconsin.

Now it's turning into a "we can't beat Iowa" discussion because the monkey on our back of beating WI isn't as impossible as it previously seemed.

It’s bitter sweet for me. I haven’t forgotten the 80’s and 90’s. I remember the Brewster years. A 9 win season is certainly appreciated in Dinkytown. But 2021 will always be remembered by me as the season of what ifs and “that year the Gophers should have had 11 wins”.

In many ways it feels like 2003 to me (although without the one singular gut wrenching loss). Another season where locals will quickly forget how close we came to the Rose Bowl.

Unexplainable losses to Illinois and Bowling Green at home, and another loss in Iowa City despite domination statistically. The difference between playing in a wet baseball park and a Jan 1 bowl. Arrrgh!

It’s bitter sweet for me. I haven’t forgotten the 80’s and 90’s. I remember the Brewster years. A 9 win season is certainly appreciated in Dinkytown. But 2021 will always be remembered by me as the season of what ifs and “that year the Gophers should have had 11 wins”.

In many ways it feels like 2003 to me (although without the one singular gut wrenching loss). Another season where locals will quickly forget how close we came to the Rose Bowl.

Unexplainable losses to Illinois and Bowling Green at home, and another loss in Iowa City despite domination statistically. The difference between playing in a wet baseball park and a Jan 1 bowl. Arrrgh!
Bowling Green, you just shake your head. Illinois concerns me. I've got a bad feeling they are going to be a tough out in the coming years. Bret's a turd, but he's built to coach Big Ten football.

I think everyone is frustrated by the IL and BG games, but if you'd have asked me at the beginning of the season how I'd feel about "9-4 with a win over Wisconsin" I'd say "that sounds like a good season to me!"
But did you know at the beginning of the year we would have one of the very best defenses in the country? That might have elevated your expectations.

Bowling Green, you just shake your head. Illinois concerns me. I've got a bad feeling they are going to be a tough out in the coming years. Bret's a turd, but he's built to coach Big Ten football.
Illinois couldn’t stay a doormat forever. They still have a ways to go to compete for the west in my opinion. Sanford called a horrible game against them. They aren’t impressive offensively at all.

Top Bottom