NIL in other sports compared to football

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I have only been hearing about these big NIL contracts football players have been getting. Maybe I just don't pay attention to other sports. However, wondering if that if affecting the basketball recruiting too. I am assuming that a bad record has a lot to do with Minnesota's situation ... just wondering if bidding wars are going on in Men's and Women's basketball or if it is mostly a football situation.

It's hard to be sure about a lot of the stuff you read. unlike contracts and scholarships, the big NIL payments are taking place in this gray area that people have created by working around the rules.
just because we read that Recruit X is getting a $100,000 NIL deal, that doesn't mean X will actually receive the money, because some of these deals have fallen through.

But there is some evidence that star players are taking advantage. Paige Bueckers has reportedly signed deals with Gatorade, Crocs and Bose. and those are 'above-the-table' type of deals.

there is plenty of money floating around the college basketball scene. some of it finds its way to players, either above or below the table.

but being cynical, if a recruit is considering MN, and NIL $$ is one of their top concerns, I don't think that recruit is going to wind up at MN - at least not in the current climate.

I have only been hearing about these big NIL contracts football players have been getting. Maybe I just don't pay attention to other sports. However, wondering if that if affecting the basketball recruiting too. I am assuming that a bad record has a lot to do with Minnesota's situation ... just wondering if bidding wars are going on in Men's and Women's basketball or if it is mostly a football situation.
I have zero doubt that these fake NIL deals are all over the place in basketball as well but for whatever reason they have not gotten the same press that the football ones are getting.

But I still think the big dollar deals for recruits are the exception more than the rule as I don't think a lot of players are cashing in big time on these pay for play deals to the tune of any sort of life changing money.

In regards to the impact this all has on Minnesota and recruiting I think it is probably fairly minimal as we weren't a destination for the recruits who would have been getting the under the table money prior to them being able to call it NIL anyway.

I also don't really think Fleck is the type who would want to recruit players that are primarily focused on getting paid, as that doesn't really fit the kind of culture he seems to have built with the team.

But there is some evidence that star players are taking advantage. Paige Bueckers has reportedly signed deals with Gatorade, Crocs and Bose. and those are 'above-the-table' type of deals.

but being cynical, if a recruit is considering MN, and NIL $$ is one of their top concerns, I don't think that recruit is going to wind up at MN - at least not in the current climate.
To the first part - great example of NIL working the way it is supposed to work

To the second part - if NIL was a top concern for a recruit I don't think he is likely to be the kind of player Fleck would be likely to target.

Deion Sanders said something to the effect of, "Come to Colorado, we don't have any NIL money, but come to Colorado", when he was giving out an award at the NFL Honors last week.

Top Bottom