NIL and Transfers

GVLCGopherFan

Reaction score
Going forward, I'm wondering if NIL might be used by larger programs to lock up players from transferring. I can see a scenario where a school offers money only if a player agrees to stay for a certain number of years.

I don't believe schools are allowed to use NIL promises to lure recruits. I assume it's the same for transfers.

Schools don't offer the money.
Is there a rule/law in place that would stop a school's supporter from offering a multi-year deal to a player with the stipulation that they remain a player of that team? It could be structured as a private contract.

If so, then great.

The deals are also NOT supposed to be tied to actually playing, or playing for a particular team.

I don't believe schools are allowed to use NIL promises to lure recruits. I assume it's the same for transfers.
Maybe, but wasn't there just a thread about Texas offering all offensive lineman 50K or something along those lines. Might not be the school promising the money but would say that would be a pretty strong lure to any recruit considering Texas as an option.

I don't know ... seems like the buying has begun .... Gophergrandpa posted this earlier. The Texas head coach said that OL was their weak link. So boosters (alias non-profit) are trying to fix that by offering each scholarship OL $50,000 Texas offensive linemen offered $50,000 annual NIL deal - Sports Illustrated Might just as well get rid of college football and set up a minor league system.

MNVCGUY was remembering the Texas post as well ... beat me to the punch.

Maybe, but wasn't there just a thread about Texas offering all offensive lineman 50K or something along those lines. Might not be the school promising the money but would say that would be a pretty strong lure to any recruit considering Texas as an option.
Yeah I mean I don't doubt that some workarounds will happen, I just mean a coach can't say "hey come here and you get this $50k sponsorship" explicitly, to my knowledge. Of course that doesn't mean kids aren't aware of what's out there and will certainly be influenced.

I don't know ... seems like the buying has begun .... Gophergrandpa posted this earlier. The Texas head coach said that OL was their weak link. So boosters (alias non-profit) are trying to fix that by offering each scholarship OL $50,000 Texas offensive linemen offered $50,000 annual NIL deal - Sports Illustrated Might just as well get rid of college football and set up a minor league system.
I mean it was totally predictable that the NIL thing was going to go this route where the teams with deep pocketed boosters willing to shell out tons of cash would just openly start paying players this way.

The way the Texas one is structured, some lineman buried on the depth chart who nobody has ever heard of would pocket 50K supposedly so that some organization could use his Name or Likeness even though they never, ever will unless at some point down the line he becomes a starter.

Or some transfer lineman, say one from Minnesota, could head down to Texas and pocket 50K regardless of whether or not they even see the field. But yeah, no lure at all there.....sure... :)

Yeah I mean I don't doubt that some workarounds will happen, I just mean a coach can't say "hey come here and you get this $50k sponsorship" explicitly, to my knowledge. Of course that doesn't mean kids aren't aware of what's out there and will certainly be influenced.
Coach maybe can't say it, but pretty easy to make sure the recruit hears about it somehow during the recruiting process.

Heard a rumor that Curtis Dunlap might end up at Texas. If true, unrelated to new NIL bribe (I mean “deal”)? The Texas deal doesn’t just get you starters, it builds your position depth as well. Nice to get paid above the national average wage simply by bring a depth guy.

There will be loopholes to the rules. Athletes can’t be sponsored by an apparel company. However, Nike created an NIL company called Division Street to “help” the University of Oregon athletes.

There will be loopholes to the rules. Athletes can’t be sponsored by an apparel company. However, Nike created an NIL company called Division Street to “help” the University of Oregon athletes.
That's a weird rule. Why can't apparel companies sponsor anyone?

Conflict of interest between school vs athlete. For instance, a player signs a shoe/apparel contract with Adidas but playing with a Nike endorsed college. Not sure if Minnesota passed the law, but a couple states did.

Is there a rule/law in place that would stop a school's supporter from offering a multi-year deal to a player with the stipulation that they remain a player of that team? It could be structured as a private contract.
Why would... Say Nike Division Street... Why would they continue to pay some kid on a NIL deal if the kid bails out on Oregon? They won't, and the players know it. The Nike Division Street money will lock players down, for the most part. Also, since it's all nice and legal, it will be happening over and over.

Could be used the other way, too... coach wants to "encourage" an under-performing player to transfer out, so he makes a call and the NIL money dries up.

Fleck is going to need to set up a NIL program here... there are a lot of huge corporations located in the Twin Cities. Gonna need to get some of them to step up if the Gophers are ever going to be a contender. That's just the facts of the NIL situation.

News on Ewers. The boys down at the NCAA enforcement division (is their one) will be squinting hard at this, surely.

Earlier this week, Geoff Ketchum of Orangebloods.com reported Texas is offering “first-round draft pick-level NIL money” to Ewers.

“Word on the street is that first round draft pick-level NIL money is on the table for Quinn Ewers if he chooses Texas as his transfer destination,” Ketchum tweeted on Tuesday. “The weaponization on the NIL front is fully underway.”

A reported massive offer on the table from Texas might be able to sway his opinion. However, fans will just have to wait and see what happens next.

A decision could be coming very soon.

When are you guys going to start sponsoring Gophers players?

Open those checkbooks...

Last edited:

In all seriousness, I’d spend money with an NIL related entity for Gopher players…

Top Bottom