NIL and Minnesota

In the same article he mentioned that Nebraska has much better NIL opportunities (for him, anyway) than Texas! Texas has some pretty good NIL things set up—I wonder what the heck Nebraska has going? A lot of rich boosters … Got to be better than anything else in the B1G West. Maybe this is what Frost needs to turn the corner.
What they have going: sheer, unadulterated desperation.

They can feel it slipping away, to a level that you can never recover from. Their big boosters were alive in the 90's, and they really still have a kool-aid drinking faith that they can turn Lincoln, Nebraska into Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

But if it doesn't happen in the next 5-10 years ... then Nebraska will never be anything different than Iowa.

These are the kinds of things that are going to make college football feel gross.
Yeah, it's pretty gross to see people get paid what they are worth rather than having a system that artificially suppresses their earning power.

Yeah, it's pretty gross to see people get paid what they are worth rather than having a system that artificially suppresses their earning power.
Could it be both? The gross part is that there is an extremely unlevel playing field.
I agree players should be able to make money, but I also feel it will likely ruin college sports.

Could it be both? The gross part is that there is an extremely unlevel playing field.
I agree players should be able to make money, but I also feel it will likely ruin college sports.
I get that, and I have some fears too. I just think the reality is that college football has always been a flawed sport, it just took a long time to get exposed. And I say this as someone who much prefers college sports to professional.

In the same article he mentioned that Nebraska has much better NIL opportunities (for him, anyway) than Texas! Texas has some pretty good NIL things set up—I wonder what the heck Nebraska has going? A lot of rich boosters … Got to be better than anything else in the B1G West. Maybe this is what Frost needs to turn the corner.

Nil is huge because Nebraska has one game in the state, Husker Football. Nothing else in going on in Nebraska.

I get that, and I have some fears too. I just think the reality is that college football has always been a flawed sport, it just took a long time to get exposed. And I say this as someone who much prefers college sports to professional.
We'll see how it all plays out. I have a feeling my days as a die hard college football fan will dwindle in the next ten years. If so, I'll just put more of my focus back on the NFL.

Moreso he didn’t go there out of loving the school, the opportunity to develop as a player and person, etc. but went for money. I’ll just follow pro sports if guys follow the money. That’s more what I mean. Some of still want that to be what college sports are about and aren’t at all blaming the players for the system the ncaa made come to fruition out of greed.

We'll see how it all plays out. I have a feeling my days as a die hard college football fan will dwindle in the next ten years. If so, I'll just put more of my focus back on the NFL.
NFL, eneffschmell. Horse racing, man. When is the last time you've heard of any corrupti....Oh, wait, never mind.

On thing they have is major connections with opendorse.com which was one of the first companies helping pro athletes monetize their brand with social media years ago. Tons of high profile players and teams in all sports are clients of theirs. That company is headquartered in Lincoln and founded by two former Husker football players.
They simply have no competition for marketing dollars in the state. No pro sports to speak of.

You don't get $1M in the bank by throwing random $10k in the trash.
Rather, once you've got your $1M+ in the bank and earning investment returns ... "burning" $10k "play money" isn't that big of a stretch.

I am certainly not a millionaire, if that is what you're asking.

No millionaire has ever taken a fancy vacation that cost $10k? Or donated $10k to some cause?

Why is it any different? I guess I don't see why this need to be hard.
All I was saying is that people that have worked hard to achieve the means don't throw money around on a whim. They understand the value of money and carefully assess what they are spending the money on before buying. Many selfmade millionaire never buy brand new cars because they know it will depreciate the most as soon as they drive it off the lot for example. Getting one that's a year or two old gives them the most bang for the buck.

If they are going to fork out 10k for anything, they want to know if it's money well spent!

All I was saying is that people that have worked hard to achieve the means don't throw money around on a whim. They understand the value of money and carefully assess what they are spending the money on before buying. Many selfmade millionaire never buy brand new cars because they know it will depreciate the most as soon as they drive it off the lot for example. Getting one that's a year or two old gives them the most bang for the buck.

If they are going to fork out 10k for anything, they want to know if it's money well spent!
Good point, I never see millionaires driving brand new, expensive cars. Nope, rich people only spend money on things with a return on investment. They don't take extravagant vacations, they don't fly first class, they don't eat expensive steaks. No fun money thrown around ever.

Good point, I never see millionaires driving brand new, expensive cars. Nope, rich people only spend money on things with a return on investment. They don't take extravagant vacations, they don't fly first class, they don't eat expensive steaks. No fun money thrown around ever.
Oh there are plenty of them that do. And like a lot of pro athletes and lottery winners, they find themselves broke in the end.

To all the millionaires out there reading this:. Buying the Gophers a title is money well spent!

For those who watched the spring presser Coach did bring up NIL deals and did indicate that a number of players have them. Didn't go into specifics but for those worried that nothing was happening here on that front this would seem to say otherwise.

I was watching the McDonald's all American bball game the other night. The announcer said that one of the top ranked kids( I forgot his name) bought his mom a Porsche with nil money. How could he get that money while still in high school? Any rules about that?

I was watching the McDonald's all American bball game the other night. The announcer said that one of the top ranked kids( I forgot his name) bought his mom a Porsche with nil money. How could he get that money while still in high school? Any rules about that?
There are no rules anymore.

I don't see why there would be any rules about a private NIL deal giving some of the money before actually arriving to the college team. It's their money. The NCAA is just stepping out of the way.

I'm not an expert on the rules but you can't lose college eligibility for it, and his HS career is probably done by now. I don't think HS leagues can enforce anything even if they are still playing, but someone can correct me on that. I just hope he saved some money for income taxes and didn't put all of the money into the Porsche.

I don't see why there would be any rules about a private NIL deal giving some of the money before actually arriving to the college team. It's their money. The NCAA is just stepping out of the way.
This

Maybe this kid will be an All-American and a solid to great NBA player, who knows.

But also possible that he doesn't develop into that.

Point being, think about all the McDonald's AA players in the past who never amounted to anything professionally in bball ... but never got to make any money before/while in college because of the NCAA amateurism rules at that time.

All out the window now. Oh well! Those guys got jobbed.

What they have going: sheer, unadulterated desperation.

They can feel it slipping away, to a level that you can never recover from. Their big boosters were alive in the 90's, and they really still have a kool-aid drinking faith that they can turn Lincoln, Nebraska into Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

But if it doesn't happen in the next 5-10 years ... then Nebraska will never be anything different than Iowa.
They have to fix the culture and coaching first.

Part of the reason that Quinn Ewers left high school early and enrolled at Ohio State was that he could not accept NIL money as a high school student in Texas, but could as a college student in Ohio. Texas is one of a handful of states that prohibit it for high school students.

Part of the reason that Quinn Ewers left high school early and enrolled at Ohio State was that he could not accept NIL money as a high school student in Texas, but could as a college student in Ohio. Texas is one of a handful of states that prohibit it for high school students.
That is actually kind of surprising considering how big high school football is in Texas.

That is actually kind of surprising considering how big high school football is in Texas.
I would guess the importance of high school football in Texas is precisely why they have the law, to prevent boosters from trying to "buy" high school players.

Top Bottom