Nice win!

Mitchell is a 3 star on 247, ranked 154. Jamal Mashburn is ranked 133 and Ben Carlson 102.
Too many guys that were ranked at 100 higher went on to be all conference, all american and 10 million a year plus guys in the NBA. Mash should have been a top 90 guy. Guys doing those evals really do not work that hard.Besides, Mitchell was really raw, his story is not written yet.

In general, I agree with you but I've seen Pitino teams collapse before (more than once) so I'm going to reserve judgment a bit longer.

The post you quoted was actually a pretty weak post on my part. Lacked content and wasn't really very clear on my own views. I realized after I wrote it that it was time for bed.

But you did hit on a key point for me. I roll my eyes every time we start a new fire Pitino thread after any singular loss. The Illinois loss, albeit ugly, was one conference game with 19 to follow. But I would be a fraud if I called for a contract extension after two or three conference wins. In general, it just makes sense to me to evaluate the whole body of work after the season. Enjoy the ride now. That is why we are here in the first place.

Using his overall B1G record as a hammer is tiresome. He has led two of our worst all time seasons and went a combined 6-30. It will take several years to get to .500 or above if he ever does.

But I do not care about 2016 or 2018. I care about 2021 and forward. So far this year is promising. If he can close the deal, he comes back. If it falls apart, he should not.
I am having a lot of fun watching this team this year. That being said, what do you consider closing the deal?

I have to say for me personally just making the tournament and losing in the first round with a 6-8th place finish in the B1G would still warrant moving on from RP.

Now I absolutely believe we can finish higher than that in the B1G but that’s just my take on this situation.

You can rationalize the Big Ten record all you want but wins and losses are what coaches are judged on.

Only 33 more in a row and Pitino will be .500 in the B1G!

It seems pretty arbitrary to use this as a metric for assessing Pitino's current/future performance. If the gophers went 15-5 each of the next 3 seasons, correct me if I'm wrong, you would still be posting this complaint.

I am having a lot of fun watching this team this year. That being said, what do you consider closing the deal?

I have to say for me personally just making the tournament and losing in the first round with a 6-8th place finish in the B1G would still warrant moving on from RP.

Now I absolutely believe we can finish higher than that in the B1G but that’s just my take on this situation.

You can rationalize the Big Ten record all you want but wins and losses are what coaches are judged on.

I'd have a hard time moving on from a coach at MN that made the tournament. If we got the 6th seed, that would mean we most likely went over .500 in an historically tough Big 10. If we win 20+ games this year, make the tournament and finish at or over .500 in the Big 10, Pitino should be safe. The matchups between 6-11 are all pretty close games. It would be hard for me to have that be the reason we move on. All of that said, I do get it. Is this method of program building sustainable? So yeah, I understand your sentiment, but I think Pitino's job is safe if we make the tournament and go over .500 in the Big 10.

It seems pretty arbitrary to use this as a metric for assessing Pitino's current/future performance. If the gophers went 15-5 each of the next 3 seasons, correct me if I'm wrong, you would still be posting this complaint.

Well, the complaint would be a little different (like 11 times different).

Going into the season, making the tournament. But you're right, at this point, eeking in as a double-digit seed and losing in the 1st round would be a disappointment, just like Tubby's final season where we went from #8 in the country in January to barely making the tournament. "I'll know it when I see it" applies.

We are 3 and 2 to start the gauntlet. That is excellent. The whole question is what we do next. I’d like to win them all but 3 and 2 again in the next five games puts us at 6 and 4. Win 8 of 10 to close and we are fighting for our best finish since 1980...? Dunno, in a long time. That could get a piece of the title? 14 and 6.

I'd have a hard time moving on from a coach at MN that made the tournament. If we got the 6th seed, that would mean we most likely went over .500 in an historically tough Big 10. If we win 20+ games this year, make the tournament and finish at or over .500 in the Big 10, Pitino should be safe. The matchups between 6-11 are all pretty close games. It would be hard for me to have that be the reason we move on. All of that said, I do get it. Is this method of program building sustainable? So yeah, I understand your sentiment, but I think Pitino's job is safe if we make the tournament and go over .500 in the Big 10.
100 % agree. Plus there will be zero money to transition to a new more expensive staff. Win the conference , 3 year extension. Make the tourney at 11-9 one year. This team can be 15-5 and right thee.

100 % agree. Plus there will be zero money to transition to a new more expensive staff. Win the conference , 3 year extension. Make the tourney at 11-9 one year. This team can be 15-5 and right thee.
For me that doesn’t make sense and I have to respectfully disagree. I am more on the side of winning tournament games. That’s what people remember. A good regular season is fun but all for nothing in my opinion if you don’t make a run. Different strokes for different folks.

I am starting to think I am the delusional person on this board with higher expectations than I should have. Maybe we are just cemented as a below average college basketball program? We have beaten the conference record (it’s really bad) into the ground but does 1 tournament win in 8 years satisfy everyone? If so, I’ll just keep quiet and get in line.

For me that doesn’t make sense and I have to respectfully disagree. I am more on the side of winning tournament games. That’s what people remember. A good regular season is fun but all for nothing in my opinion if you don’t make a run. Different strokes for different folks.

I am starting to think I am the delusional person on this board with higher expectations than I should have. Maybe we are just cemented as a below average college basketball program? We have beaten the conference record (it’s really bad) into the ground but does 1 tournament win in 8 years satisfy everyone? If so, I’ll just keep quiet and get in line.

I think where Built stands and many others is that winning one off games is easier than being a top 5 team in the conference every year. And with being a top 5 team in the conference would come many tournament victories.

I get what you’re saying though.

I think where Built stands and many others is that winning one off games is easier than being a top 5 team in the conference every year. And with being a top 5 team in the conference would come many tournament victories.

I get what you’re saying though.
I see the logic in that. It does make sense. Consistently win more in the regular season and build a successful foundation for your program. Do you think 11-9 is a top 5 finish this year? I am betting that it is not. I agree a top 5 finish is excellent in the Big Ten.

I do like what I see this year and I genuinely want the team to win. I am not rooting for us to lose to see pitino gone. I’m just trying to analyze this logically and gage the boards measure of success for this program. I just want more for this program so bad. It’s the best ticket in town.

I see the logic in that. It does make sense. Consistently win more in the regular season and build a successful foundation for your program. Do you think 11-9 is a top 5 finish this year? I am betting that it is not. I agree a top 5 finish is excellent in the Big Ten.

I do like what I see this year and I genuinely want the team to win. I am not rooting for us to lose to see pitino gone. I’m just trying to analyze this logically and gage the boards measure of success for this program. I just want more for this program so bad. It’s the best ticket in town.

I agree with everything you said. However I think this is a 12-14 win team in the conference. 14 wins has them top 4, I think. But there needs to be sustained success. Can’t finish 4th, then 12th, then 9th, then 11th and talk about finishing 4th.

I am high on this team but there is still some doubt because we haven’t had sustained success in so long. Gopher basketball is my favorite Gopher event to attend (volleyball a close 2nd)because the potential is there.

I agree with everything you said. However I think this is a 12-14 win team in the conference. 14 wins has them top 4, I think. But there needs to be sustained success. Can’t finish 4th, then 12th, then 9th, then 11th and talk about finishing 4th.

I am high on this team but there is still some doubt because we haven’t had sustained success in so long. Gopher basketball is my favorite Gopher event to attend (volleyball a close 2nd)because the potential is there.
I agree this roster has potential for something great. I just want to see it before I get too excited. If they finish top 4, I would absolutely give RP another crack at it but I would then want to see some signs of sustained success, not a regression like the example case you laid out above.

I have done quite a few thrill seeking type things in life like sky diving, foreign travel alone, swimming with sharks. It may sound weird but nothing gives me a better thrill than when the barn is a madhouse. Something about knowing that our deafening passionate crowd is truly effecting the game with athletes laying it all on the line gives me a thrill.

Top Bottom