Nice article on Max and Jim Shikenjanski

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Hard to find a Gopher fan that doesn't love SHIK!!!! Dude was a hard working blue-collar big man during the "good ol' days" and a constant at The Barn ever since with his big smile and personality. So cool to see his son will wear maroon and gold, albeit on the football field after Max turned down a D1 basketball offer. Godspeed to Max's Mom, very tough news:

Per Marcus:

As a two-sport star at Stillwater High School, Max Shikenjanski had a big decision to make last October.

Would he play Division I basketball like his father? Or would he play for the Gophers like his father but in a different sport?

He had committed to play basketball on scholarship at The Citadel in South Carolina. But when Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck offered to make him a preferred walk-on, Shikenjanski changed his mind.

"He's been a Gophers fan his whole life," said Jim Shikenjanski, Max's father and a former Gophers basketball center from the Clem Haskins era. "It was a dream of his to play for Minnesota."

At the time, the Shikenjanski family didn't know how important it would be for Max to pick a school close to home. Just a few weeks after he made the decision, his mother, Rebecca, was diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).

ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, affects the brain's nervous system and breaks down physical function. There is no known cure.

Picking Minnesota "makes it easier for [Max] and his mom for everything she's going to eventually be going through," Jim said.

Go Gophers!!

Jim Shik really typified the Haskins era. A hard-working, blue-collar type of player. Sure, the Gophers had some talent in those years, but they also had guys like Shik or Richard Coffey who just went out there and battled their butts off.

I wish the best to the entire family.

We didn't want the kid? We have open scholarships, or would fleck trade for Jack Wilson?
He committed to The Citadel. Not likely a high major scholarship player. I recall the chatter here that he could shoot and score but wasn’t a B1G athlete. Lots of suggestions for walk on in hoops too. Glad he’s a Gopher.

Top Bottom