NHL will pay $800,000 to use TCF Bank Stadium for Wild's outdoor weekend

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Business Journal:

The University of Minnesota is charging the NHL $800,000 to use TCF Bank Stadium for this weekend’s Stadium Series games.

The University will also keep parking revenues and a cut of food and alcohol sales, according to a contract obtained by the Business Journal through a public records request.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...19&u=l2OE8cv4SYvc4p5FChL5bg4owEd&t=1455888866

Go Gophers!!

Until the costs increase. Which will happen since it's taking so long to build...

Maybe not. Global slowdown, little inflation, low commodity prices. This is the time to do it. Too bad most D3 athletic departments are better run than this one and would've had the money raised by now.

It appears most of that is to reimburse for expenses. The U doesn't seem to be making a profit.

"The league (will) pay up to $625,000 in game-day expenses to the university to recoup costs in providing ticket takers, security, police and medical personnel for Saturday’s Alumni Game and Sunday’s NHL game.

The university also is in line for up to $200,000 in out-of-pocket costs to repair the football field if the NHL damages any of it removing the outdoor rink."

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/18/nhl-pays-umn-800000-to-rent-tcf-bank-stadium-for-outdoor-games/

Maybe not. Global slowdown, little inflation, low commodity prices. This is the time to do it. Too bad most D3 athletic departments are better run than this one and would've had the money raised by now.

Hate to disagree - but in my real-life job, I've been reporting on plans to build a new fire hall in the city where I live. The project architects and engineers have said that construction costs are going up, and there is limited availability for certain materials, including pre-cast concrete. I don't have the exact quote in front of me, but one of the architects said something to the effect that, for every month you delay, you could see costs going up $100,000. (this is for a project with an estimated cost of $4.5 million dollars.)

So, the U needs to get going on this as soon as possible. (which may be why they have gone ahead with planning even though the U has only raised about half or less of the money needed for the project.)

It appears most of that is to reimburse for expenses. The U doesn't seem to be making a profit.

"The league (will) pay up to $625,000 in game-day expenses to the university to recoup costs in providing ticket takers, security, police and medical personnel for Saturday’s Alumni Game and Sunday’s NHL game.

The university also is in line for up to $200,000 in out-of-pocket costs to repair the football field if the NHL damages any of it removing the outdoor rink."

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/18/nhl-pays-umn-800000-to-rent-tcf-bank-stadium-for-outdoor-games/

Aren't the Vikings paying to replace the turf anyway? Or are they just replacing the parts that are permanently painted?

I don't have a subscription and don't plan to buy one, so I can't read the article. Are the above payments really part of the $800k? I would think that would be additional.

I read that as in addition to the rent. Per the linked article, rent is $800,000. Reimburseable expenses are additional, up to $625,000. Article doesn't specify, but that's how I read it.

I read that as in addition to the rent. Per the linked article, rent is $800,000. Reimburseable expenses are additional, up to $625,000. Article doesn't specify, but that's how I read it.

I can't access the Business Journal article, so you may be right. All I have to go on is the Pioneer Press article, which isn't at all clear.

Oh great, so we're going in the wrong direction probably at less than 47% funded.

They've got to reimburse The U for cleanup, security, or any other encumbrances in addition to the $800K rent for financial sense.

Can the temporary seats be taken down now please so we can have the plaza in the open end of the stadium back

I like the set-up and the Block M was visible on most of the shots.

From all accounts it was a great event. Can't we just leave it at that?

My plan: Forget the wild. Tuck the rink sideways into the home end of the field and set up the Viking temp seats on the open side. Play North Dakota - North Star Cup - Wisconsin on three consecutive weekends. Sell 30,000 seats and a lot of beer on Friday-Saturday each weekend. Maybe even bring back the clear dasher boards from the civic center.

It would distinguish U of M hockey from every other program in the nation.

Of course we'd need to have a team that people would get excited about.

My plan: Forget the wild. Tuck the rink sideways into the home end of the field and set up the Viking temp seats on the open side. Play North Dakota - North Star Cup - Wisconsin on three consecutive weekends. Sell 30,000 seats and a lot of beer on Friday-Saturday each weekend. Maybe even bring back the clear dasher boards from the civic center.

It would distinguish U of M hockey from every other program in the nation.

Of course we'd need to have a team that people would get excited about.

I agree that if you're going to do it, to set the rink up like you just stated. Hockey in a football stadium is terrible otherwise. I went to the game vs Ohio St. a couple years ago and while it was a fun event, the hockey viewing was terrible.

I guess IF we were to do it again, it would help if the opponent was someone like North Dakota or Wisconsin, but I would hate to have a game vs one of those teams be determined by the weather or ice conditions. The game in Chicago against Wisconsin a few years ago was a complete farce with the ice conditions (puddles on the ice, etc.). It was better when they did it here, but it still wasn't ideal ice and really slowed the game down. From what I heard the ice conditions were pretty good for the Wild game, but maybe they just got lucky (or was a different company making the ice?).

I agree that if you're going to do it, to set the rink up like you just stated. Hockey in a football stadium is terrible otherwise. I went to the game vs Ohio St. a couple years ago and while it was a fun event, the hockey viewing was terrible.

I guess IF we were to do it again, it would help if the opponent was someone like North Dakota or Wisconsin, but I would hate to have a game vs one of those teams be determined by the weather or ice conditions. The game in Chicago against Wisconsin a few years ago was a complete farce with the ice conditions (puddles on the ice, etc.). It was better when they did it here, but it still wasn't ideal ice and really slowed the game down. From what I heard the ice conditions were pretty good for the Wild game, but maybe they just got lucky (or was a different company making the ice?).
Every game matters in terms of making the tournament in college hockey, Lucia has said he doesn't want to play outdoor games because the conditions take away from the actual game play and he doesn't want that costing his team a potential win. Especially for a team like the Gophers that is usually built on speed and puck control, the outdoor ice is typically sluggish and unpredictable making both of those strategies more difficult. There is no way the Gophers would every play more than 1 outdoor game in a year.

Top Bottom