NFL team wants to interview Fleck for head coaching job

Go Gophers!!
He must be misinformed. Many GH'ers have told us that storied CFB programs like ND, Michigan, and Texas would never seriously consider Fleck with his hokey slogans and RTB mantra. Now you're telling me an NFL team would? Must be a misprint. /s

Every football team wants one thing: wins. If they think Fleck will win, they couldn't care less about what comes with it or how he does it. I'm not saying he'll get another job (or is even interested), but I contend that those who dismiss any possibility are jaded by their own views of Fleck's coaching style.

While I wouldn't be shocked, let's just say I'd be very, very surprised if Fleck was offered a head coaching job. His style of coaching would not fit in well with the NFL (reminds me a bit of when Lou Holtz became the Jets head coach - did not make it through one season). He's never been an offensive or defensive coordinator at any level, his NFL coaching experience was as a wide receivers coach. However, never underestimate the stupidity of an NFL owner.

I have heard that it is Detroit who is planning on interviewing P.J.

There have been reports that NFL clubs are also interested in Pat Fitzgerald.

As far as Fleck, no - he is not a big X's and O's guy. His thing is motivation, and recruiting. The recruiting angle doesn't play in the pros, unless it's with recruiting free agents. but the motivation thing might play with the right team - maybe a team with a lot of younger players who are closer to college age.

But - look at the bright side. If Fleck leaves for the NFL, then Sanford is probably gone as the Gophers' OC............

Wonder if any of the current coaches would get a shot at HC? Rossi? Simon?

There have been reports that NFL clubs are also interested in Pat Fitzgerald.

As far as Fleck, no - he is not a big X's and O's guy. His thing is motivation, and recruiting. The recruiting angle doesn't play in the pros, unless it's with recruiting free agents. but the motivation thing might play with the right team - maybe a team with a lot of younger players who are closer to college age.

But - look at the bright side. If Fleck leaves for the NFL, then Sanford is probably gone as the Gophers' OC............

Wonder if any of the current coaches would get a shot at HC? Rossi? Simon?

There is no bright side to Fleck leaving now for the NFL

While I wouldn't be shocked, let's just say I'd be very, very surprised if Fleck was offered a head coaching job. His style of coaching would not fit in well with the NFL (reminds me a bit of when Lou Holtz became the Jets head coach - did not make it through one season). He's never been an offensive or defensive coordinator at any level, his NFL coaching experience was as a wide receivers coach. However, never underestimate the stupidity of an NFL owner.

At this point in time....I just don't see Fleck's rah-rah mentality working in the NFL. His row the boat mantra definitely wouldn't catch on with millionaire athletes, imo.

Fleck isn’t leaving... I think part of what he loves about college is the education/formation aspect that young adults still seek!

Rah Rah types have done well in the NFL before. But flame out pretty fast. See Harbaugh, Jim. Can't find the reference, cross-reference with asshole who couldn't get along with management.

Has he been fired yet?

He must be misinformed. Many GH'ers have told us that storied CFB programs like ND, Michigan, and Texas would never seriously consider Fleck with his hokey slogans and RTB mantra. Now you're telling me an NFL team would? Must be a misprint. /s

Every football team wants one thing: wins. If they think Fleck will win, they couldn't care less about what comes with it or how he does it. I'm not saying he'll get another job (or is even interested), but I contend that those who dismiss any possibility are jaded by their own views of Fleck's coaching style.

Fleck is a smart guy, I think he'd realize that a message for a 26 year old millionaire has to be different than a 18 year old college FR. I'm sure he could do it. I think he is a good evaluator of talent and a good teacher. I don't know if it would fit for him and I would be worried that part of what makes him special is his ability to build a culture around a group of young men, it's obviously different in the NFL. So essentially, you'd be taking one of his greatest strengths and minimizing it.

I'm one of those people who doesn't think ND or Michigan would really prefer a guy like Fleck. But let me be clear, it isn't because I don't think Fleck would be successful there, it's because I think those types of programs can be snobs. It's not that I think their traditions are more important than anything, I think THEY think that.

Fleck would be an awesome NFL coach.
He's a leader and a CEO type.

He would likely have less control as an NFL coach compared to what he does right now.
Also, his impact on each player might be less than the impact he can make with college kids.

Fleck being looked at by NFL is a solid thing for MN program. Fleck can use this a thousand different ways in recruiting.

Fleck leaving would be a disaster for MN. We need at least 3 to 5 years of winning to build enough momentum to withstand a coaching change (brings un better recruits, which gives us a better fir a good coach.)

I think the Lou Holtz / Jets analogy is a good one. Neither his style or PJ's seen to translate to the NFL.

PJ isn't all that different from Pete Carroll or Sean McVay. Carroll has won a Super Bowl and McVay has been to one.

NFL teams have been hiring more and more young coaches in recent years. Matt Rhule, Zac Taylor, Matt LaFluer, Kliff Kingsbury, McVay, etc and you can argue that Fleck has proven more than all of them prior to being hired.

I have no doubt that if Fleck wants to be a NFL coach, someone will offer him a job. I don't think it will be this offseason though.

I have heard that it is Detroit who is planning on interviewing P.J.
Nothing wrong with that, more power to PJ Fleck if an NFL team want's to interview him, you cannot hold a good man down. Those that say his schtick or philosophy would not work in the NFL, I disagree, good coaches and people are good coaches. How he would coach grown adult men, professional players is certainly different than that of a college head coach. I don't know if I would take the Lions job with Stafford being a pending free agent, but the man seems to have earned himself this opportunity, and I do not begrudge him for it even if it meant a loss for my Gophers.

PJ isn't all that different from Pete Carroll or Sean McVay. Carroll has won a Super Bowl and McVay has been to one.

NFL teams have been hiring more and more young coaches in recent years. Matt Rhule, Zac Taylor, Matt LaFluer, Kliff Kingsbury, McVay, etc and you can argue that Fleck has proven more than all of them prior to being hired.

I have no doubt that if Fleck wants to be a NFL coach, someone will offer him a job. I don't think it will be this offseason though.

This is hilarious. Comparing Fleck to Pete Caroll? Really? He had many years in college and the NFL before being a head coach, including time as a coordinator and multiple years as an assistant with the same schools/teams. McVay was a coordinator in the NFL prior to being a head coach, and again spent multiple years with one program.

There is no comparison between those two and Fleck, and readiness to be a head coach in the NFL.

That said, would be fun to see him go. Detroit would be dumb enough to hire him, and he could have a Year 0 with Stafford leaving.

This is hilarious. Comparing Fleck to Pete Caroll? Really? He had many years in college and the NFL before being a head coach, including time as a coordinator and multiple years as an assistant with the same schools/teams. McVay was a coordinator in the NFL prior to being a head coach, and again spent multiple years with one program.

There is no comparison between those two and Fleck, and readiness to be a head coach in the NFL.

I was comparing Fleck's personality to Carroll and McVay. I also didn't realize being a coordinator guarantee's success in the NFL. (hint it doesn't) Fleck doesn't need to be an X's and O's guy in the NFL any more than he needs to be one in college. That's what coordinators are for.

Fleck has proven he can win as a HC at multiple stops. He's done more in college than Rhule and he was hired. Kingsbury didn't even win at Texas Tech, with Patrick Mahomes as his QB for a few years. He was still hired and has Arizona trending in the right direction.

I was comparing Fleck's personality to Carroll and McVay. I also didn't realize being a coordinator guarantee's success in the NFL. (hint it doesn't) Fleck doesn't need to be an X's and O's guy in the NFL any more than he needs to be one in college. That's what coordinators are for.

Fleck has proven he can win as a HC at multiple stops. He's done more in college than Rhule and he was hired. Kingsbury didn't even win at Texas Tech, with Patrick Mahomes as his QB for a few years. He was still hired and has Arizona trending in the right direction.
If I am an NFL GM I understand his ability to recruit and motivate but what does he bring in terms of either defensive or offensive philosophy? At minimum I need an innovative bent on one side of the ball, I am not sure from an NFL interviewing standpoint PJ brings that right now.

If I am an NFL GM I understand his ability to recruit and motivate but what does he bring in terms of either defensive or offensive philosophy? At minimum I need an innovative bent on one side of the ball, I am not sure from an NFL interviewing standpoint PJ brings that right now.

The Gophers run the RPO extremely well, and more NFL teams are moving in that direction. Motivation is necessary for any NFL coach, and he definitely brings that. The NFL is also a young mans game, with the average age of players being 26.

So even though his motivation tactics may have to change a bit, he's mostly coaching players a few years older than he is coaching now. Once they get over 30, most teams look for younger replacements unless you're a superstar.

Top Bottom