NFL draft QB rankings

BigGopher69

Reaction score
Who are your top 5 QBs prior to the NFL draft? I have 1. Lawrence, 2. Wilson, 3. Fields, 4. Lance, 5. Mac Jones. I think Mac jones is overrated and not a top 10 talent and Trey Lance could be a better option then Fields with the right coaches and system. I am also super high on Zach Wilson and think he would be the first pick in most drafts if Trevor Lawrence was not there.

If Trey Lance is taken ahead of Fields it would be a major blunder. That's just not P5 football up in No Dak.

I always like to see Chris Simms’ QB rankings. He has been pretty spot on the drafts he has done it for. This year he has Wilson, Lawrence, Jones, Mond, Fields, and then Lance. I personally don’t agree with that completely- mainly Mond being ahead of Fields and Lance, but I also thought that Herbert would be a bust so what do I know?

Jones and Lance are so hard to grade.

Jones had to have 30% of yards, first downs on swing passes to the outside.
Lance is big, fast and has a huge arm. While he didn't play against the best competition, I think Mac Jones actually had easier throws than Lance (due to being surrounded by 5 1st round draft picks at skill positions).

I guess I'd go:
(1) Lawrence
(2) Wilson
(3) Lance
(4) Fields
(5) Jones

I always like to see Chris Simms’ QB rankings. He has been pretty spot on the drafts he has done it for. This year he has Wilson, Lawrence, Jones, Mond, Fields, and then Lance. I personally don’t agree with that completely- mainly Mond being ahead of Fields and Lance, but I also thought that Herbert would be a bust so what do I know?
I'm in the same boat. Simms is great but I really unimpressed with Kellen Mond.

I'm in the same boat. Simms is great but I really unimpressed with Kellen Mond.
Yeah, I watched a couple of A&M games this year and he did not look like anything special. I specifically remember him going 11/34 for 105 yards against a mediocre LSU defense.

Jones and Lance are so hard to grade.

Jones had to have 30% of yards, first downs on swing passes to the outside.
Lance is big, fast and has a huge arm. While he didn't play against the best competition, I think Mac Jones actually had easier throws than Lance (due to being surrounded by 5 1st round draft picks at skill positions).

I guess I'd go:
(1) Lawrence
(2) Wilson
(3) Lance
(4) Fields
(5) Jones
I'm coming around on Mac Jones. I guess he's off the charts cerebrally; the work he does pre-snap is nothing short of amazing and he's apparently the most accurate of all 5. I still like Wilson better than him, Lance I'm not sure. Lance is supposed to have easily the biggest arm, and he's been incredibly impressive in the meetings and football IQ. It will be interesting to see how much Fields' recent medical info impacts his draft status.

I'm coming around on Mac Jones. I guess he's off the charts cerebrally; the work he does pre-snap is nothing short of amazing and he's apparently the most accurate of all 5. I still like Wilson better than him, Lance I'm not sure. Lance is supposed to have easily the biggest arm, and he's been incredibly impressive in the meetings and football IQ. It will be interesting to see how much Fields' recent medical info impacts his draft status.
I think Lawrence and Wilson could play in any offensive system. I think Jones, Fields, and Lance definitely need to end up in the right system and situation for them to succeed. Jones does seem pretty tailor-made for kyle shanahan’s offense. Probably why the 49ers traded up to 3. Honestly I am the most skeptical about Fields through no fault of his own. Just seems like all the most recent Ohio State QBs have excelled in college, but have had very unsuccessful NFL careers.

Last edited:

Who are your top 5 QBs prior to the NFL draft? I have 1. Lawrence, 2. Wilson, 3. Fields, 4. Lance, 5. Mac Jones. I think Mac jones is overrated and not a top 10 talent and Trey Lance could be a better option then Fields with the right coaches and system. I am also super high on Zach Wilson and think he would be the first pick in most drafts if Trevor Lawrence was not there.
I think i have same order.

I think Lawrence and Wilson could play in any offensive system. I think Jones, Fields, and Lance definitely need to end up in the right system and situation for them to succeed. Jones does seem pretty tailor-made for kyle shanahan’s offense. Probably why the 49ers traded up to 3. Honestly I am the most skeptical about Fields through no fault of his own. Just seems like all the most recent Ohio State QBs have excelled in college, but have had very unsuccessful NFL careers.
Agree.

For a team that needs a QB to step in on day one and be the guy, Lawrence and Wilson might be the only 2 capable of doing that. The other 3 listed could all be really good QBs but will probably need some time to get acclimated to the NFL game. Of those 3 I think Lance has the steepest learning curve because he only has one year as a starter against FCS competition so he has never gone up against defensive players anywhere close to the caliber of the ones he will see in the NFL.

Lance is a hard one to assess. After seeing a handful of NDSU games, I was not sold at all. In his one year, he only averaged 18 pass attempts a game. At least in the games I saw, he would look down field, and if his first option wasn't there and wide open, he'd tuck and run. Hence, the relatively few pass attempts a game. He would also throw a lot on the run, after he's broken out of the pocket, extended the play, and bought time to have the defense break down before throwing. He was just better physically as a runner than the defensive FCS players, and so he could get away with it. Maybe his arm talent is good enough that he'll be able to adapt in the NFL and succeed. I have no idea. He obviously is talented, but there's no way IMO that he's worth a top 10 pick, much less a first round pick. Seeing one year at the FCS level isn't enough for me as a GM, but I'm also not much of a gambler. His game reminded me of Lamar Jackson, although even Jackson was more of a pocket passer at Louisville than Lance was. I'm not equating Lance's talent to Jackson's, but rather the style of play.

Lance is a hard one to assess. After seeing a handful of NDSU games, I was not sold at all. In his one year, he only averaged 18 pass attempts a game. At least in the games I saw, he would look down field, and if his first option wasn't there and wide open, he'd tuck and run. Hence, the relatively few pass attempts a game. He would also throw a lot on the run, after he's broken out of the pocket, extended the play, and bought time to have the defense break down before throwing. He was just better physically as a runner than the defensive FCS players, and so he could get away with it. Maybe his arm talent is good enough that he'll be able to adapt in the NFL and succeed. I have no idea. He obviously is talented, but there's no way IMO that he's worth a top 10 pick, much less a first round pick. Seeing one year at the FCS level isn't enough for me as a GM, but I'm also not much of a gambler. His game reminded me of Lamar Jackson, although even Jackson was more of a pocket passer at Louisville than Lance was. I'm not equating Lance's talent to Jackson's, but rather the style of play.
Nice to have a report from someone who has seen him in person. I fear he is the new Mitch Trubisky. Hope he goes before 14, that would help Vikings.

I was at the ndsu illinois state playoff game and Lance didnt do anything, would have never known he was an nfl prospect, james robinson looked good was the whole illinois state team, final score was 9 to 3

according to several media accounts, the 49'ers are planning to take Lance with the #3 pick in the 1st round. They reportedly like him better than Mac Jones.

according to several media accounts, the 49'ers are planning to take Lance with the #3 pick in the 1st round. They reportedly like him better than Mac Jones.
Other than the fact that it's the week of the draft and I don't believe anything that comes out, I have my doubts about this. I would still lean towards Jones being picked by Shanahan/Lynch, but who the hell knows? If true, I would be excited to see Lance go to a strong roster like the 49ers where he would have a good chance of succeeding, whether it's this year or beyond. Lance has some serious talent, but it could take a year or two

Honestly I am the most skeptical about Fields through no fault of his own. Just seems like all the most recent Ohio State QBs have excelled in college, but have had very unsuccessful NFL careers.
Regardless of how he's dealing with it, the epilepsy news can't be a good thing for Fields' draft stock. The medicals are about the most important thing the teams look at when it comes to drafting, especially as high as Fields COULD have gone. Admittedly, I don't have a clue how this affects his ability to play QB in the NFL so maybe it's not major, but it can't help.

Does he get drafted outside of the top 10? Or well beyond? Would he have been picked outside of the top 10 anyway?

Top Bottom