NFL Draft Camp; Combine Profile - Tyler Johnson

Just Gopher It!!

Reaction score
Thought their analysis overall is pretty accurate. I hope he kills his 40 as that should alleviate a lot of the questions surrounding him currently.

Found three guys that they ranked higher from the Big Ten. Smh

BE471CD1-86BB-4B7F-A6FF-59E71C84D9CB.jpeg

Thought their analysis overall is pretty accurate. I hope he kills his 40 as that should alleviate a lot of the questions surrounding him currently.

Wow, this is a brutal. They didn’t even mention his concentration drops, which is a legit concern. The comment about his leaping ability and catch radius is surprising, assuming this analyst watched a lot of his film.

Weaknesses
  • Tight hips limit agility to elude press
  • Lacks leaping ability and arm length for desired catch radius
  • Top-end speed falls below the NFL mark
  • Unable to find second gear to run under throws
  • Route work doesn't throw defender off the scent
  • Below average foot quickness to cross-up corners at route stem
  • Disappointing separation burst out of breaks
  • Has had issues fighting the football into the middle of the field
  • Physical after the catch, but not very elusive

Wow, this is a brutal. They didn’t even mention his concentration drops, which is a legit concern. The comment about his leaping ability and catch radius is surprising, assuming this analyst watched a lot of his film.

Weaknesses

Not surprised his list of weaknesses is fairly long, he has only been playing WR for a few seasons and I don't think he got the greatest coaching at that position prior to Fleck/Simon coming on board.

There has also been some discussion about how Bateman is going to do without Johnson to draw attention away from him, but I honestly think of the two, the guy that really benefited from that dynamic was Johnson.

Not going to go back through games or try to figure out how teams were deploying their defensive backs against us. But if someone did, I bet they would find that more often then not the #1 corner on the other team was matched up on Bateman.

TJ needs to kill it in the 40 to really improve his stock. He will definitely get drafted and whoever drafts him will get a solid player with some room for growth, but that 40 time will probably have a huge impact on how early his name is called on draft day.

Weaknesses

Legitimately hilarious bullet points. The AnaylstEX800 bot spits these things out in random order.

Oh, Zeirlein again. That explains a lot.

Weaknesses

I know nothing about tight hips, but they cannot say that TJ lacks leaping ability. There were many leaping catches that TJ made, and it looked like his vertical was off the charts. I want to see his combine vertical numbers, and then we can make fun of this assessment. The drops early in the year did bug me, but he seemed to get better late in the season. GO GOPHERS!

Some commentary regarding Bill Walsh‘s WR assessments, a guy who knows some things about playmaking receivers. The examples he uses are old(er) school but the more things change the more they stay the same. Does Johnson fit all or most of these?

"The critical factor at wide receiver in my mind," said Bill Walsh, "is agility and body control, the ability to change your body position, often off the ground, in order to get your hands in position to make the catch, a la Cris Carter of Minnesota. He would be the ideal in that respect. That particular characteristic must be there for the receiver to be considered a Pro Bowl or a Hall of Fame player. You must have that to get to the highest tier of play."

"Hands are vital, but you almost have to assume that anyone you are considering is going to have outstanding hands. The difference between players is the agility and strength that was mentioned. That allows them to get into position to make the catch, to use their hands.

"We can have drills where the receiver is running under the ball and making great catch after great catch. So people would assume that he has outstanding hands. But in reality, most catches are made with the ball and the defender closing at the same instant and the receiver having to reverse his body into a totally different position, get your hands up and catch the ball and be hit at the same moment. That is the key element in greatness -- agility and strength together.

"Focus is critical here. The ability to find the ball, focusing on it and isolating it from everything else that's happening. When you are evaluating the tapes, you look for those plays that demonstrate those situations. You make a evaluation tape of those plays."

"Strength that is somewhat related to girth. You need to power through players. When you are bounced into players you must be able to keep your feet, regain your balance and move into position and continue your pass route. So there has to be a certain amount of strength, as Jerry Rice or John Taylor demonstrated so often with the 49ers."

"When you'[re] matched up against a great corner, you can't beat him early. You have to beat him as late as possible. So, it doesn't require you to be masterful in your feet, your ins, your cuts; it requires you to be masterful in your understanding of timing. I need to be open at the last second, when the ball's arriving, because I'm only going to be open for that second with this kind of a guy."

"These guys, they keep trying to run away from people and think 'I'm going to get wide open.' There is no such thing as ‘wide open' when you're playing a great corner. They're always going to be tight on you. So you're complaining, because you beat them too early, and they get back there right around the time the ball is getting there. That's why you beat him late, and you're the only person there when the ball gets there. For the corner, it's too late for you to recover, because [he] pushed off at the last possible second."

"Pure speed is helpful, but full-stride speed becomes important. You would like a receiver with the ball in the open field to be able to keep the separation with the closing defenders until he gets over the goal line. He doesn't have to outrun them. He doesn't have to gain ground on them. He just has to get there before they do so he scores. So it doesn't have to be sprinters' speed, but full-stride speed.

"A good example of that was Mike Quick when he was at Philadelphia. He had just an average 40 time, but once in the open field the long strides gave him the functional speed to stay away or get away from defenders. Dwight Clark, believe it or not, was never caught from behind once he got into full stride. Now he used the field to weave and bend, but he was never caught. And Jerry Rice will never be caught from behind by anyone if they both have the same, basic starting point.

"Now there have been other people who have been Olympic sprinters who get tangled up and can't get back into full stride quickly enough and somebody just comes up and overwhelms them from out of nowhere. If they catch the ball and there is any contact at all, by the time they get back in running stride, the people have closed on them. Full-stride speed is the key."

Mystified by the lack of leaping ability comment. TJ has high pointed so many balls in the past few years. Heck, even when some one else scores and TJ leaps to congratulate, his knees seem up at the other guy’s helmet.

That could literally be the way they decided to rank ’em. ?‍♂️ essentially.

Top Bottom