Next Gopher Head Coach

Based on what? Miles has a much higher floor. Worst case, he's a similar recruiter and better coach than Pitino.

New Mexico says Pitino > Miles and I agree. I definitely think Mitchell has a higher ceiling than Pitino so a higher ceiling than Miles as well. Dont mess with the transitive property. ☺

Last edited:

Other options 1-5 are better than Mitchell > Miles >Saunders

I disagree, however you certainly may be proved correct. We'll see. Gates and Mitchell are my top two but i trust coyle to make the best choice.

Seems to me that the two i mentioned have high ceilings. Also really important to hit the ground running as far as recruiting and i think gates and mitchell have a good chance of doing that

He's not my top 3-5, but I don't think he would be a disaster hire. We could do a lot worse IMO.
Pretty MN response...mastering the negative. You would be disappointed if he was to be hired, correct?

Why is Bobby Jackson not considered a viable coaching candidate for the Gophers? Although he doesn't have head coaching experience, neither did Lindsay Whelan before she became our coach. Bobby possesses the same 'X' factor winning persona that will make both of them successful Gopher coaches. Bobby's currently an assistant coach with Sacramento Kings and returning to Minnesota seems like good karma for Bobby to make the transition to head coach.

After experiencing his own highs and lows as a star player for the Gophers, Bobby's witnessed the consequences of a successful program gone wrong. He's got years of competitive connections to draw from in assembling a strong coaching staff. Bobby has a winning personality that would energize the Gophers' fan base and attract quality recruits to Williams Arena.

Why is Bobby Jackson not considered a viable coaching candidate for the Gophers? Although he doesn't have head coaching experience, neither did Lindsay Whelan before she became our coach. Bobby possesses the same 'X' factor winning persona that will make both of them successful Gopher coaches. Bobby's currently an assistant coach with Sacramento Kings and returning to Minnesota seems like good karma for Bobby to make the transition to head coach.

After experiencing his own highs and lows as a star player for the Gophers, Bobby's witnessed the consequences of a successful program gone wrong. He's got years of competitive connections to draw from in assembling a strong coaching staff. Bobby has a winning personality that would energize the Gophers' fan base and attract quality recruits to Williams Arena.
Because he played on a Gopher team that will--for right or wrong--be considered a bunch of cheaters.

Is there a possibility at all that Coyle punts on this year? He isnt happy with the results of his search and so hires a one year interim coach. Then revisits the issue next season?

If Mitchell was an actual candidate he wouldn't be reaching out to everyone in the media to get his name out there....
what have you been hearing? You hearing the same thing as Writer....Gates or Smith seem to be the guys?

I disagree, however you certainly may be proved correct. We'll see. Gates and Mitchell are my top two but i trust coyle to make the best choice.

Seems to me that the two i mentioned have high ceilings. Also really important to hit the ground running as far as recruiting and i think gates and mitchell have a good chance of doing that
Pitino was hired because he had a high ceiling.

Is there a possibility at all that Coyle punts on this year? He isnt happy with the results of his search and so hires a one year interim coach. Then revisits the issue next season?
No, that would be a horrible idea. What recruits are going to commit to a school fully knowing that the coach they are committing to was hired as a temporary thing and won't be retained?

That would be dumb. There are a lot of good candidates available now, that would just waste a year of rebuilding time.

New Mexico says Pitino > Miles and I agree. I definitely think Mitchell has a higher ceiling than Pitino so a higher ceiling than Miles as well. Dont mess with the transitive property. ☺
Mitchell might have a higher ceiling on the off chance he's a great recruiter. But he has a much lower floor. Huge boom/bust potential at best.

The odds of recruits flocking to play for a guy who has coached one interim season in the NBA since they were 4 years old are remote.

No, that would be a horrible idea. What recruits are going to commit to a school fully knowing that the coach they are committing to was hired as a temporary thing and won't be retained?

Would be also not good to have to settle for a subpar coach. Wonder if this has ever happened. Probly not i suppose.

Mitchell might have a higher ceiling on the off chance he's a great recruiter. But he has a much lower floor. Huge boom/bust potential at best.

Probly true. Coyle would have to put him thru the wringer to see where he is at.

No. The crop of candidates this year is as good as it's going to get and the relative competition for them is as low as it's going to get.

Unfortunately Smiths Utah State team did not impress me.
As a fan of the Summit League SDSU, facing Smith's USD teams didn't worry me. I'll never forget when USD won their regular season title - they clinched it on the road, and when they got back to Vermillion, Smith took the team to the arena, brought out the ladders and cut down the nets. I remember thinking that when you are in a one bid league, you do that if and when you win the tournament. And they lost in the semi's. Smith deserves credit for making the Yotes relevant again, but he never did win the tournament.

Last edited:

We are not even a week into the search and most of the coaches Coyle may be interested in are still coaching. Wow, don't need to be that worried. This is a good job, and there are/will be plenty of people interested.

We are not even a week into the search and most of the coaches Coyle may be interested in are still coaching. Wow, don't need to be that worried. This is a good job, and there are/will be plenty of people interested.

No doubt. Just thinking worst case scenario.

No thanks on Boynton. This is his 4th year and first year they've been above .500 in the conference. They still only finished 5th in the regular season with the #1 player in the country.

The only reason they are playing in the NCAA this season is because they are appealing their postseason ban. Plus one of the reasons Cunningham signed with them is because they hired his brother.

There are many better options.

This is more of an argument FOR Boynton. The issues came up before Boynton was hired and is bringing a team facing likely probation into the tournament.

As far as only doing well because they landed a top end recruit, I have a hard time holding that against Boynton either.

Mrs. Pitino - I hope you're not serious with this question. How would you go about doing something like that? WHY would you do something like that?

Just because you didn't want Richard to get what was coming, doesn't mean there isn't a viable candidate out there right now, or very soon!

Pretty MN response...mastering the negative. You would be disappointed if he was to be hired, correct?
Yes, probably. I don't see where he is a better candidate than many of the others. I'm on this thread hating on Dutcher (my lowest of the lowest on my poll) and to be honest, I don't understand all of the love for Gates. I'd like to see a few more years instead of a couple of adequate years. That's just me. I'm good with Smith, Mussleman. Niko is lower on my list, but I don't think that would be a bad hire, just not a preferred one for me.

This is more of an argument FOR Boynton. The issues came up before Boynton was hired and is bringing a team facing likely probation into the tournament.

As far as only doing well because they landed a top end recruit, I have a hard time holding that against Boynton either.

Boynton was on Underwoods staff at Oklahoma St when Lamont Evans was there, and he was on Underwoods staff that also had issues at Stephen F Austin.

His recruiting has been Pitino like outside of Cunningham, and his record was not good coming into this season which is his 4th.

Pitino even beat him by 20 just last season. Take Cunningham off this team and he'd likely be on the hot seat. He has zero commits for next season.

Like the UW prez? Ummm no

Top Bottom