News, Notes, Tid-Bits & Quotes: Gophers Rally to Down Ohio 27-24 on Homecoming

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
News, Notes, Tid-Bits & Quotes: Gophers Rally to Down Ohio 27-24 on Homecoming
By Grant Erickson and Travis Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/558039?referrer_id=388419

A grueling non-conference schedule culminated with an exciting finish as the Gophers topped Ohio, 27-24, on homecoming. Minnesota was down four late in the game, but marched 78 yards for the game-winning touchdown with under a minute remaining.

“It’s good to see us come back and win the game,” said Jerry Kill. “I told our kids in the locker room that I couldn’t be more proud.”

Come-From-Behind Victory

After Ohio kicked a field goal to go up four with just 2:36 left on the clock, it looked like a difficult road for the Gopher offense.

“We’re a very confident group,” said Rodney Smith. “It’s always a good feeling when nobody out there on the field is nervous and you can count on them to go out there and make a play. It really showed because nobody in the huddle ever got down. We got out there and made plays when it was time to make plays.”

It was the second late-game scoring drive of the year for Minnesota. The Gophers marched 78 yards in 11 plays – capped off by Shannon Brooks’ second touchdown – to take the lead. Ohio made it interesting, bringing the ensuing kickoff into Gopher territory. The Bobcats had one Hail Mary chance against an injury-plagued Minnesota defense.

“Personally, there wasn’t a lot of anxiety,” said Eric Murray. “I didn’t feel any anxiety standing around looking at new faces either. I think it was a big moment for us as a defense and for them as well because they don’t have a lot of experience, and for them to step in, in that big moment, that was huge for us.”

Leidner Shines

After a disappointing performance last week against Kent State, Mitch Leidner looked like a different player. The junior completed 22 of 32 passes for 264 yards and zero interceptions. Leidner was sacked just once and rushed for a touchdown.

“He was very upbeat,” said Smith of Leidner leading up to the game. “He stayed positive. We never held our head down. We got to practice on Sunday and we practiced with tempo. We preached being productive this week as an offense. We went out there and executed and I believe that showed on the field today.”

On the Gophers’ final drive, Leidner threw for 41 yards and helped the offense drive for the score. The two-minute offense was an impressive drive for Minnesota.

“We rep [the two-minute offense] a lot in the summer and camp,” said Leidner. “It’s one of those things where you get down to the wire there and every quarterback is looking for that opportunity where the game’s on your shoulders.”

Leidner impressed Kill with his ability to march the team down for the win.

“He did what he needed to do,” said Kill. “Everyone is going to make three or four mistakes playing quarterback but bottom line is, the kid finds a way to win and he found a way to win today.”

Brooks Breaks Out

True freshman Shannon Brooks hardly saw the field in Minnesota’s first three games. On Saturday, the Georgia native showed he deserved more carries with an 82-yard, two-touchdown performance.

“He’ll be a great player,” said Kill of Brooks. “Probably should have played him earlier, right? He played pretty good to me.”

Brooks wasn’t worried about the increased responsibility on Saturday.

“Going into the game, I wasn’t really nervous that much,” said Brooks.

No one was happier for Brooks than fellow running back Rodney Smith.

“We have a good connection,” said Smith of his relationship with Brooks. “We hang out a lot. We were roommates before the game. It was more exciting watching him score his first touchdown than it was scoring my first touchdown. I really can’t explain why but I felt like a big brother. We put in all that work this summer and seeing him go out there and produce on the field made me feel good.”

Maroney’s Homecoming

On Saturday, Gopher great Laurence Maroney made his return to the U after nearly a decade. He spoke with the two freshmen running backs after the game.

“It was great,” said Smith. “He had a very positive vibe and feel like we, as a team, need that. He gave us some words of wisdom and I think we’ll take those words moving forward.”

Brooks believes Maroney’s motivation will help in the future.

“It was a great experience seeing somebody that great that came here and did great things here,” said Brooks. “Coming in here and talking to us, it’s always great to see people like that come back to the university and give us positive talks—it keeps us going.”

By the Numbers:

264 Passing yards for Mitch Leidner; a new career high. He surpassed his previous high of 258 yards against Missouri in the BWW Citrus Bowl.

8.2 Yards per carry for true freshman Shannon Brooks, who finished with 82 yards and two touchdowns on just 10 carries.

6 Fumbles for the Gophers. They lost only one, but the lack of ball security could have cost Minnesota the victory. It’s certainly an area for improvement heading into the Big Ten season.

152 Total yards for Rodney Smith. He ran for 94 yards on 16 carries and was a threat in the passing game, snagging four passes for 58 yards.

Top Bottom