New to GH and disappointed by some of you...no Kleenex needed though

Ruggers

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum but not new to viewing the postings here. There has been some very good insight and I read this every single day hoping to pick up some nuggets or learn something new from one of the experts here. I always thought the contributors to this site were the ones leading the charge and the hopefuls...shame on me.

I do have season tickets since TCF opened...I do wear the maroon and gold NO MATTER WHAT...the Gophers are not great, nor are they good but they are improving. I'm not going to write a 4,000 word essay because my name's not A.J. but I cannot stand on the side lines anymore and read the crap that some of you are writing.

I got off the purple bandwagon 14 years ago because I became disenfranchised and swore I would never let a professional team get my hopes up again and turned to the Gophers that I grew up watching as long as I can remember even though I went to UND and SCSU-yes, I am a Gopher fan through and through.

I recognize that we all are disappointed but guys/gals, keep your emotions in check...remember, we were 3-9 last year-we lost games that were just down right embarrassing...we won those this year! ...and we actually won some conference games this year...I don't care who there were against and I don't care where they were played OR how we won them. WE ARE 6-6 AND ARE GOING TO A BOWL GAME.

If you don't like the improvements, STOP WATCHING THE GAMES...SELL YOUR TICKETS. I get so tired of hearing the whining of what we aren't...NO, we are NOT Wisconsin or Ohio State, we are MINNESOTA! Be proud of what is being done here and not of what we aren't. Be proud of the kids that are working their butts off and the slow but IMPROVING program that Kill and his team are making.

Stop the emotional negativity...have a beer or two, enjoy the game and keep cheering for the maroon and gold-we are getting better.

"and we actually won some conference games this year."

Why yes they did. They won two. The same number that Kill won last year. The same number that Horton won the year before. One LESS than Brewster won in 2009 and 2008. Two MORE than he won in 2007. One less than Mason won in 2006, 04 and 02. Two less than he won in 05. Three less than he won in 03 and yes, the same number he won in 01.

Kill "actually won" more Conference Games this year than one other time in the last 11 actually, 15 years.

You apparently feel that means he is above all criticism. That seems odd.

"You apparently feel that means he is above all criticism. That seems odd.

Where do you read that? I don't read Ruggers' post as putting Kill in a criticism-free zone.

Fact is, someone could've made a fair amount of coin in Vegas betting the "over" on Golden Gopher football wins for the 2012 season in early August.

I, for one, am no more satisfied with the season's outcome than I was when Brew's '08 team won seven games. However, I am pleasantly surprised with six wins this fall.

Just because I'm happy with the 2012 outcome given the roster doesn't mean I've given up on casting a critical eye at Kill and his staff going forward...

Can't let them get to you, Ruggers. Some people are so beaten down they only know one mode (pissed/convinced we're screwed). Some people are trolling, and some people (like the genius who started the thread about turning down a bowl invite) are just really, really dumb.

I, and most fans, are with you. Lots of room for improvement, but early indications are that we're moving in the right direction. Lets hope it stays that way.

Welcome Ruggers,

I been a lifelong Gopher fan and a longtime poster here. I try to keep a level head too. What that means to me is that you try to look at the positives and unfortunately keep expectations relatively low. That's just the way it is as a Gopher football fan and I don't see it changing overnight. Kill has a chance to take us in the right direction. The reality is that it may take two or three good coaches in a row to get this program up to the level most of us want to see. That means no missteps like a Brewster or Wacker hire.

thanks for the welcome-I really do enjoy the postings here and some of the banter too-can be quite entertaining actually. My expectations for this program are not high by any means and GFG, I agree with you, it's going to take some time between coaches, records and recruits...and the empty seats at TCF are disappointing too but in the end, I don't expect the Rose Bowl but hope for a competitive program which starts with exactly what you said, a coach that takes us in the right direction which I truly believe Kill is doing but just needs a little time...I'm willing to be patient.

GH is like the stock market filled with highs and lows. GH-ers want the Gophers to win big and often. Even if Kill can get the program in a good position, many forget that this process will take time. I remember Coach Kill comment that he probably wouldn't have taken the job if he knew how bad things were when he took over. And the talent level and depth is not close to what it needs to be to compete with the bigs.

I am one who was pleased when Coach Kill was hired. He has a solid track record and his NIU squad beat the Gophers soundly. BTW, the Limegrover critics fail to remember that he was the one calling the plays when NIU ran and passed all over the Gophers and completely dominated the Gophers. Now he rarely does anything right in the eyes of the "experts'.

Patience is one quality that Gopher fans need.

Ruggers first off welcome. The issue you I have with your post is that you are following the idea that you can't be critical and still be a fan which I think is BS.

If you read the posts here you can see people frustrated with some of the things we see but it is not like everyone is calling for Kill to be fired. Bottom line is in year 2 Kill has us in a bowl game which is great and a definite improvement over last season. That being said we were not competitive in most of our Big Ten games this year, the offense has looked lost much of the time, the defense can't stop the run...there are lots of issues that hopefully will be corrected next year.

I am a die-hard Gopher fan and I want to see this program succeed. I can see some improvement over last year but I am still not 100% sold Kill is the guy who is going to get it done here (I hope he is, but it is not like people were beating down his door. We got him after everyone else turned us down). He needs a minimum of 4 years before any decision on his future with the program should be made, however there also needs to be more improvement next season. There is no way this team should be anything less than 4-0 in the non-conf and the expectation should be an improvement in the number of Big Ten wins next season.

There were certainly positives to take from this season but there were also plenty of negatives that are still evident. Time will tell if Kill is the guy to get it done, hopefully we can avoid all the negative PR stuff next season and just focus on football.

...There is no way this team should be anything less than 4-0 in the non-conf and the expectation should be an improvement in the number of Big Ten wins next season.

There were certainly positives to take from this season but there were also plenty of negatives that are still evident. Time will tell if Kill is the guy to get it done, hopefully we can avoid all the negative PR stuff next season and just focus on football.

Not to nitpick or get off topic (though this does both) but though I agree with most of what you say here, I don't expect an improvement in B1G wins next year, though I do expect a markedly improved team.
I think a reasonable progression is for us to soundly beat all of our noncon opponents, and look like we belong on the field with most of the B1G. But we got absolutely owned in pretty much every game we lost this season, we got lucky to face an atrocious Illinois team and Purdue in a tailspin this year (and to hit on those big plays when we did), and next season we have no Illinois, no Purdue, and an improving Indiana on the road. So there's a very real chance this team could be noticeably improved next year and have a worse conference record. Because anyone who watched the games knows that we're a LONG, LONG way from competing with Nebraska, Michigan, WI, MSU, etc. Just saying.

There was a big difference between the first and second year of practice. Focus and stamina increased, most everyone was on the same page. We are not there yet, but we go bowling anyway. Having coaches that stay and are dedicated to the program helps. It is a good place to hang out with other Gopher Fans even if we are like a dysfunctional family. Welcome...

Not to nitpick or get off topic (though this does both) but though I agree with most of what you say here, I don't expect an improvement in B1G wins next year, though I do expect a markedly improved team.
I think a reasonable progression is for us to soundly beat all of our noncon opponents, and look like we belong on the field with most of the B1G. But we got absolutely owned in pretty much every game we lost this season, we got lucky to face an atrocious Illinois team and Purdue in a tailspin this year (and to hit on those big plays when we did), and next season we have no Illinois, no Purdue, and an improving Indiana on the road. So there's a very real chance this team could be noticeably improved next year and have a worse conference record. Because anyone who watched the games knows that we're a LONG, LONG way from competing with Nebraska, Michigan, WI, MSU, etc. Just saying.

You can say we are a long way from competing with MSU. However, we only lost by a TD to them on the road last year, and they were a better team then. Comparing 2011 @MSU with 2012 MSU at TCF, it is tough to argue that we took a step in the right direction. I will not be satisfied without an improvement in conference wins next year. I do not think that it is unreasonable to expect a new coach to win 3 conference games in one of his first three seasons, when an interim coach managed to win 2 conference games in 5 chances with a team that was 1-6 with a loss to an FCS school. Kill should be able to take a 6-6 team with more of his players and more improvement to at least a 3-5 B1G record next year.

I do not think that it is unreasonable to expect a new coach to win 3 conference games in one of his first three seasons, when an interim coach managed to win 2 conference games in 5 chances with a team that was 1-6 with a loss to an FCS school. Kill should be able to take a 6-6 team with more of his players and more improvement to at least a 3-5 B1G record next year.

You're falling into the trap of assuming every team/program is in a near-identical general situation. Yes, we hung with MSU last year, but that was last year. We also could have easily lost to UNLV or 'Cuse this year, and got absolutely owned by an average MSU team. Likewise, Horton was coaching a different team, and had different goals.

I agree that in general, you'd think a coach in his 3rd year could win 3 B1G games. But no program exists "in general." Each year and each team is a special situation. On paper, at least, our schedule looks tougher next year. We should be better next year (just like we were better this year than last). But so should Indiana, Wisconsin and MSU. I wouldn't be shocked to see 7 wins, but I'd say the odds are just as good we see an better team that still only wins 5-6.

Ruggers first off welcome. The issue you I have with your post is that you are following the idea that you can't be critical and still be a fan which I think is BS.

If you read the posts here you can see people frustrated with some of the things we see but it is not like everyone is calling for Kill to be fired. Bottom line is in year 2 Kill has us in a bowl game which is great and a definite improvement over last season. That being said we were not competitive in most of our Big Ten games this year, the offense has looked lost much of the time, the defense can't stop the run...there are lots of issues that hopefully will be corrected next year.

I am a die-hard Gopher fan and I want to see this program succeed. I can see some improvement over last year but I am still not 100% sold Kill is the guy who is going to get it done here (I hope he is, but it is not like people were beating down his door. We got him after everyone else turned us down). He needs a minimum of 4 years before any decision on his future with the program should be made, however there also needs to be more improvement next season. There is no way this team should be anything less than 4-0 in the non-conf and the expectation should be an improvement in the number of Big Ten wins next season.

Hopefully, we have a solid commitment from President Kaler & AD Teague for a Wisconsin type turn around under Donna Shalala & Barry Alvarez. The downhill tailspin I believe started long before C Peter McGrath's tenure. IMHO, the competition got better while the Gophers football program went in decline except we did a little better in the Glenn Mason era but not good enough to compete with the big boys.

We need to attract more 4* star players to compete at a higher level. Good coaching will only take you so far, you need the thoroughbred horses that are game breakers. Until we can do that, we will always be second tier in the B1G.

We need the amenities that will help attract quality recruits like a new practice facility. They also need to do something to attract fans, students, and donors to come to the games. That may require re-laying out the areas around the stadium to make it more amenable to fans. Creating a plaza & providing closer places for tailgating, and so forth can make a difference.

We share in the frustrations in the manner that they played & lose games, and in the slew of injuries. We've been conditioned to losing for so long it is actually refreshing when people moan and vent. It is a sign that people are starting to care more. Apathy is a disease that is hard to cure. We don't always agree with one another. One thing we are all in agreement - We want the Gophers to win. We want to see the Axe, The Jug, and the Pig in the trophy case more often.

It will take some time to turn this program around. Coach Kill is a good start. The jury is still out on his tenure. It has only been two years and we have doubled the victories over last season. It may take more than the length of Coach Kill's contract. We appear to be heading in the right direction. But, let's be real. It is tough to turn around this program.

So until then, we have to wait and see where this program goes in the next two seasons.

Yes, welcome Ruggers!

You can't allow all of the online, wanna be coaches who think they have all of the answers type folks drag you down. You have provided a very level-headed assesment of where the program is at and where we are headed. I agree, we are definitely heading in the right direction with a very young squad, but it's going to take some time to build the foundation. Kill is on the right track, seizures or no seizures.

...and for those that believe that Kill's seizures are going to cost us big-time recruits...please, you've got to be kidding me!

Enjoy the ride, and lets look forward to our first bowl game in several years!

...and for those that believe that Kill's seizures are going to cost us big-time recruits...please, you've got to be kidding me!!

Seeing how his recruiting class ranked last in the conference last year and is on pace to rank last again this year a lot more than seizures the problem with recruiting.

There are some good points to be made: our worst losses were with totals in the thirties - 38-13, 31-13, etc. Compare to that to the 58-0 and other 50 and 40-point blowouts that were commonplace when we played Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska in the past. We used to take those losses for granted. But brace for the bowl game - after watching what Baylor did to a really good (if tired) K-State team and what Texas Tech did to W. Virgina, with our offense, it could be painful. If he can, I hope Gray starts at QB.

Top Bottom