New roster is up

The roster shows "Gr." for Academic Year if they're in grad school.

Nah. The "GR" on the roster just indicates the player arrived at Minnesota as a grad transfer.

There are several older players enrolled in grad school on the current roster that don't have the GR.

That said, it is also common for football players to earn their undergrad degrees, remain playing, while not pursuing grad school. Many will enroll in other undergrad courses, or work on additional undergrad minors/degrees.

Last edited:

Nah. The "GR" on the roster just indicates the player arrived at Minnesota as a grad transfer.

There are several older players enrolled in grad school on the current roster that don't have the GR.

That said, it is also common for football players to earn their undergrad degrees, remain playing, while not pursuing grad school. Many will enroll in other undergrad courses, or work on additional undergrad minors/degrees.
Ope, my bad

Wow. Time flies in a blink of an eye. A few thoughts:

• Daniel Jackson will suit up for his 5th year this fall. It feels like just yesterday when we were talking about him as a young WR ready to take the next steps in the next 2-3 years. Crazy.
  • La'Meke will be a senior and it feels like a big missed opportunity.
  • Marcus Major is intriguing being a 6th year guy. He's the dark horse guy on our offense. Oklahoma fans said he has real, game breaking talent.
  • Bryce coming back for his 7th year, good for him. He't not an NFL prospect, let the kid finish up his football career with his bros doing what he loves. A lot of unfortunate injuries.
  • We have loads of of experience and older guys on our DL. I hope we can figure out our LB corps and secondary because our DL should be pretty nasty and fairly deep.

Wow. Time flies in a blink of an eye. A few thoughts:

• Daniel Jackson will suit up for his 5th year this fall. It feels like just yesterday when we were talking about him as a young WR ready to take the next steps in the next 2-3 years. Crazy.
  • La'Meke will be a senior and it feels like a big missed opportunity.
  • Marcus Major is intriguing being a 6th year guy. He's the dark horse guy on our offense. Oklahoma fans said he has real, game breaking talent.
  • Bryce coming back for his 7th year, good for him. He't not an NFL prospect, let the kid finish up his football career with his bros doing what he loves. A lot of unfortunate injuries.
  • We have loads of of experience and older guys on our DL. I hope we can figure out our LB corps and secondary because our DL should be pretty nasty and fairly deep.
Brockington is only a Jr and not on list above either. Was a Freshman when catching winning td at WI in 22.

The "GR" on the roster just indicates the player arrived at Minnesota as a grad transfer.
Not correct and easily proven so: Quinn Carroll is listed on the 2023 roster as a 5th year in the "Academic Year" column.
https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/2023

But for the 2024 roster he is listed as a Gr in the "Academic Year" column.

I will freely admit that I have no idea what the ground truth is here.

It would be silly and absurd if the official roster was inconsistently applying the labels to various players. If the player is in a graduate program at the U, regardless how many years they've been year and if they transferred in or not, they should be labeled with "Gr" in the "Academic Year" column.

If they are still enrolled in an undergraduate program, regardless if they've already completed enough credits to earn one, then another label is appropriate.

The fact of the matter is that the whole thing is so far beyond the original meaning of the labels "freshman", "sophomore", "junior", and "senior" that coming up with these additional labels isn't really that helpful.

It's easier, for me at least, to use the information of "total years/at Minnesota" and "years of eligibility left" to talk about those things for the roster, in my opinion.

Brockington is only a Jr and not on list above either. Was a Freshman when catching winning td at WI in 22.
Just like with AK, I thought that 22 Wisconsin game was a sign of huge things to come in the passing offense and that Brockington would figure into a big part of it.

I know he was hampered by injury this past season.

Just like with AK, I thought that 22 Wisconsin game was a sign of huge things to come in the passing offense and that Brockington would figure into a big part of it.

I know he was hampered by injury this past season.
I said AK would outshine Drake Maye this year. The Gophers did pick off Maye twice and one should have been taken for six but the offensive passing that game was a sign of things to come.

Of the 18 listed as last year of eligibility, virtually all are meaningful contributors (assuming the 2024 transfers will be). The 2024 team will be a very experienced, which is a good thing. The Gophs will lose all those 18 plus Esery (and perhaps another one or two ... unless the NIL flow is good enough to convince NFL-ready top performers to utilize another year of eligibility). The 2025 team, on the other hand, will have big pockets of inexperience (but perhaps good young developing athletes) across the board ... unless PJ hits the portal hard with success. It's a brave new world. Go Gophers.

Not correct and easily proven so: Quinn Carroll is listed on the 2023 roster as a 5th year in the "Academic Year" column.
https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/2023

But for the 2024 roster he is listed as a Gr in the "Academic Year" column.

I will freely admit that I have no idea what the ground truth is here.

Correct, the 2023 roster did not use the GR at all as a label.

Clearly, Carroll was enrolled in grad school in 2023. By rule, a grad transfer has to be.

Correct, the 2023 roster did not use the GR at all as a label.

Clearly, Carroll was enrolled in grad school in 2023. By rule, a grad transfer has to be.
Where are you seeing that QC grad transferred here? For example: https://www.si.com/college/notredam...football-quinn-carroll-enters-transfer-portal

doesn't have any words starting with "grad" in it. Not proof of course, but would seem odd to not mention it. First page of Google search results doesn't either.

"Gr" does not mean graduate transfer. That much is absolutely certain. It means the player is a graduate student, as in, that's their "class" (a label akin to "freshman", "sophomore", etc.).

You are 100% wrong if you think it means grad transfer.

You're probably right. It is just coincidence then that ALL of the players listed as GR are indeed grad transfers.
The only players listed on the roster as "GR" are grad transfers. Not a single original Gopher recruit (or an undergard transfer) is listed as a GR, although by now--with the highest GPA in the B1G--some of those original Gopher recruits must be in grad school.

There are a number of players originally recruited as Gophers, or who transferred to the Gophers while still undergards, who are listed by a post-year-4 of eligibility. Jackson, Henderson, Striggow, Crawford and Kesich are listed a 5th year. B. Williams, LeCaptain, Cooper, Kallerup and Richter are listed as 6th year. Kallerup, to take one, was an Academic All Big Ten in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. I would venture that it is near impossible for Kallerup to have those academic credentials and not have obtained his undergraduate degree after 6 years. Actually, in addition to Kallerup, LeCaptain, Cooper and Richter (all 6th year) were each Academic All B1G in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. These are the prototype student-athletes who would easily qualify for graduate school and, by their sixth year at the U, should be in a graduate program. It is almost inconceivable that not a one of Kallerup, LeCaptain, Cooper and Richter--all top end students--would have yet received an undergrad degree by their 6th year of eligibility.

So, for what it is worth, I believe this year's roster uses "GR" to indicate a grad transfer origin and nothing more.

Last edited:

You're probably right. It is just coincidence then that ALL of the players listed as GR are indeed grad transfers.
You're probably right. Under a category called "Academic Year", along with labels such as "Sr" "Jr" "So", the label "Gr", which if you click on any of them expands to "Class: Graduate Student" in the bio, can only be used to describe graduate transfers.

It's not allowed for any player who did not transfer here as a graduate transfer, to be a graduate student and be labeled as such on the roster.

Can't make it up :ROFLMAO:

There are a number of players originally recruited as Gophers, or who transferred to the Gophers while still undergards, who are listed by a post-year-4 of eligibility. Jackson, Henderson, Striggow, Crawford and Kesich are listed a 5th year. B. Williams, LeCaptain, Cooper, Kallerup and Richter are listed as 6th year. Kallerup, to take one, was an Academic All Big Ten in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. I would venture that it is near impossible for Kallerup to have those academic credentials and not have obtained his undergraduate degree after 6 years.
It could very easily mean he simply has chosen not to enroll into a graduate program.

There is no requirement to do so, to remain eligible in the NCAA.

He could, for example, have started another undergraduate degree entirely or be working on multiple minors.

You're probably right. Under a category called "Academic Year", along with labels such as "Sr" "Jr" "So", the label "Gr", which if you click on any of them expands to "Class: Graduate Student" in the bio, can only be used to describe graduate transfers.

It's not allowed for any player who did not transfer here as a graduate transfer, to be a graduate student and be labeled as such on the roster.

Can't make it up :ROFLMAO:

I'm not saying it can only be used for anything. Never, ever said that. You make up shit in your mind and your mind can't help itself to go racing with some weird theories.

I'm simply saying, as of now, the GR is being used to indicate grad transfer on the roster. Maybe it'll change to include other grad school enrollees, I don't know. But, for now, it is exactly that. You can choose to believe what you want, I really don't care.

Last edited:

It is almost inconceivable that not a one of Kallerup, LeCaptain, Cooper and Richter--all top end students--would have yet received an undergrad degree by their 6th year of eligibility.

Exactly. Nathan Boe, for example, attended grad school this past season. Amazingly, no indication of GR on his roster listing.

I'm simply saying, as of now, the GR is being used to indicate grad transfer on the roster.
VGxtSKF.png

Why would they purposefully withhold the honor of "Class: Graduate Student" from non-transfers who have enrolled in a graduate program???

That makes no sense, and is quite disrespectful to the non-transfers who have achieved that honor.

I won't believe you unless you can supply actual evidence of non-transfer players, who don't have that indication on the roster, who are enrolled in a graduate program.

I won't take your word for it.

You can choose to believe what you want
For now, I will.

If you can supply actual evidence (not your word), I will admit I was wrong and then contact the website to complain about such an absolute absurdity.

VGxtSKF.png

Why would they purposefully withhold the honor of "Class: Graduate Student" from non-transfers who have enrolled in a graduate program???

That makes no sense, and is quite disrespectful to the non-transfers who have achieved that honor.

I won't believe you unless you can supply actual evidence of non-transfer players, who don't have that indication on the roster, who are enrolled in a graduate program.

I won't take your word for it.

For now, I will.

If you can supply actual evidence (not your word), I will admit I was wrong and then contact the website to complain about such an absolute absurdity.
How about you provide the evidence, since you're the one who 100% knows what's going on.

How about you provide the evidence
I did, in post #55.

It says "Class: Graduate Student".

Since words have definitions that are already established, it is correct to assume that such a labeling would be applied to any and all members of the roster who have achieved the honor of enrolling in a graduate program.

There would be no possible valid reason to deny them that honor, and it would be disrespectful to do so.

I wrote to the football admin regarding roster nomenclature. He is the essence of the response:

1. Players listed as Graduates on the roster are players who transferred to the Gophers after graduating from another institution. It is strictly a "portal" designation. This category does not include players who are now in graduate studies, but started their careers at Minnesota, or transferred to Minnesota while still undergrads.

2. Gopher game notes (published before each game) list/recognizes all players who are currently in graduate studies, whether or not a grad transfer.

3. On the 2023 roster, in addition to the grad transfers on the team, the following Gophers were already in graduate studies: CrAB, BSF, N. Boe, T. Cooper, B. Williams, B. Weeks, K. Shaw, M. Crawford, JJ Guedet, L. Richter, D. LeCaptain and C. Kramer.

4. On the current 2023-24 roster, therefore, we know that at least the following players are not listed as Graduates but are in fact in graduate studies: T. Cooper, B. Williams, M. Crawford, L. Richter and D. LeCaptain. Before the 2024 season begins, I suspect that a few other academic high-performers, such as D. Jackson and N. Kallerup, who will have been in school for at least 4 years, might join this group of Gopher graduates listed as 5th or 6th year players in the 2024 roster.

Part of the confusion with a guy like Quinn Carroll). I suspect, is that last year the roster didn’t have a “Grad” roster category. This year it does.

Go Gophers!

Last edited:

I wrote to the football admin regarding roster nomenclature. He is the essence of the response:

1. Players listed as Graduates on the roster are players who transferred to the Gophers after graduating from another institution. It is strictly a "portal" designation. This category does not include players who are now in graduate studies, but started their careers at Minnesota, or transferred to Minnesota while still undergrads.

2. Gopher game notes (published before each game) list/recognizes all players who are currently in graduate studies, whether or not a grad transfer.

3. On the 2023 roster, in addition to the grad transfers on the team, the following Gophers were already in graduate studies: CrAB, BSF, N. Boe, T. Cooper, B. Williams, B. Weeks, K. Shaw, M. Crawford, JJ Guedet, L. Richter, D. LeCaptain and C. Kramer.

4. On the current 2023-24 roster, therefore, we know that at least the following players are not listed as Graduates but are in fact in graduate studies: T. Cooper, B. Williams, M. Crawford, L. Richter and D. LeCaptain. Before the 2024 season begins, I suspect that a few other academic high-performers, such as D. Jackson and N. Kallerup, who will have been in school for at least 4 years, might join this group of Gopher graduates listed as 5th or 6th year players in the 2024 roster.

Go Gophers!

Huh, who knew? LOL

Great work on this.

Top Bottom